Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHyde Parker
Guerilla Mycologist
Male

Outdoor gardeners, I need help with a critter problem
    #10897821 - 08/20/09 02:00 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I've been doing outdoor gardens using Moe's outdoor tek for years. This year I moved into an urban area, dug my garden in my backyard, and now it's full of holes from critters digging up the colonized WBS. Due to my neighbors having dogs and cats that spend some time outside, I don't want to use poison, even the enclosed poison traps. From what I have read if a dog or cat eats the mouse or rat that's been poisoned, the dog or cat will be poisoned, too. I've tried "snap traps," but the critters seem to get the bait without getting "snapped." A squealing rat trapped in a glue trap might attract unwanted attention, and I can't spend all day and night outside with a pellet gun. So, I was wondering if any of my fellow outdoor gardeners have any tips for me. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Next year I'll use BRF/verm cakes, hopefully those aren't as critter friendly.

--------------------
The minute God crapped out the third cave man, a conspiracy was hatched against one of them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHoneyTea
New to the Game
Female

Loc: North of Mexico City, Sou...
Re: Outdoor gardeners, I need help with a critter problem [Re: Hyde Parker]
    #10897848 - 08/20/09 02:03 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I'm not sure what the rules are for linking to google searches, so if it's a problem, I'll delink.

The best thing that comes to mind is a ultrasonic pest system that will repel via sound waves.  This is what I've come up with:  http://www.google.com/products?rlz=1C1CHMA_enUS318US319&sourceid=chrome&q=ultrasonic+animal+repellent&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=nquNSsnkEpSINLy4uLAK&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1

Good luck!

--------------------
My kingdom for a valid hygrometer.

"Mozart tells us what it's like to be human, Beethoven tells us what it's like to be Beethoven, and Bach tells us what it's like to be the universe."
                              -Douglas Adams

My first grow journal: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php/Journal/209173).

Invisiblecaphillkid
Coquus Boleti

Loc: Jet City
Re: Outdoor gardeners, I need help with a critter problem [Re: HoneyTea]
    #10897908 - 08/20/09 02:11 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

U can try some type of chicken wire.  The seed is going to attract lots of critters though as well as birds.  Good luck.

OfflineHyde Parker
Guerilla Mycologist
Male

Re: Outdoor gardeners, I need help with a critter problem [Re: HoneyTea]
    #10897929 - 08/20/09 02:13 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the quick reply, HoneyTea. I just called the local hardware store and they have them in stock. I'll post an update after a few days of using it. Thanks again!

--------------------
The minute God crapped out the third cave man, a conspiracy was hatched against one of them.

OfflineHyde Parker
Guerilla Mycologist
Male

#10940355 - 08/26/09 08:58 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

The ultrasonic animal repellent is working perfectly. I've been using it for the past 4 days, and no more critters digging up my beautiful garden. Thanks again, HoneyTea.

--------------------

Edited by Hyde Parker (08/26/09 08:59 AM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #10940414 - 08/26/09 09:18 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

You can also spawn the grains to pasteurized manure indoors and then when colonized, use that to spawn your outdoor bed.  This cuts down on the rats and squirrels digging up the grains for food.  As said, chicken wire or even better is hardware cloth laid over the patch.

If using rat traps, wrap a bit of fishing line around the trigger, and then bait it with peanut butter.  The rat catches the fishing line in his teeth when he tries to steal the peanut butter and then. . . .:shocked:
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds