Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Anonymous

shroomery content and CI Host's policies
    #1109195 - 12/04/02 04:27 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

does the shroomery server activity viloate CI Host's policies regarding content?

i've read it and it appears it does... i may be wrong... maybe someone can expand on this... CI Host in information can be found at the bottom of the home page when u log in...

what type of problems could this become for a member who posts incriminating information on grow operations. sharing information is one thing, as a citizen this is our right... but knowing how to do something and actually doing it are seperate issues...

granted this is an extreme but i'll toss it out there: knowing how to make bombs is one thing... spreading that information is still, technically under the law, legal... making that bomb, jail time...

there are many other things out goverment is concerned with at the moment... controlling terrorism is highest on the list.... but there is a growing perception that illegal drugs and their use are one of the US's greatest problems...

i've been told the shroomery's server is based in the United States... i don't pretend to understand constitutional law at the level it would need to be understood to speak with authority... but what type of problem does that pose to a member who lives within the US?

if the points i raise are non issues, i would love to hear why... i'm not laying this out there to stir up emotions... i'm merely pointing out anyone who grows active species is at some risk from the start... posting high volume grow ops seems very risky... are u consuming all the mushrooms personally? no? distribution charges...

for the record, i believe that all citizens of the world should have rights to allow for personal experimentation of any compound... it's a personal decision u and u live with the consequences...as archaic as the laws are, they are laws non the less... and they need to be considered...

is the shroomery server violating CI Host's policies? and what are all the potential repercussions? can content CI Host manages be supeonaed? what about the shroomery's server?

this is a cross post, but i wanted to make sure an admin had a chance to give me an opinion on this... i don't know the answer...

for the record, i'm not looking to be banned from this server...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline3DSHROOM
loon
Male

Re: shroomery content and CI Host's policies [Re: Anonymous]
    #1109332 - 12/04/02 07:43 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

CIHost hasn't said anything about our content, and we've been hosting our site with them for a while now (1+ years).  They never said anything when we hosted on a shared server.  When I took the new server to the co-location center, I spoke with one of the main managers.  He knew I was the "shroomery.org" account.  He was really cool about the whole thing and seemed almost excited about our site... :smile:

Posting detailed evidence of a large grow op, although fairly safe, still isn't the best idea in the world if you have a lot to loose.

--------------------
Your friendly neighborhood loon

Anonymous

Re: shroomery content and CI Host's policies [Re: 3DSHROOM]
    #1109403 - 12/04/02 08:17 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

my shroom rating is already taking a beating over this... thats funny....

3d... i think u see my point... CI host's policies are clear... was this included as part of their policy agreement to satify legal issues, and they choose not to enforce it? it's cool that the person u worked with understood the nature of the shroomery and had no problems... but it is impossible for u or anyone else to really know whats happening below the surface...

maybe i should have not said anything... i don't know...

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #1109588 - 12/04/02 10:05 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Don't forget that even if CIhost had favorable policies towards site's like ours; we still have to assume that the US government could at any time take our server....

Thats a worst case scenario of course, but when your in a hobby like this you don't ignore those possibilities.

The best advice to anyone is to either not do anything illegal, or if you do; don't tell anyone.

The admins are responsible for doing our part to ensure the safety of this site, but we are at the mercy of US law if they ever decide to clamp down on free speech on the internet.. I don't think they want that battle, but thats just my opinion.

We do have plans in the future to eventually get this server up to Canada to be hosted, but that could be another year or more.

Anonymous

Re: shroomery content and CI Host's policies [Re: Thor]
    #1109683 - 12/04/02 11:03 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

> Don't forget that even if CIhost had favorable policies towards site's like ours; we still have to assume that the US government could at any time take our server....

u understand and seem to agree... i appreciate that Thor... i began thinking about all the people willing to freely share their experiences with everyone else. i believe the shroomery is a great resource. in no way was i cutting anyone down... i believe people should have the right to do whatever they want as long as it does not impact on others..

with the world changing as rapidly as it is, i tend to look at all possibilities...

preserving free speech is essential, but i understand some of the provisions of the homeland security act create a new game altogether. the goverment takes on odd battles all the time. any type of drug use is being demonized now more then ever before. it is clearly being made a matter of national security... the irony lies in the fact that goverment agencies raised money for covert operations by ignoring or aiding in the trafficing of narcotics... Iran Contra and Maxine Waters' arguements over her Los Angeles community come to mind...

what are the problems with moving the server to canada? would we need to move someone along with the server? what are the problems with a move? maybe the community would work together.. i don't know... u might be surprised what people might be willing to do

again, i hope the members know i only raised the issues because the dangers seem real enough, not because i wanted to freak people out...

thanks for posting ur thoughts...

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

#1112385 - 12/05/02 12:58 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Well we have a contract that is not up for another 6 months, and we don't have anyone to look after the server here in Canada.

But its something I've been looking into, so I'm sure that after our contract is over with CIhost that we can look better at our options then.

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: shroomery content and CI Host's policies [Re: Thor]
    #1112415 - 12/05/02 01:16 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

What advice have you been given from lawyers regarding the safety of members? I mean to ask, what can I do to ensure maximum benefit of this site while maintaining minimum legal liability?

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Re: shroomery content and CI Host's policies [Re: Joshua]
    #1112425 - 12/05/02 01:23 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Well to be honest they recommend you not post any pictures, or anything that could possibly link you to those pictures. However, those pictures you post are very difficult to use against you because pictures of mushrooms are not accepted as 'proof' that they are illegal.

The advice lawyers typically give us is that people shouldn't do illegal activities unless they are prepared to deal with the consequences. I mean of course thats easy to say, but in all honesty is having mushrooms growing in your house worth having your house seized? or going to jail?

I would never grow anything in my own home, but thats a choice I made last year after seriously looking at the risk vs rewards of this hobby. Everyone growing should think hard about that. If you want to take the risk, then the key is to not tell anyone, not even friends.. OR you could grow them somewhere other than your home.

I think the step that ensures this sites safety is simply to move it up to Canada.

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: Joshua]
    #1112432 - 12/05/02 01:26 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Anonymous

Re: shroomery content and CI Host's policies [Re: matts]
    #1112793 - 12/05/02 05:42 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

i'm glad that more people are getting involved with this thread...

owners of this server have an obligation to offer maximum protection to the members...

let the members know what we can do to help u out...

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
    #1117029 - 12/06/02 11:36 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I think that the possibility that the government after seizing the server would then go through the trouble of tracking down every personal address and perusing those individuals is fairly low. Thats not to say that by posting grow logs and freely sending out your address you are not putting yourself at risk because I truly believe that you are. I believe as someone in this thread stated every individual must assess the risk involved in his or her actions. The level of risk associated with someone who is growing large quantities of illegal mushrooms for the purpose of say supplying a vendor would best be served by staying off a public Bulletin board. The average Joe who grows a few ? pint jars a year may feel less at risk and may post more freely, that is not to say that he or she is safe though. I of course only grow edibles and have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Shine On

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

Invisibledeprave
GrandmasterToker

Loc: DownUnder
Re: shroomery content and CI Host's policies [Re: Ripple]
    #1230232 - 01/19/03 01:38 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

amen  :laugh: :laugh:

--------------------

NONE OF THE ABOVE IS TRUE I LIKE TO WRITE STORIES

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules