Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Mushroom-Hut Shop: Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineerrorserror
explorer
Air pump effectiveness and moisture loss
    #1109496 - 12/04/02 09:04 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Hey there,
I have two seperate questions regarding the colonization stage. An incubator is being used to keep pf style jars at 80 degrees. Now if the jars are touching the bottom surface of the rubbermaid, which is quite warm, is evaporation of the water in the jars going to speed up? Should the jars not touch the warm surface? Also, i know that air exchange is very important, so would it not be effective to use an air pump in some water/H2O2 solution to provide fresh air? Does the air pump even provide fresh air? I have been confused about this for a while. I plan on fruiting with three seperate methods: Casing, straight cakes in terrarium with perlite, and in vitro tek. The air pump question will play an important role in how i provide fresh air, so your help is really appreciated. Thanks! j

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBilge
longtimenoC

Loc: USA
Re: Air pump effectiveness and moisture loss [Re: errorserror]
    #1109520 - 12/04/02 09:19 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

if your jars are sealed, they shouldn't lose any moisture through evaporation.

if the bottom of the container is greater than 90 degrees F or so, the jars should not touch the bottom. if it's below that then you should be fine.

air exchange is not important for standard pf style jars if they are sealed.

the idea behind pumping air into water/H2O2 is that the pump is outside the container pumping air inside the container so the air coming from outside is considered "fresh". the H2O2 is used to prevent contams.

the pump can be used to provide fresh air but the air moving through the water also effects humidity. but since casings and cakes (and in vitro, i presume) all need different humidities you may want to have separate fruiting containers and therefore probably separate air pumps for each.

my suggestion: just do casings and humidify and aerate with air pump from outside fruting container to bowl of water/perlite/H2O2 on the inside.

--------------------
Shopping for your head? Visit HeadShopFinder.com or find Online Head Shops.

Offlineerrorserror
explorer
Re: Air pump effectiveness and moisture loss [Re: Bilge]
    #1110917 - 12/04/02 06:06 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for the tips. So it looks like im in good shape. What do you guys like to use to make it so the jars arent in direct contact with the rubbermaid? Ive read using things like wire fencing and such. What do you use? Thanks Bilge for the info. J

Offlineerrorserror
explorer
Re: Air pump effectiveness and moisture loss [Re: errorserror]
    #1110919 - 12/04/02 06:06 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

In reply to:

Thanks for the tips. So it looks like im in good shape. What do you guys like to use to make it so the jars arent in direct contact with the rubbermaid? Ive read using things like wire fencing and such. What do you use? Thanks Bilge for the info. J

Jump to top Pages: 1

Mushroom-Hut Shop: Substrate Mix