Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecrotch
Stranger
mass contamination haz-mat
    #11087573 - 09/19/09 08:03 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

i have a ginourmous contam in my room. i found out my grandmother was dieng so i ran across the country leaving my room to rot. my grandmother passed and i grieved. i did not go home for months and couple tubs and casings rotted. i am talking about some big tubs. grean covered everything. these tubs and casings have been throwing off trich spores for months into this room. this room is so infested and i need to clean it but i dont know how.
this is the problem: this is not a small room i have lots of control over. this is a huge room, with high ceilings. i dont know how i am going to totally clean it. brand new hardwood floors, i dont want to mess up with bleach. a small room i would bleach and lysol top to bottom. i cant even reach these ceilings. anyone have any ideas how to clean it? anyone know of a way to mass disinfect a huge area?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecne9999
Stranger Danger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Sol system
Re: mass contamination haz-mat [Re: crotch]
    #11087595 - 09/19/09 08:12 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Wow! 

I would invest in a glove box, laminar flow hood, and grow-tent!

But seriously.  I wouldn't know where to begin.  Maybe call in a professional?

sorry to hear it bud.

--------------------
  Say hello to my little friend.    and...      From Sonny

AFOAF's Coffee Experiment  //  Rye Berry Cakes  //  My FOAF  //  I killed my baby Cubes!
Get a freaking camera!  //  Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle  //  I love P.c.Burma!

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: mass contamination haz-mat [Re: cne9999]
    #11087658 - 09/19/09 08:31 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Sorry to hear about your situation.
Clean it the way you'd clean anything. As far as the ceiling, get a ladder or extension pole.
Start with a good vacuum cleaning, or several. Then wipe, wash, rise. Paint if needed.
Get one of those ionic filters and run it to remove residual spores from the air.

And then consider that those spores were blowing all around the house, not just in the one room.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Offlinecrotch
Stranger
Re: mass contamination haz-mat [Re: Doc_T]
    #11088046 - 09/19/09 10:21 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

i got a posi pressure glove box. i think a tent is a good idea to look into for the future. the space i have is just to big.

for some reason didnt even think about painting. Thats a good idea and i will do it, but it made me think of another good idea.

im going to get a paint roller with an extention on it. instead of using paint i will use cleaning solution.

so what do you guys think the best cleaning solution to use with the roller is? diluted lysol concentrate? i dont want to use bleach because i am afraid of it dripping on the floor. that much alchohol would be crazy.

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
    #11093968 - 09/20/09 10:21 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Bleach won't kill mold, regardless.

I would just cross my fingers, start a new (test) project, and see how it goes.

OfflineABC
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: mass contamination haz-mat [Re: Brennus]
    #11095342 - 09/20/09 03:05 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Call the professionals

Offlinecrotch
Stranger
Re: mass contamination haz-mat [Re: ABC]
    #11099034 - 09/21/09 07:33 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

so i guess i will go with lysol concentrate, diluted and rolled. read a thing on bleach not being good for mold. disappointing. i always used alcohol for everything, this would require to much. i have always been weary of lysol concentrate because the canned stuff has alchohol in it. concentrate doesn't.
anything else i can use?

Edited by crotch (09/21/09 07:41 AM)

Offlinecne9999
Stranger Danger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11099068 - 09/21/09 07:50 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Don't forget the "Elbow Grease".

--------------------

AFOAF's Coffee Experiment  //  Rye Berry Cakes  //  My FOAF  //  I killed my baby Cubes!

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #11102561 - 09/21/09 07:52 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I'd use ordinary soap. Don't count on killing spores, just wash them away. Wash, rinse, repeat.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Offlinefundamentalchair
Stand up
 User Gallery

Re: mass contamination haz-mat [Re: Doc_T]
    #11103424 - 09/21/09 09:57 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I've been doing some research into ozone shock treatments. If you can get all organic (plastic/rubber) and metals (except gold/platinum/iridium) for a few days, It'll make everything in that room as dead as Julius Ceaser.

I'm trying to figure out if such a device is cost effective to use for a smaller room as industrial units are quite pricey.

--------------------
semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit

Sclerotia FAQ... If ya ain't got any stones, grow some.

Will work for Laetiporus sulphureus culture/spores (or any other Laetiporus actually), :pm: me.

My Trade list.

Ghetto Tek: Auto FAE & Light

Offlinefundamentalchair
Stand up
 User Gallery

Re: mass contamination haz-mat [Re: fundamentalchair]
    #11103576 - 09/21/09 10:21 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Scratch that. Ozone (at least up to 1ppm) doesn't seem to do much to mold, other than retard spore production.

In a similar situation, I have got a trich infection and I'm stupid paranoid about it all over my house. I'll most likely see if I can get a ton of IPA and one of those pump spray bottles and hit the whole house (one room at a time) then continue on with shampooing everything I can.

I was also considering building a positive pressure 'tent' room out of PVC and plastic sheeting, adding in a airlock.

--------------------

Will work for Laetiporus sulphureus culture/spores (or any other Laetiporus actually), :pm: me.

My Trade list.

Offlinecne9999
Stranger Danger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11104931 - 09/22/09 03:48 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

What about UVC light?  I use a UVC sterilizer for my tools.  This (UVC Autoclave) is the exact one I use.  It is basically a UVC autoclave, $99.00, EBay.  It kills spores dead in 10-20 seconds, actually it destroys their genes.  I also use one of those you can buy for your toothbrushes.  Both work very well.  I know there are many portable type UVC sanitizers out there as well.  Germ Guardian makes several.  I've seen them on EBay and the like.  Find the biggest one and go to town.

I also have a New Living Alpine Fresh UVC Air Purifier ozone cleaner / air sanitizer that does make a difference.  It’s a 7 stage air purifier with UVC and Ozone.  I have two, one upstairs one in my Shroom-Room that I leave running 24/7.  It's perfect for airborne contaminates in a rather large room.  It was expensive, $180.00, but it works very well.  Again, EBay.  They have worked wonders on my allergies so I know they are working. 

EBay  - Air Purifier

Just some thoughts…

--------------------

Offlinefundamentalchair
Stand up
 User Gallery

#11105229 - 09/22/09 07:38 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

UVC: While it is a great sanitizer, I'm not sure of its effectiveness on carpet, especially shag. For a portable unit for room sanitizing, I'd also have to do some more research to figure out what is considered acceptable protective measures.

ozone: Taken from the EPA "Available scientific evidence shows that at concentrations that do not exceed public health standards, ozone has little potential to remove indoor air contaminants." See http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html#are%20ozone%20generators%20effective%20in%20controlling%20pollution.

While your 7 stage air purifier (including UV and ozone) may kill contams, it does not show any sort of empirical evidence as to whether the ozone actually adds anything.

--------------------

My Trade list.

Offlinecne9999
Stranger Danger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11111617 - 09/23/09 09:58 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

While your 7 stage air purifier (including UV and ozone) may kill contams, it does not show any sort of empirical evidence as to whether the ozone actually adds anything.

A nice minty fresh smell!  OK not minty but a nice fresh smell!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.  :laugh:

My anecdotal evidence is the reduction of contaminated jars and casings over the last few months since I got the purifiers.  But that could also be attributed to me getting better at the hobby.

--------------------

Offlinefundamentalchair
Stand up
 User Gallery

#11114423 - 09/23/09 06:03 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

What i was intending to state was that with a 7 part filtration system, you know what the system does. Unfortunately, there is no way to know what the system would do with only ozone and with only the other 6 parts of filtration.

I need to get a good air filter, actually, but I need to get a hvac system in my grow room so I can thermally separate it from the rest of the house first :frown:

--------------------

My Trade list.

Offlinecne9999
Stranger Danger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11115117 - 09/23/09 07:33 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I need to get a hvac system in my grow room

For a hobby this hobby sure is freaking expensive!:mushroom2:

--------------------

Offlinefundamentalchair
Stand up
 User Gallery

#11115274 - 09/23/09 08:28 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

You're tellin me, man. I've already got like $4-500 sunk into it, and I still need to cough up another $100 for some nice shelves, $3-400 for a combo air conditioner/heater, $200 for a gas stove (my electric pisses me the fuck off), plus I have to figure out how I'm going to vent the exhaust from the HVAC (probably gonna have to sawzall a hole between the attic and the wall interior).

--------------------

My Trade list.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract