Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMagick
Thinker
 User Gallery

Mushroom hunting etiquette PLEASE READ
    #11058365 - 09/14/09 03:01 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I am writing this to establish a proper etiquette for mushroom-picking to ensure that everybody is able to have a good time without completely ruining patches and potentially messing up ecosystems etc.

Hopefully someone important will agree with me and sticky this thread! :smile:

Mushroom hunting is an absolute joy for many people, and it is especially exciting when you come across a large patch of mushrooms (whether they be edible active or deadly poisonous.) Because of this, it may be tempting for some of you to pick as many mushrooms as possible without thinking of the consequences of doing so. Likewise, some people may do damage to the mycelium system by 'yanking' the mushrooms out of the ground or the like, and some may unintentionally do harm by letting disrespectful people discover the patches, which is a bummer for everyone.

It is important to realize that while many of us here see mushrooms as a sacrament or something that needs to be respected (which is good), there are a lot of people who don't see it this way. Some people for instance see psychoactive mushrooms as just another way to 'get high' or get money and will pick, eat and/or sell every last mushroom they can get their greedy little hands on without giving any thought to anyone else or the ecosystem. While sad, it is true and thus it is important to protect the mushrooms the best you can not only from yourself, but from others as well.

----

Mushroom hunting etiquette:

1: When finding a patch of mushrooms, be sure to leave at least a few there. This is not only respectful to other mushroom pickers who may discover the patch, but it also gives some of the mushrooms a chance to drop their spores and continue on their course naturally, ensuring that more will come within that season or next season. If it is a large patch then it is advisable to leave perhaps a little less than half of the mushrooms be. Do not 'rape' a patch because this may prevent mushrooms from returning there the following years.

2: When you pick the mushrooms, make sure to pick it off from the stem and not pull out the entire mushroom(s) from the ground. This prevents messing up the mycelium network by sheer-force and thus allows more chance for the fruiting bodies to return. It's best to slice the mushrooms off cleanly at the base with a small knife/box cutter, although you can use your hands too if you are careful about it.

---Another note: Some people like to 'pluck' or tap the mushrooms while they're in the ground, to release some loose spores back into the area for recolonization. It's optional (can't hurt) but if you choose to, just tap the stem of the fungal body with your finger a few times before you collect it.

3: Try to respect not only the mushrooms themselves but also the surrounding area. Oftentimes people hunt on private property such as farms and cow-fields. In doing so, you should try to leave everything as-is, and it is wise to seek the land-owner's permission rather than trespass. You shouldn't damage or destroy any fences in the process. Also try not to disturb any cows/other animals in your hunt - it can be dangerous. Likewise these rules also apply to public places - it is everybody's land and you have no more right to mess it up than you do to vandalize a public bench in a park.

4: Possibly the most important one - Do not tell people who will disrespect such etiquette where your patches are!! They will pick every last mushroom for their own personal consumption and profit, oftentimes raping the patch in the process. If you are going to tell someone where your patch is, make sure it is someone who is respectful and won't destroy the patch for their own personal gain. Also it is wise not to tell more than one person where any specific patch is - that way, if something does happen to your patch, you will have a pretty good idea of who to point the finger at.

If everybody were to follow these simple etiquette guidelines, mushroom hunting would be a lot more fun and, ep, fruitful for everyone :smile: Thanks all, and make it a wonderful season!

(Any other guidelines people can think up are welcome!)

----
Edit 2009-09-15:
Changed *'s to numbers
Combined rules 2 and 3 (regarding handling of mushrooms when picking)
Added line regarding slicing mushrooms at base with knife
Added some stuff re.: cows

Edited by Magick (09/15/09 11:22 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisible99BOOMERMAN
The Professional
Male

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Mushroom hunting etiquette PLEASE READ [Re: Magick]
    #11058408 - 09/14/09 03:10 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

100% on the money magick, where the majority will have no issues w/ respecting patches, there will always be a duchebag or two who will ruin shit for everybody. "Misery loves company",or the "few bad apples".

--------------------
Anything posted in this thread is just some well thought out bull-shit,which is completely for entertainment purposes only.

AMU      "Q&A's  Thread"

INGENIOUS MONO TUB LINER

OfflineMagick
Thinker
 User Gallery

Re: Mushroom hunting etiquette PLEASE READ [Re: 99BOOMERMAN]
    #11058476 - 09/14/09 03:27 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Indeed, there always is. If I were to tell certain people where some of the patches I know of are, they wouldn't be there the next day (or next year)

Greed is one of the seven deadly sins and those who are greedy will eventually get what they have coming to them.

Invisible99BOOMERMAN
The Professional
Male

Loc: USA Flag
    #11058637 - 09/14/09 03:58 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

karma baby.true.

--------------------
Anything posted in this thread is just some well thought out bull-shit,which is completely for entertainment purposes only.

AMU      "Q&A's  Thread"

INGENIOUS MONO TUB LINER

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Loc: Seattle Flag
    #11058652 - 09/14/09 04:01 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Magick said:

* When picking mushrooms some people like to 'pluck' the mushrooms while they're in the ground to release their spores back into the area. This allows the recolonization of the mycelium and is a generally good move. However remember which ones you plucked so you know which ones you can still obtain good spore-prints from :wink:

I agree with everything you said but this. It's not like you can knock all the spores out of the mushroom by plucking it. The mushroom should still produce spores for hours.

But in general, you have it down. Very nice post.:headbanger:

Invisiblewhatdidusay
Travelin Raver
Male

Re: Mushroom hunting etiquette PLEASE READ [Re: Twiztidsage]
    #11058759 - 09/14/09 04:22 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

if some1 told me where a patch was i wouldnt go rape it. id pick just barely enough for a mild trip. if even that. if it was a HUGE patch like hundreds of hundreds id prolly pick like a bagfull, but id make sure to leave like at least 2/3 or 3/4 of the path there. if some1 told me where a small patch of like rare actives were, id sure as hell not pick em all. if anything id take only one, or just a couple and try and clone them or something. if anything whoever told me id prolly help to hide the patch even better from any one else who might be greedy lil bastard.

u know sometimes the ppl who tell u are greedy themselves and tell every1 they know, so if u know this u might as well make the patch harder to spot. u never know when the person who told u found out from some respectful guy etc. and if ur worried about the person who told u isnt going to be able to find it, i wouldnt, bc they will understand that u hid it for its own protection if they are cool, and if theyre greedy theyre not gonna think about this and be like wtf whered MY patch go? etc.

so help the patch out and hide it even more when you find one, or are told about one.

--------------------

InvisiblesporeRider
Proud sporeRider :)
 User Gallery

Loc: usa Flag
Re: Mushroom hunting etiquette PLEASE READ [Re: whatdidusay]
    #11058925 - 09/14/09 04:54 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

While sad, it is true and thus it is important to protect the mushrooms the best you can not only from yourself, but from others as well.

Little kids playing on trails with sticks= as their parents walkem thru the trails really can bring disaster to most of my gym spots - you don't know how many times ive been watching and waiting for specific fruits - when kids ( even unknowingly - destroy my gold!!!!

My Sort of Solution: I now pick selected dead lil saplings around my locations - and camoflouge my spots with natural sticks and forest debris - the more the "walkers" don't see my fruiting spots - the more i can document and sample myself- :thumbup: No one would find my camo spots unless i personally moved debris and showed them.....

--------------------
http://

Edited by sporeRider (09/14/09 04:56 PM)

Offlinetangoking
Lover of Boletes
 User Gallery

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Re: Mushroom hunting etiquette PLEASE READ [Re: sporeRider]
    #11059106 - 09/14/09 05:25 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

My suggestions:

1. Number your points and get rid of the *'s.
2. Add a line that says "slice the mushrooms off cleanly and the base with a knife."
3. Explain what it means to "pluck" a mushroom.

~tk

--------------------
Smurfette artwork reference:
https://www.guyhepner.com/product/smurfette-with-flowers-by-herr-nilsson/

OfflineMagick
Thinker
 User Gallery

Re: Mushroom hunting etiquette PLEASE READ [Re: tangoking]
    #11067127 - 09/15/09 10:54 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

tangoking: thanks, I've done this now. I semi-combined rules 2 and 3 since they were basically regarding the same topic and tried to clarify what I meant a little.

Also I was originally going to use a number format but changed it at the last minute :smile: It's been reverted.

OfflineMchaggis
cawbstawmper
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 'Bama Ghost Country Flag
Re: Mushroom hunting etiquette PLEASE READ [Re: tangoking]
    #11067157 - 09/15/09 10:59 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

tangoking said:
My suggestions:

1. Number your points and get rid of the *'s.
2. Add a line that says "slice the mushrooms off cleanly and the base with a knife."
3. Explain what it means to "pluck" a mushroom.

~tk

4. Include etiquette on cowfield specific etiquette, such as respecting the owner's property and suggest people ask first before hunting, and don't break fences, throw rocks at cows, etc.

OfflineMagick
Thinker
 User Gallery

Re: Mushroom hunting etiquette PLEASE READ [Re: Mchaggis]
    #11067328 - 09/15/09 11:22 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

k done =)

Offlineehtdaedlufetarg
Toadstool Taxonomy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Trusted Identifier
    #11070612 - 09/16/09 02:31 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Well done.

--------------------

OfflineMchaggis
cawbstawmper
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 'Bama Ghost Country Flag
Re: Mushroom hunting etiquette PLEASE READ [Re: ehtdaedlufetarg]
    #11070627 - 09/16/09 02:33 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it once, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body

Offlinehumanshroom
Stranger
    #15185277 - 10/06/11 07:57 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I´ve read conflicting info about the right way to pick a mushroom. On these boards it seems most say cutting or pinching at the base of the stem is best in order to not disturb the mycelium, but on other boards I´ve read the opposite, that not removing the whole stem leaves a rotting piece that can also damage the mycelium. I suppose I´ll go with cutting from now on, but there seems to be some doubt out there..

Offlineamilibertine
It’s good to be back!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northern South Midwest
Trusted Identifier
Re: Mushroom hunting etiquette PLEASE READ [Re: humanshroom]
    #15185368 - 10/06/11 08:18 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

humanshroom said:
I´ve read conflicting info about the right way to pick a mushroom. On these boards it seems most say cutting or pinching at the base of the stem is best in order to not disturb the mycelium, but on other boards I´ve read the opposite, that not removing the whole stem leaves a rotting piece that can also damage the mycelium. I suppose I´ll go with cutting from now on, but there seems to be some doubt out there..

Well, if it doesn't get picked the entire mushroom rots so I don't see why leaving a bit of the stem would be harmful to the mycelium.

:shrug:

--------------------

OfflineHarryL
Squnä'am
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington State
Re: Mushroom hunting etiquette PLEASE READ [Re: amilibertine]
    #15185677 - 10/06/11 09:46 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Well done old chap. Am right there with you

Repect the mushroom, other pickers, land owners and the public.

Noobs should be required to read this...

--------------------
Mushroom hunting:  One bad mushroom can ruin your day! Know it or throw it.

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Damn straight I'm a hunter.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Estonia Flag
Re: Mushroom hunting etiquette PLEASE READ [Re: HarryL]
    #15185726 - 10/06/11 10:00 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Good thread and some good tips, respect the mushrooms and they shall return their bounty to you.

Yanking the whole mushroom out of the ground may or may not damage the mycelial network depending on what mushroom and what substrate - with liberty caps if you get a little substrate and mycelium it doesn't seem to bother that patch so much, I would also say the same for gyms etc that are growing out of dead logs.. hard to get much of the mycelium anyway in these cases. Where I think it would matter most is when you are picking wood-chip beds and forest-floor lovers... you can do a huge amount of damage by just ripping them up. That being said I still try to pinch as often as often as I can in my lib fields, they are wild fields though with high grass so it gets tricky. I often need to wiggle my whole hand down into the base of the sedge clump and slowly wiggle the lib out of there - this sometime results in some substrate and mycelium coming up with it. This never goes to waste though, I pinch off the stem-butts with substrate put them all in a plastic container, spray a little water on the butts and 'plant' them in promising patches.

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Damn straight I'm a hunter.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Estonia Flag
Re: Mushroom hunting etiquette PLEASE READ [Re: StInvetroThomas]
    #15185758 - 10/06/11 10:10 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

maybe also add to point 3... about garbage, it's disgusting the amount of garbage people leave in nature. When I can afford the time and space I collect more garbage than what I brought with me to properly dispose of - not always possible but great if you can do it.

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

OfflineMagick
Thinker
 User Gallery

Re: Mushroom hunting etiquette PLEASE READ [Re: StInvetroThomas]
    #15241723 - 10/18/11 03:18 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I agree on your notion about garbage. Where I was living, people were quite eco-friendly, but you'd still see your fair share of trash lying around. Where I am now, the people rape the ground in filth of all types - it's dreadful. Please people, respect nature and try your best not to litter. Exceptions can be made for biodegradable things, like food, but be sensible about it. I also highly recommend recycling - as things like plastics and glass can be reused very easily without having to create more.

Sry I know this is a bit off the topic of mushroom etiquette, but still, remember that mushrooms are just a small part of our ecosystem, and if we want to protect them, we have to protect the world as well - cause if mushrooms prove anything to us, it's that the world ain't ours!

Invisiblebloodworm
cube con·nois·seur
Male User Gallery

Loc: 352
    #15241762 - 10/18/11 03:43 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

good stuff man!! :super:

me like. :biggrin:

:stoned:

:aliendance:
peace and love
bloodworm

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale