Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefirstofnone
Stranger

Overpressure plug problems
    #10901453 - 08/20/09 11:14 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I finally got my spores in so I went to pc my lc jars so I could knock them up in the morning... My psi was around 12ish and the overpressure plug shot out (it scared the piss out of me). I put it back in before reading the booklet that says NOT to reuse it after it has popped, and it happened again. Has this happened to anyone else? Should I just order a new one?

Is there another way I can sterilize the lc jars so I don't have to wait on the plug?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledancefloordale
Research Assistant

Re: Overpressure plug problems [Re: firstofnone]
    #10901482 - 08/20/09 11:17 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I would order a new plug, but until then try PCing for a little while longer at 10psi.

--------------------
Everything posted by the user dancefloordale, aside from what is written in this here clause is completely and utterly fictitious, despite any information read (or seen), above (or below) that might lead you to believe otherwise.

Hydra Tek - A detailed guide, for newest to the most skilled cultivators.

HCA

Bulk growing made easy-discussion
Bulk Growing Made Easy

Offlinefirstofnone
Stranger

Re: Overpressure plug problems [Re: dancefloordale]
    #10901583 - 08/20/09 11:31 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah I might give that a try... but the plug has popped twice now, hopefully it will hold at 10psi.

Also, my lids have a gas exchange hole that is a piece of tyvek secured with high temp silicone. After I removed the jars the tyvek looks like it had been sucked through the hole a little bit, like it had an indention of the 1/4 inch hole. Is this ok?

Invisibledancefloordale
Research Assistant

#10901614 - 08/20/09 11:35 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

firstofnone said:
Yeah I might give that a try... but the plug has popped twice now, hopefully it will hold at 10psi.

Also, my lids have a gas exchange hole that is a piece of tyvek secured with high temp silicone. After I removed the jars the tyvek looks like it had been sucked through the hole a little bit, like it had an indention of the 1/4 inch hole. Is this ok?

Probably happened when your plugged popped, resulting in a quick loss of pressure.  Im guessing some sort of vacuum was created and caused the tyvek to be indented. Should be alright, as long as it is still secured.

Do you have them covered with alum foil?

--------------------
Everything posted by the user dancefloordale, aside from what is written in this here clause is completely and utterly fictitious, despite any information read (or seen), above (or below) that might lead you to believe otherwise.

HCA

Bulk Growing Made Easy

Offlinefirstofnone
Stranger

#10901719 - 08/20/09 11:52 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah I have them covered with foil. One of the tyvek pieces came loose from the silicone, but the others were entact still; just the hole indent... I just remade that lid a minute ago, so it will be good for another time.

Since I'm gonna try it again with the same plug tomorrow at 10psi, the silicone for my third jar won't be cured yet. So I'm going to make a lid just by drilling a single 1/4" hole in the middle, put a tyvek square between the lid and ring. When I inject spores I'll just use some good ol' micropore tape.

Invisibledancefloordale
Research Assistant

#10901739 - 08/20/09 11:55 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

How thick did you apply your silicone? I just made some jar lids and that shit is good to PC within 6-8hrs. If you applied it tonight that lid will be ready in the morning.

--------------------

HCA

Bulk Growing Made Easy

Offlinefirstofnone
Stranger

#10901758 - 08/20/09 11:59 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

The lid that the tyvek came off did have a thin spot in the silicone, otherwise I applied a pretty thick layer on the rest of gas ports. I was just going off the 24 hr cure time the package said. Sounds like I'll try it in the morning.

If I pressure cook the lcs at 10psi how long do you think I should go for... at 15psi its usually 15-20 min.

Invisibledancefloordale
Research Assistant

#10901782 - 08/21/09 12:05 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah with amount that is normally applied on jar lids, i don't believe it ever really takes the full 24 hrs.  Mine is usually firm to the touch within the hour.

I would go 30-45 minutes, if it were me.

--------------------

HCA

Bulk Growing Made Easy

Offlinefirstofnone
Stranger

#10901803 - 08/21/09 12:09 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

All sounds good... I'll post in the morning after I try pcing. We'll see how that goes lol, when that plug pops off, its like a bomb. It's loud as shit and there's steam everywhere :0 I'm logging for tonight, tired, had a long day. Thanks for the help.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #10901822 - 08/21/09 12:14 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I'd just salve up the plug with some silicone.  Or just plug it entirely with whatever means are handy.

The plug really doesn't serve any purpose.  The weight is plenty fine for regulating pressure and also works as a safety.  Just make sure it doesn't get plugged with mineral deposits.

-FF

InvisibleJaComet
Old Hand

Loc: Out Yonder
Re: Overpressure plug problems [Re: fastfred]
    #10902937 - 08/21/09 07:01 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Keeping an extra on hand is always good.

I have one time put a rubber stopper from the inside of the lid when one blew in the middle of a batch. DO NOT leave the cook if You use this desperation mod. Get two plugs, they are cheap enough. ( and could be Chinese rubber these days : (

BTY, I've only blown two plugs total on 4 different PC's in literally thousands of hours of cooking.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Overpressure plug problems [Re: JaComet]
    #10903272 - 08/21/09 08:53 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

The overpressure plug is a second means of safety.  I wouldn't plug or seal it, especially if you'll ever use spawn bags.  They can come unwrapped and plug one of the holes.  Having two overpressure devices is a major safety feature.  Order a new plug or three to have spares.  They're only a buck or two each and should really be replaced every two or three years.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Overpressure plug problems [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #10903293 - 08/21/09 09:01 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

For some brands, you can buy the overpressure plug at Ace Hardware.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Offlinefirstofnone
Stranger

Re: Overpressure plug problems [Re: Doc_T]
    #10903475 - 08/21/09 09:48 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

JaComet said:
( and could be Chinese rubber these days : (

Probably Lol.

Quote:

Doc_T said:
For some brands, you can buy the overpressure plug at Ace Hardware.

I just called Presto this morning to see if I could order a new one, and they suggested Ace too. I'm about to get ready and head that way. They better have one!

Thanks for the input everyone.

Offlinefirstofnone
Stranger

#10904003 - 08/21/09 12:03 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Update: Nowhere in town had a overpressure plug (Ace, Walmart, Homedepot) So I went to the school supply store and found these really hard rubber plugs made for test tubes... I shoved that in the overpressure plug hole and did a test run with no jars... It fired up to 15psi no problem. So I'm just going to use this plug temporarily until the new one gets here. Just need it to get me through pcing my lcs. :smile:

OfflinePsuper
Psilocybin

Loc: PNW
    #10904244 - 08/21/09 12:41 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Overpressure plugs need to be replaced about as often as the sealing ring.  Don't you guys read the book your PC comes with?  Be safe with them, duh. Here's the PC link if anyone needs it:
http://www.shroomery.org/5245/Correct-pressure-cooker-use

That link and the book your PC comes with should be all you need. ~P~

--------------------
Clinical Management of High Dose Psilocybin Sessions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbHOTIqjZLk

Invisibledancefloordale
Research Assistant

Re: Overpressure plug problems [Re: Psuper]
    #10904395 - 08/21/09 01:06 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I'm not sure what pressure cooker you have, but I thought i'd mention that i bought mine through ebay from hdwsupply. I had to get a new sealing ring, and the overpressure plug came with it.  If they carry your parts, this is the way to go as you will be needing a sealing ring replacement sometime in the not too distant future.

--------------------

HCA

Bulk Growing Made Easy

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #10904434 - 08/21/09 01:13 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

The myth of the crappy rings... sigh.
Just follow the directions, like Psuper said. Especially what they tell you about that sealing ring.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Invisibledancefloordale
Research Assistant

Re: Overpressure plug problems [Re: Doc_T]
    #10904508 - 08/21/09 01:26 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Doc_T said:
The myth of the crappy rings... sigh.
Just follow the directions, like Psuper said. Especially what they tell you about that sealing ring.

Just curious, what is this myth about the crappy rings?

--------------------

HCA

Bulk Growing Made Easy

Offlinefirstofnone
Stranger

Re: Overpressure plug problems [Re: Psuper]
    #10904651 - 08/21/09 01:52 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Psuper said:
Overpressure plugs need to be replaced about as often as the sealing ring.

My pressure cooker is brand new... that was my first time to use it when the overpressure plug blew.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale