Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineseanstruble
Myco Mania
Male User Gallery

Spawn jar...HELP...
    #10998766 - 09/04/09 12:55 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I just perched "Let's Grow Mushrooms!" DVD...which by the way is amazing...and tried to follow the instructions step by step. I do not own a Laminar Flow Hood yet so I'm using a glove box that I purchased on line. I inoculated the jars in the glove box then transferred the jars to a greenhouse in my backyard...I left the jars in the glove box and covered with a black plastic trash bag...I set the temp. to 76F and the humidity to 70. I did remove the tinfoil from the top of the jars once in the greenhouse. After about a week I noticed one of the jars had a grainy, neon green "moss" like fungi growing through out the jar and one by one the rest of the jars were contaminated.

It's kind of hard to specify every step but where did I go wrong?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblefrankenstoen

Re: Spawn jar...HELP... [Re: seanstruble]
    #10999790 - 09/04/09 04:25 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Which species are you trying to grow? Are you going from agar to grain?

In growing mushrooms, every single step is fraught with the potential disaster of contamination. I am constantly examining and monitoring what I do to figure out where the problems arise.

I suggest the next time you try this, leave a few "controls" at each stage - leave a few dishes of agar untouched, leave a couple of jars of grain sealed and un-inoculated. This will help you determine at which stage the contamination occurred.

Don't give up and good luck!

InvisibleJef
Out-of-work Sex Slave
Male User Gallery

Loc: near Duncan, BC
Re: Spawn jar...HELP... [Re: frankenstoen]
    #11001401 - 09/04/09 09:08 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Welcome to the forum.

You didn't say how you allowed for gas exchange while keeping sterile.  If you grow in an environment with significant temperature changes, you need good filter arrangements.

You didn't say how many jars you did.  Glove boxes are not perfect environments.  If this was one out of five or six that contammed, you did really well for a first attempt and probably did not do anything wrong.

Good growing,

Jeff

--------------------
I am my own lab rat.

Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I will remember.  Involve me and I will learn.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag