Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTryptamineDream
Stranger
Female
Possible contamination
    #11070963 - 09/16/09 03:24 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I'm not sure, but this looks as if it could be some sort of contamination. It is definitely suspicious and somewhat unhealthy looking, but I am no expert. When I first noticed this abnormality the jar was perhaps around 70% colonized, and this contamination was directly above the uncolonized area of the jar ("on" the mycelium), but did not occupy the uncolonized substrate. Since then, a week has passed, and this "contamination" has not grown or changed in appearance significantly. The mycelium has successfully colonized the remaining substrate at a normal speed. These two factors lead me to believe there is a significant possibility that this isn't a contamination, but just some substrate that got squished against the side of the jar or something.

Also, this jar was inoculated on August 7th, which means it has been colonizing for over five weeks. The slow colonization is a result of the fact that I used MS inoculation and only one inoculation point germinated, and the entire jar has been colonized from that one point. This "contamination" is on the opposite side of the jar where the mycelium has grown through the substrate to the other side. Because the mycelium has been colonizing this jar for so long, I think there is also a possibility that this stuff is just metabolites.

Feedback is appreciated... the appearance of this "contamination" reminds me of some pictures of bacterial contamination I've seen, so I want to be safe before I try birthing this jar. I've got five other successful cakes from the same batch, so if this jar is contaminated, it's no loss... however, the fact that it hasn't grown or changed (while meanwhile, the mycelium continues to colonize as rapidly as ever) leads me to believe it's not a contamination after all.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemyco_mikey_mo
Mycologist For Hire
Male User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
Re: Possible contamination [Re: TryptamineDream]
    #11070995 - 09/16/09 03:31 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

if you can birth it out in a seperate fruiting chamber. just in case it is bad. but you may be suprised, it could be nothing. whenever im not SURE its contams. i just cut a section of a two liter bottle out and birth a single cake in that. few times i've had to throw out but more than not the myc. will just grow over and it turns to be a healthy cake. but if it is contam. don't try to save it. throw it out. you can even go one step further and PC the jar before opening it...to kill everything. then make sure to discard and bleach the jar real good.

--------------------
-Give a man some mushies, He'll trip for a day...Teach a man to cultivate, He'll trip for a lifetime-
:thumbup:Self healing Tyvek and Silcone lids for Trade... PM :pm: me:thumbup:
:syringe:Looking for anybody with extra spawn bags for trade... PM:pm: me:syringe:

OfflineTryptamineDream
Stranger
Female
Re: Possible contamination [Re: myco_mikey_mo]
    #11079019 - 09/17/09 07:02 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I might go to the trouble of making another fruiting chamber, but I'd like to get some more opinions on whether or not it's a contam, if possible... so... I'm basically bumping this thread. Does anyone else have any input? Oh, and I should add that the jar doesn't smell particularly strange.

Edited by TryptamineDream (09/17/09 07:06 PM)

OfflineMycoDan
Horticulture.2.Mycology
Male

Loc: OHIO
Re: Possible contamination [Re: TryptamineDream]
    #11080864 - 09/17/09 11:34 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I dont think that its a contam. i had that happen to 1 of my jars and when i birthed it was healthy as can be. It might be metabolites, or it could be drying out a little..

Invisiblemyco_mikey_mo
Mycologist For Hire
Male User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
Re: Possible contamination [Re: MycoDan]
    #11080902 - 09/17/09 11:41 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

i have a few cakes right now that look exactly like yours. shouldn't be a problem. i'm gonna fruit mine out. and the extra fruiting container is just for extra measure. im always like that. its not needed but better safe than sorry my mama always told me.:ooo:

--------------------
-Give a man some mushies, He'll trip for a day...Teach a man to cultivate, He'll trip for a lifetime-
:thumbup:Self healing Tyvek and Silcone lids for Trade... PM :pm: me:thumbup:
:syringe:Looking for anybody with extra spawn bags for trade... PM:pm: me:syringe:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom