Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Now On USB? Mann Takes “Mushrooms” To New Platform
    #10985616 - 09/02/09 10:26 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Now On USB? Mann Takes “Mushrooms” To New Platform
by Peter Knegt (Updated 22 hours, 37 minutes ago)

A scene from Ron Mann's "Know Your Mushrooms."

Today, for the first time, a feature film is being released on USB. Ron Mann’s “Know Your Mushrooms,” a doc investigating the near-secret world of fungi that premiered at SXSW earlier this year, is being released on a 4-gigabyte re-usable USB flash drive. What’s more, the USB key comes in the form of a little fungi, and is included in a “hand-crafted” wooden box with an actual Alaska morel mushroom, hand picked by the film’s star, “fungi-master” Larry Evans. Mann - a celebrated documentarian known for films like 1982’s “Poetry In Motion,” 1992’s “Twist” and 2000’s “Grass” - talked to indieWIRE about his decision to take a different route with “Mushrooms” home-viewing release.

“In the early 90s I was a CD-ROM author at Voyager where I repurposed many of my films for that format,” Mann told indieWIRE. “‘Poetry in Motion’ - a film I made about contemporary American poets - was actually one of the first films to be digitized on Quicktime. Back then Quicktime ran at 10 frames per second - ha! One thing that I learned at Voyager, was that technology never stops and one format led to another - laser disc to CD-ROM to DVD. And the other thing is that if you wait long enough the price drops.”

The “Know Your Mushrooms” box set.

When Mann was SXSW, he passed by the Mimobot booth, where they were selling customized USB flash drives. “One of the drives was a mushroom and I thought wouldn’t it be perfect to release the mushroom film on a mushroom drive,” he said. “The 4 gig drive would allow me to fit an almost HD quality file size.”

This marks the first time that a film is being released on a USB flash drive. “A year ago, a UK company released Ivan Reitman’s film ‘Ghostbusters’ on a USB flash drive however that locked file streamed to a computer,” Mann explained. “The ‘Know Your Mushrooms’ file is unlocked and maybe played or uploaded to any device. The concern over an unlocked file for the film industry is unauthorized file sharing, but come on, you can just as easily rip DVDs and file share right now. And as an indie filmmaker, I want people to file share my films instead of ‘GI Joe: Rise of the Cobra.’”

Will this file sharing effect sales? “All I know is I’m almost sold out of our initial run of 500 units and I’m ordering more,” Mann said.  “Given the interest, I’m going to release next my film ‘Grass’ on a USB drive in the shape of a marijuana joint.”

“Mushroom”‘s collector’s box is on sale today, and is available online at filmswelike.com, in specialty stores, and on Amazon through Warner Music Canada. As Mann, noted, it’s almost sold out, though it will have a “traditional” DVD release on September 15th.

http://www.indiewire.com/article/now_on_usb_mann_takes_mushrooms_to_new_platform/

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineInvision
Enlightened
Male

Loc: PNW, oregon
Re: Now On USB? Mann Takes “Mushrooms” To New Platform [Re: motaman]
    #10985673 - 09/02/09 10:36 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Fucking awesome!:mushroom2:

Offlinemycofanatic
Male User Gallery

Re: Now On USB? Mann Takes “Mushrooms” To New Platform [Re: Invision]
    #10985736 - 09/02/09 10:47 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

just ordered it, its gonna be sweet!

--------------------

Offlinerodfarva
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=====-----=-=-=-=-I
Male

Re: Now On USB? Mann Takes “Mushrooms” To New Platform [Re: mycofanatic]
    #10985868 - 09/02/09 11:12 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Clever this is released on USB! i can't wait till these take take the place of DVD format (especially with computer programs.)

--------------------

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Re: Now On USB? Mann Takes “Mushrooms” To New Platform [Re: motaman]
    #10985946 - 09/02/09 11:27 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

That's pretty damn impressive.  Need a quick field ID?  Pop in the USB stick in your laptop and search for it right there on the spot.

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

OfflineShroomerRoss
Male

Re: Now On USB? Mann Takes “Mushrooms” To New Platform [Re: SuperD]
    #10986015 - 09/02/09 11:38 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

"Given the interest, I’m going to release next my film ‘Grass’ on a USB drive in the shape of a marijuana joint.”

cant wait for that. fukin sweet.

OfflineHaRo On KoRn
inmortal
 User Gallery

Loc: West Coast
Re: Now On USB? Mann Takes “Mushrooms” To New Platform [Re: ShroomerRoss]
    #10986041 - 09/02/09 11:44 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

thats a nice way of selling movies 4g flash cost manufacturres like 3 bucks a guess
blue rays prob cost a quarter

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies