Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
1 in 10 Americans drink poisoned water EPA enforcement to blame
    #11063915 - 09/15/09 01:17 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

http://projects.nytimes.com/toxic-waters
EPA water act violations/enforcement by state

Clean Water Laws Are Neglected, at a Cost in Suffering - CHARLES DUHIGG
Quote:

Jennifer Hall-Massey knows not to drink the tap water in her home near Charleston, W.Va.
In fact, her entire family tries to avoid any contact with the water. Her youngest son has scabs on his arms, legs and chest where the bathwater — polluted with lead, nickel and other heavy metals — caused painful rashes. Many of his brother’s teeth were capped to replace enamel that was eaten away.
Records analyzed by The Times indicate that the Clean Water Act has been violated more than 506,000 times since 2004, by more than 23,000 companies and other facilities, according to reports submitted by polluters themselves.
And some companies illegally avoid reporting their emissions, say officials, so infractions go unrecorded.
Some violations are relatively minor. But about 60 percent of the polluters were deemed in “significant noncompliance” — meaning their violations were the most serious kind, like dumping cancer-causing chemicals or failing to measure or report when they pollute.
Finally, the Times’s research shows that fewer than 3 percent of Clean Water Act violations resulted in fines or other significant punishments by state officials.
During the 2007 to 2008 period, officials wrote, 92 percent of the population served by community water systems received water that had no reported health-based violations.

So, I know we've got a lot of people who oppose regulation like the clean water act. Just thought I'd point this out here so they could perhaps consider the actual implications of not having those regulations. Since 92% of Americans served by community water systems are being poisoned I suspect a mother-load of lawsuits regarding the water poisoning. But then again I am wearing my deluded libertarian glasses at current, so I could be wrong.

:stonedjerk:

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRoosterCogburn
Fearless,one-eyed U.S.Marshall
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South, NJ
Re: 1 in 10 Americans drink poisoned water EPA enforcement to blame [Re: ScavengerType]
    #11063927 - 09/15/09 01:20 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I use a Pur filter on my faucet... and my normal water is drinkable! I still think there's nasty shit in there.

The Pur water is sooooooo delicious. :shrug:

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Re: 1 in 10 Americans drink poisoned water EPA enforcement to blame [Re: RoosterCogburn]
    #11064126 - 09/15/09 01:53 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

there's a great possibility that that is a good fucking idea.

I should add that the figure in the title is for serious carcinogens, other harmful chemicals and heavy metals in amounts that could be dangerous. It was cited in a DN interview of the author of the quoted article.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
Conquer's Club

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Fearless,one-eyed U.S.Marshall
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South, NJ
Re: 1 in 10 Americans drink poisoned water EPA enforcement to blame [Re: ScavengerType]
    #11064160 - 09/15/09 01:58 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I have a friend who swears his Pur filter cured his heartburn... He feels like his tap water was funky.

I couldn't imagine city water... :puke:

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
    #11064252 - 09/15/09 02:17 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

just looking at the letters E P A together causes me heartburn....

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #11065122 - 09/15/09 04:53 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

since the CWA deals with the protection of surface waters that would allow lakes, streams and rivers to support life I'm not seeing it's bearing on a case of bad municipal water, water that's supposed to be tested and treated prior to it's allowance into the water supply

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Re: 1 in 10 Americans drink poisoned water EPA enforcement to blame [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #11065591 - 09/15/09 06:28 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

you know that most municipal water sources come from rivers or lakes right? Where exactly do you think all the water comes from?

--------------------
Conquer's Club

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
    #11065629 - 09/15/09 06:35 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

ScavengerType said:
you know that most municipal water sources come from rivers or lakes right? Where exactly do you think all the water comes from?

my city (almost 2 million) gets its water from an underground aquifer....

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Re: 1 in 10 Americans drink poisoned water EPA enforcement to blame [Re: lonestar2004]
    #11065675 - 09/15/09 06:45 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

how far under and which ground does make a difference, but you may be fine.

--------------------
Conquer's Club

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #11067663 - 09/16/09 12:55 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

my city gets all its water from our raw sewage aquifer

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

InvisibleGreen_T
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
    #11072857 - 09/16/09 09:02 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

92 percent of the population served by community water systems received water that had no reported health-based violations.

Quote:

Since 92% of Americans served by community water systems are being poisoned

I think you got your facts jumbled :smile:

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Re: 1 in 10 Americans drink poisoned water EPA enforcement to blame [Re: Green_T]
    #11073815 - 09/16/09 11:26 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

haha yes I must have, that would explain it. I was wondering why I couldn't find the 1 in 10 figure in the article. Also 92% did sound a little high. It's definitely an odd figure to portray in the negative, why not just say 8% did have health violations.

--------------------
Conquer's Club

InvisibleGI_Luvmoney
Vote Republican!
 User Gallery

#11087313 - 09/19/09 05:19 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Re: 1 in 10 Americans drink poisoned water EPA enforcement to blame [Re: GI_Luvmoney]
    #11088552 - 09/19/09 11:52 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Man that is some shit book. Could you pick a more archaic book at all? If you scroll down you can see the author contesting the Mauna Loa projections even though in 2008 we use multiple reading sights and Mauna Loa has been shown to be as average as possible, never mind the author's other bullshit. Further, we actually have that projected level of CO2 now.

Stop being a troll, keep it to water or GTFO.

--------------------
Conquer's Club

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11088745 - 09/19/09 12:24 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Don't feed the puppet-troll. :wink:

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Re: 1 in 10 Americans drink poisoned water EPA enforcement to blame [Re: Redstorm]
    #11088812 - 09/19/09 12:35 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

who's puppet?

--------------------
Conquer's Club

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11088841 - 09/19/09 12:40 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Great_Satan, Los_Pepes, etc.

InvisibleMistaUNGA
green crack GREEN CRACK!!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Kalifornien, im Süden...
    #11088916 - 09/19/09 12:51 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

RoosterCogburn said:
I use a Pur filter on my faucet... and my normal water is drinkable! I still think there's nasty shit in there.

The Pur water is sooooooo delicious. :shrug:

that is exactly how the free market responds to such a situation, where "only government could have saved us".

water bottling companies, purification companies etc work to produce cleaner water (usually) than what comes out of the tap, and this is why people pay for bottled water.

despite everybody's notion of the evil greedy capitalist, it's better off for him and his profits if he doesn't poison his customers, rather improves their quality of life.

--------------------
:gc:
Madtowntripper said:Or just give her a cloroform soaked rag and tell her it's ether!

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Re: 1 in 10 Americans drink poisoned water EPA enforcement to blame [Re: MistaUNGA]
    #11089060 - 09/19/09 01:14 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

see this is a typical proto-capitalist "free market" fanatic corporate ass kissing type of response.

Instead of the corporations being responsible for cleaning up their mess the individuals whom are much poorer are left to choose to clean it up themselves (if they even know about it) or bear the burden of bad health. This is fucking backwards logic if I ever saw it. There is no reason the individuals ought to be responsible for the dangerous mess that these corporations makes.

--------------------
Conquer's Club

Edited by ScavengerType (09/19/09 01:15 PM)

InvisibleMistaUNGA
green crack GREEN CRACK!!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Kalifornien, im Süden...
    #11089276 - 09/19/09 01:50 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

ScavengerType said:
see this is a typical proto-capitalist "free market" fanatic corporate ass kissing type of response.

Instead of the corporations being responsible for cleaning up their mess the individuals whom are much poorer are left to choose to clean it up themselves (if they even know about it) or bear the burden of bad health. This is fucking backwards logic if I ever saw it. There is no reason the individuals ought to be responsible for the dangerous mess that these corporations makes.

ok, let's deconstruct.
first, grammar: who. your use of whom in this case indicates your desire to elevate the linguistic register you're using (how smart you sound). yet you've left a marker that shows grammatical ineptness that sticks out like a sore thumb. sorry about that, it just bugged me.

second, it's your logic that is backwards. how you came to any of your conclusions based upon what i posted is beyond me. nothing in my previous post even alluded to such a way of business. you make it seem as if every corporation pollutes, which isnt true, mostly just industrial firms (and yes i recognize the potential for pollution along the vertical integration spectrum).

anyway, in the example with the bottled water, who forces the people to drink, say, the tap in their sink? nobody. the person could drink from another tap, or, if resources allowed it, to buy from another source (ie bottled). water that comes out of your tap you pay for. water that has been bottled you pay for. so if you're paying for it, it should meet YOUR STANDARDS OF QUALITY. being a conscious consumer is vital at this stage. this is where the consumer has to take into account the cost to produce this item, what it's made from (plastic bottle) etc.

a corporation can't pollute if it has no product to make because there is no demand for it.

i wont say that we dont need pollution regulations. it's good that they are in place. it does indeed burden businesses, who then pass these burdens on to the consumer, but that's fine. we pay for it eventually either way.

i know it's fun being a left-wing super-environmentalist and its easy to hate faceless corporations as you've been indoctrinated by your liberal college professors and al gore, the fraud, but you forget that these corporations are made up of employees, who are real people, whose income is dependent upon the corporation, and the profits it makes by selling the product it produces.

say you take down all the bottled water firms with the mighty government hand of environmentalism because they produce water in a container that causes pollution throughout its production life, and won't bio-degrade after it's been used. now you've saved the environment, but at what cost? thousands of people lose jobs, not to mention the ripple that has across their communities. further, i can think of a good example, living in southern california: we get wildfires every year that are horrendous. if nobody made bottled water, that polluted in that process, how would the firefighters be able to battle the intense dry heat without suffering dehydration?

so you see, the capitalist has again left society with a net gain, even after factoring in pollution.

if you ever want to get a clue about how economics works, go here: www.mises.org

have fun!

--------------------
:gc:
Madtowntripper said:Or just give her a cloroform soaked rag and tell her it's ether!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom