Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblexganon
polydrug abuser
Loc: here
left-handedness
    #1091459 - 11/27/02 03:25 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I read in Prometheus Rising about left-handedness. Here's a half-digested summary (I read it in 5 hours stoned so it's a bit fuzzy). The ideas were going in so fast and easy that I kept going forward, to the detriment of my memory.

The left brain is objectifying and 'grounded'. It controls the right hand. The right brain controls the left hand. It is more 'mystical' and 'intuitive'. Most people have more highly-developed left-brains, so they have more CPU to push their right hands around. Right-handedness. Left-handedness is linked with weirdness (more weird right brain activity). Aleister Crowley taught some people to use both hands equally well and claimed it brought their right brains to the level of their left ones.

I'm going to start using my left hand more often (I'm right-handed). Typing is ambidexterious and I type more than I talk, so maybe all this typing has caused brain change. Weren't qwerty keyboards designed to be as slow to type on as possible (for typewriters somehow)? Wouldn't that put the bulk of the responsibility on the slower left hand? Could the invention of typewriters and computers (and this keyboard layout) have instigated mass brain change in such a direct way?

Has anyone noticed a trend towards eccentricity in left-handed people? Is anyone here left-handed?

--------------------
Please remove all dollar signs from my listed contact information

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: left-handedness [Re: xganon]
    #1091463 - 11/27/02 03:27 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

"Left-handedness is linked with weirdness"

Yup! Thats ME!

Incidentally my cousin is also left-handed. He's the only other left-hander in our living family, and the only family-member I have a really good connection with aside from parents and sister :smile: and I know its not because I see him more often than the others because I DON'T see him more often than the others :-D

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Edited by Strumpling (11/27/02 03:30 PM)

Invisibledee_N_ae
\/\/¡†¢h |-|øµ§³ ¢å†
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Shadow of Neptune
    #1091471 - 11/27/02 03:30 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I'm right handed but I'm also the weirdest bastard I know... :smirk:
Any trend towards eccenticity is only percieved, imo.
Interesting excerpt, though.
R.A.W. wrote some books in such a way that you don't want to stop reading until you've devoured the last period but haven't even digested the first chapter  :grin: 

Edited by dee_N_ae (11/27/02 03:40 PM)

InvisibleSpiffy
Defender of theGnomes

Loc: Next to your mom
    #1091490 - 11/27/02 03:39 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I am left handed. Its strange though. This world is built for right handed people. But I do love being left handed. I've also heard that left handed people get along best with other "leftys" which I do!

--------------------
Namaste: "I honour that place in you where the whole Universe resides. And when I am in that place in me and you are in that place in you,
there is only one of us."

Invisiblexganon
polydrug abuser
Re: left-handedness [Re: dee_N_ae]
    #1091555 - 11/27/02 04:11 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I read quickly, assimilating all the forms as fast as possible so they're all fresh at once. Then when I'm done reading I have lots of new toys.

--------------------

Invisiblexganon
polydrug abuser
    #1091583 - 11/27/02 04:26 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

The concept of 'eccentricity' is in itself a trend. By labeling a set as 'eccentric', we say "there is a pattern in people called eccentricity which matches {DATA}". I filled 1 plastic cup (included with the bottle) full of Robitussin and drank it. I suggest everyone give low doses of dex a try, even if high doses disagree with you.

I have noticed that this whole organism has a trend for strangeness. This makes me think there may even be a group of genes which when triggered induce novelty into a human's development. It's fun listing of this body's deformities (differentation from the 'form' of 'human'). The lump on the back of the cranium. Digestive procuderes I'd rather not mention. Eyes pick up extra light. Jaw and teeth don't fit together right (though I refused orthodontics as a child). 26-28 hour biorythm (when it's not fluctuating). Muscle spasms. Abnormal development. But is this a common thing among the general population? Who among us knows this 'general population' in it's entirety?

There's no pure human form anyways (just a fuzzy type) so I'm done.

--------------------

OfflineGrowingVines
Slowly Changinginto a Tree
Loc: GA
    #1091631 - 11/27/02 05:02 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I am mostly left handed, tho i do some things with my right hand. But i am wierd =)

--------------------
Peace out my brothers, for everyone has a bit of insanity in them

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #1091700 - 11/27/02 05:29 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Left handed people are plagued by evil spirits. They must be taught to use their right hands in order to ward off demons.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Re: left-handedness [Re: Phluck]
    #1092006 - 11/27/02 07:19 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

lol yeah when I was a small child my parents would keep putting things back in my right hand, and I'd switch them right back over to my left :smile:

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.

OfflineLlamanose
The llama knows

Re: left-handedness [Re: Strumpling]
    #1092009 - 11/27/02 07:21 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I am so dependent on my right hand it's not even funny. I'm like Bob Dole, I only use my left hand to hold things that my right hand isn't using.

--------------------
Alice came to a fork in the road.  "Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
~Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Invisibledee_N_ae
\/\/¡†¢h |-|øµ§³ ¢å†
Male User Gallery

Re: left-handedness [Re: Llamanose]
    #1092019 - 11/27/02 07:24 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Actually he does that to have something to hold on to, it helps alleviate his shaking as a result of Parkinson's disease.

OfflineLlamanose
The llama knows

#1092026 - 11/27/02 07:26 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I didn't mean to be knockin on Bob Dole's unfortunate illness, I'm just sayin I don't do shit with my left hand.  :grin:

That is the coolest avatar I've ever seen btw...

--------------------
Alice came to a fork in the road.  "Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
~Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Edited by Llamanose (11/27/02 07:27 PM)

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
    #1092596 - 11/27/02 10:45 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I am left handed... and you know what is interesting?....So are the two guitar players in my band.. 3 lefties on strings that all play right handed instruments.

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #1093016 - 11/28/02 01:28 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Actually he does that to have something to hold on to, it helps alleviate his shaking as a result of Parkinson's disease.

WRONG. He doesn't have Parkinson's... his right arm/hand is partially paralyzed (literally an old war injury). He holds a pen in there so as to keep it from looking weird or whatever...

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Re: left-handedness [Re: Shroomism]
    #1093238 - 11/28/02 03:37 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

well I can only say ROCK ON, FELLOW LEFTIES!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! hehe

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-
that kicks ass :smile:

--------------------

Invisibledee_N_ae
\/\/¡†¢h |-|øµ§³ ¢å†
Male User Gallery

Re: left-handedness [Re: Sclorch]
    #1093497 - 11/28/02 10:32 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Heh..
Well I'm glad we finally got to the bottom of that.

Offlinepostanaldrip
human alien
Male
Loc: Earth
    #1093894 - 11/28/02 01:06 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

For some reason ive always been slightly ambidexterious. Im able to swing a golf club and baseball bat form both sides, throw with both arms, write with both hands. Overall though Id say im right hand dominated. Not by much though. Im trying to equal them out as much as possible by consciously remembering to do normal tasks with my left hand.

--------------------
"It's not until we've lost everything, that we're free to do anything." TDFC

Offlineupupup
guardian

Loc: George "I love Hitler" Bu...
Re: left-handedness [Re: postanaldrip]
    #1094022 - 11/28/02 01:40 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I too am ambidexterious and have been gettin more so with age but I have also tried to develop it since it would seem that just the act of working with your less dominant hand would help develop that hemisphere of the brain.

I have also heard before people started going to public school en masse that the ratio of right handed folks to left handed folks was more 50/50ish. Public school, in it's effort to make us all android sheep, tends to develop left brain characteristics (and if you don't belive me just look at how many right brained programs are getting tossed ie. band, art, choir, drama) insomuch as I have personally known left handed people who were not allowed to use that hand in school...

Think of it, in agrarian cultures, like the one that built this nation, it would benifit you if you were more ambidexterious since you could trade using arms for different things when one got tired and still not lose skill or accuracy in whatever work your performing. I was raised in an agrarian culture and am wondering if this hasn't enabled me to be more ambidexterious.

Another thing kinda out there and a pretty paranoid thought but if someone professional like is looking for you one of the things they like to take note of is hand dominance....so if you are as good as one as with the other....this works especially well for writing as writing from the other hand will usually look totally different....

but i digress....

--------------------
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

Edited by upupup (11/28/02 01:42 PM)

OfflineFcuerkt
insane visionary

Loc: the center of a xenon ato...
    #1094629 - 11/28/02 07:41 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I wrote an argument paper in English 101 on why left-handed people are inferior. If anyone is interested I would gladly share it w/ you.

Offline3eyedgod
trippinkid

Loc: Far away and very near
    #1094643 - 11/28/02 07:49 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

The left hemisphere of the brain deals with logic,language,mathematics.
The right one deals with imagery and emotion.
Supposedly left handed people are more predisposed to being artistic, while right handed people {supposedly} are more predisposed towards math/writing etc....

If i'm wrong here someone plz let me know

--------------------
Without everything wouldn't nothing be everything and without nothing wouldn't everything be nothing.I am the beginning and the end,the source and the void, the light and the darkness,i am but a small drop of the ocean yet i am an ocean unto myself

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale