Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBitchCakes
The captain ofouter space

Loc: Sea Attole
Contaminated casing - edibility..? (pics)
    #1098943 - 11/30/02 05:24 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I had two casings which both contaminated (it was my mistake). One of them was too severe and was tossed, but I saved a small chunk of this one just to see what would happen. It came back, of course  :tongue:  do you think these are safe to eat?

If you need more info let me know 

--------------------
-I'm a dork-

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedefthreat
xxx
 User Gallery

Re: Contaminated casing - edibility..? (pics) [Re: BitchCakes]
    #1100615 - 12/01/02 10:17 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

definately not  :frown: 

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #1101229 - 12/01/02 03:02 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Fruitbodies indicate contamination. Don't eat at all !

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineKingCobWeb
journeyman
Re: Contaminated casing - edibility..? (pics) [Re: MAIA]
    #1103185 - 12/02/02 03:51 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Fruitbodies indicate contamination. Don't eat at all !

MAIA

I looked at the picture, I dont see where/how the fruitbodies indicate contamination? As far as I can tell, they look normal, please explain
in a bit more detail, if you would be so kind.

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Contaminated casing - edibility..? (pics) [Re: KingCobWeb]
    #1103188 - 12/02/02 03:57 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Well yes. Take a look a the small three pinheads on the right, they have a dark greish color, they won't grow any taller and probably begin to rot. The next three pinheads already show some blotches on the cap.
Last (biggest) shroom looks ok, but will you take any chances after watching the others ?

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Invisible1stimer
Religion=Rape
Loc: Amerika
    #1103959 - 12/02/02 12:53 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

i recently had green problems much like yours. i ate the shrooms that werent close to the green and im not dead yet and that was on thanksgiving. the big one looks like it should be fine. pick it cut it in half and examine the spot where you picked it and examine the rest of the casing to see how extensive the green is. it also depends on how long the mushroom was growing with the green. if the green gets to deep into the casing toss it.

--------------------
ash dingy donker mo gollyhopper patty popiton rockstop bueno mayo riggedy jig bobber johnathan pattywhacker gogboob t-shirt monkey.

There is such emotion in the distortion.

OfflineNeonBlack
enthusiast
Re: Contaminated casing - edibility..? (pics) [Re: 1stimer]
    #1107826 - 12/03/02 05:16 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I have to agree. That is most certainly trichoderma, which is not going to make you sick.. I wouldn't snort a bunch of spores or anything but there won't be any toxins in your mushrooms. I would toss the aborts with the dark heads and keep those other shrooms.. I would take the healthy cluster off and toss the casing asap, you don't want that green to spread to another casing. As long as the mushrooms aren't actually being parasitized by the trichoderma then I don't think that you really need to worry.

InvisibleMushMushi
Loc: Canada
Re: Contaminated casing - edibility..? (pics) [Re: NeonBlack]
    #1107931 - 12/03/02 06:18 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Is it a wise choice to eat these mushrooms?  I mean, even if they are safe at 90%, would you risk your **health** for a few mushrooms? :crazy:

OfflineNeonBlack
enthusiast
Re: Contaminated casing - edibility..? (pics) [Re: MushMushi]
    #1109368 - 12/04/02 08:01 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Now I don't want to advocate eating random molds so don't take this the wrong way.. I personally don't think that it is a health risk to eat those mushrooms.. As long as a mushroom looks healthy and is not actually being parasitized, I wouldn't worry all that much. Given, if I was 90% sure that it was safe then that one in ten chance (or even a 1 in 100 chance) of it being unsafe would certainly be enough to justify throwing it out. However in my reading, experience, and in many of the experiences I have read about here, trichoderma is not toxic. As long as you can be 100% sure that it is trichoderma, you're safe. Now, if it was penicillium and someone had an allergy to penicillin, then I would be a lot more careful when checking the individual mushrooms for infection. I want to make sure to stress again that nobody should go and eat mushrooms off of a contaminated casing or cake unless you have enough experience to be able to identify which mold you have. There are definitely some dangerous and nasty contaminates out there (Aspergillus niger, Fusarium, etc.)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags