Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLitCloset
hypochondriac
 User Gallery

starting edibles, from grocery store mushrooms
    #10999018 - 09/04/09 01:37 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

hey all!

ive grown cubes before an i currentley am. i would love to have some legal edible mushrooms around the house for legal reasons and just for the fun and free food!

any recomendation as far as using other species would be great. im not sure how difficult these two are to clone from fresh grocery store material

this is a long confusing post with no pictures and i apologize. i will put pics soon. my question is does shiitake and portabella myc ever appear another color besides white on agar. i imagined it to look a lot like cube myc. i just cant believe im getting the same contam over and over from different agar and mushrooms in the same pattern.

i so far got a portabella (sp) and Shiitake mushroom from the grocery store. I used a sterile razor to cut out material from the stem and cap of both samples. these i put on agar.

with the portabella i have gotten white fluffy mycelium that looks completley different after a second transfer on PYDA plates. and thats my problem, im not sure if there is just a wide variance in the appearence of these two species myc or if contams are somehow taking over completley.

the portabella starts white and fluffy and 2nd plate has a blonde growth that is not fuzzy, not bacteria like aka not oily or creamy. it has a texture thats quite strange, on top of the raised growth there are what looks like oddly shaped individual cells (not as in shape) with a white hard perimeter. these are through out the mcy. yes i need to get a picture and i will after the GF comes home from photography with her camera.

The shittake started out white. when transfered it quickly grew over the whole plate, very nice white and fluffy. then overnight it was transformed into a dark gross looking plate, no more white myc.

another thing with the portabellas is when i put a clean section of the mushroom on the plates i always get a dark mark around the mushroom wedge on the agar. it almost looks as though the tissue is dropping dark spores around it, but it appears as though they are growing out and away from it. but then it always turns white.

sorry for the long confusing post. ill take pictures. my question is really, with shiitake and portabella mushrooms, should the myc always be white or does it change color / texture often? i need to do some more reading and i think i will wash the tissue in h202 next time i give it a try.

thanks everyone!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleElSeta
Female User Gallery

Loc: Atlantida.
Re: starting edibles, from grocery store mushrooms [Re: LitCloset]
    #11000086 - 09/04/09 05:30 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Check this out http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8328896/fpart/all/vc/1 ; have you tried using a bit of H2O2 on the agar when conning? works like a charm also with antibiotic. Many don't like the idea of using peroxide, but when it's about cloning you'll see good results.

--------------------
-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Looking for Lion's Mane and Yellow Oyster culture. Will trade for: Shiitake/King Oyster/Blue Oyster/White Beech.
Me for info.

Yes, you can see the real reality through a little window. Now, build a door.

OfflineLitCloset
hypochondriac
 User Gallery

Re: starting edibles, from grocery store mushrooms [Re: ElSeta]
    #11000165 - 09/04/09 05:46 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

ok perfect thread! i dont know how i missed it in my searches. im guessing im just getting contamination. ill start adding some ampacillin and/or h202 to my plates. ive been reusing plastic plates from school. they toss out boxes of them a day. when i use them they have no visible contamination but they must have something that pops up after the mushroom growth has finished. i do treat them.

so ill start some new plates.

meanwhile my new portabella (sp) is looking great so far. only about 12 hours and i have visible growth all around a  tiny piece.

do you guys do isolation streaks on agar with mushrooms the same way you would with bacteria? 3 streaks, flame inbetween each etc?

Offlinesmaerd
 User Gallery

#11000422 - 09/04/09 06:21 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I'd recommend oysters, their Myc is pure white. Though not rhizomorphic.

Also, oyster's are delicious in stir-fry's.

I used to be entertained with the idea of growing the favored species on this board. But I got older and realized I just love the hobby, not the troubles. So I am entirely an edible cultivator now.

It's nice not having to worry and still having something fun too do in your closet.

I hope you find a lot of enjoyment with starting edibles.

Also if I can reccomend spore-works has excellent oyster cultures(sure you knew that) but the lc they gave me fully colonizes in like 10-11 days, consolidation 5-7 days, so it's pretty rapid fire!

OfflineLitCloset
hypochondriac
 User Gallery

Re: starting edibles, from grocery store mushrooms [Re: smaerd]
    #11000470 - 09/04/09 06:28 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

if i had more money i would totally go for sporeworks. problem is im completley broke and all i have is food stamps to buy grocery store mushies :rolleyes: time to get a job!

i do have plenty of stuff to trade, so i posted something in the marketplace. maybe ill get lucky again :cool:

yeah i would like to grow a nice supplie of cubes then go straight to edibles. i want them for myself but i dont want to have to worry about them growing all the time. i just love microbiology and edibles seem like the most rewarding outside of actives.

bioluminecent fungi would rock

Offlinesmaerd
 User Gallery

#11000594 - 09/04/09 06:45 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Bio lumenescent fungii is something I'm curious about as well!

Well I told another shroomerite I'd send an oyster print there way once my next harvest is done. So I'll try to do the same for you, it'll prolly be a few weeks though. I've never done prints before so if it's unsterile I'm sorry(but I will do my best to assure it is sterile)!

Invisiblefrankenstoen

#11000650 - 09/04/09 06:57 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Re-using plastic petri dishes is not an easy thing to do- it is very difficult to make them sterile. I have heard of a couple of people who use industrial-grade hydrogen peroxide (35% as opposed to the 3% you get at the drugstore) to sterilize dishes but they also have flowhoods that allow the dishes to dry and remain relatively sterile. I tried wiping some used dishes down with alcohol as a test but every single one contaminated. I also tried putting a used dish in boiling water but it melted within a couple of seconds.

There is a reason the school throws those dishes away. They are disposable and meant to be used once.

Some people have had great success re-using polypropylene deli containers, as polypropylene can withstand micro-waving, boiling, and pressure-cooking. These containers can be identified by the number 5 beside the recycling arrow on the bottom.

InvisibleElSeta
Female User Gallery

Loc: Atlantida.
Re: starting edibles, from grocery store mushrooms [Re: frankenstoen]
    #11000929 - 09/04/09 07:51 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Check if your antibiotic is active after pc'ing or see if you can add it after it. H2O2 it's just 5 ml / 1 liter of agar (if you use 3%). add it when it's cooling off.

--------------------
-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Looking for Lion's Mane and Yellow Oyster culture. Will trade for: Shiitake/King Oyster/Blue Oyster/White Beech.
Me for info.

Yes, you can see the real reality through a little window. Now, build a door.

OfflineLitCloset
hypochondriac
 User Gallery

Re: starting edibles, from grocery store mushrooms [Re: ElSeta]
    #11001006 - 09/04/09 08:04 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

good god i love how inteligent and nice everyone here is! not that they are not in the other forums just, well its different here.

im pretty sure the ampacillin is ok in the PC, ill double check. h202 may be enough as is, ill just start with that.

the only succesful or mildly succesful procedure i have used is: clean the petri dishes soap and water. then long soak in strong bleach (i used 3 water to 1 bleach). then wipe down with 100% alcohol real well with gloves on. then i seperated the half next to each other with the interior facing down on a clean surface. i hit each one up with a fine mist of 100% isoOH and allow them to slowly dry upside down.

but even this results in a good 25% having contamination after a week or so. some have mentioned using a uv light which i cant afford right now. ill just clean the used dishes at the lab and use that lamp i guess.

the deli containers sound great! ill see if maybe some of the ziplock plastic containers are the same. those are mildly cheap and quite accessible. i just hate throwing away and buying those dishes.

has anyone actually tried bioluminescent fungi? i haven't seen much on em. i have a good amount of pGLO which is fun and easy with bacteria. i would love to use it on brewing yeast like EC118 or other fast high alcohol tolerant strains

OfflineTrauma.SH
Stranger
    #11010918 - 09/06/09 06:10 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

other than being broke id get glass dishes. =]

OfflineMagicBoomer
Stranger
 User Gallery

#18953387 - 10/09/13 09:18 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Im about to start some agars in 1/2 pint jars like 1/4in filled maxed then pc, cool, innoc (im using a syringe) and iso. and at the dollar store you can get a 12 pack of the 1/2 pints for 8bucks. good for cakes later on too.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag