Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinethelaughingman
Bulbous Poopaloid
Male User Gallery

Loc: Central WA
Central Washington Cowfield ID
    #10875668 - 08/17/09 12:45 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Hey this is my first time doing an ID, but i found these guys growing out in the field and a few others, but these are the ones im most interested in, i also found some ink caps i think growing out of the dung, also some black spore printed mushroom that i might make an ID for later on. Hope you guys can help me get an ID on these thanks guys.

Habitat: Growing directly out of cow dung, usually a piece thats been smashed and decomposed and has weeds growing from under it, but sometimes just out of a chunk. They are growing in a small pasture in Central Washington in a town called Naches, elevations about 1,473 FT  with 2 cows and a calf so its been getting pretty manured.

Gills: Sort of that tannish mushroom color (see pellicle pic). You can see spores on the gills that appear to be black.

Stem:
About one inch long on average, maybe a centimeter in diameter, they were pretty thin, about the same color as the gills you can see that on a pic too, usually tended to get a little darker near the base, they were solid as far as i can remember but if they were hollow it would be a little hard to tell cause they are skinny little stems.

Cap:
bigger caps like two or three centimeters, smaller ones maybe one,brown carmely color, shiny and slick when wet but rubbery when they dry, when they dry after being picked they start to get lighter in the middle and stay darker on the edges (or the other way around O.o), they are round and have a little bit of a nipple. You can see the gills through the top of the cap.
Also it has the slimy pellice that is present when the mushroom is fresh, but turns to a rubbery skin when they get older, see fresh one in picture (excuse my dirty finger nails :P, i was out in the field :justdontknow:)

Spore print color: I dont have my pics here sorry but it is very dark, i thought it was black on a single specimen i found a few weeks ago but now that they are coming more abundantly ive gotten more prints and it looks to be a reallly dark brown. On some of my pictures you can see on the the cap where a taller mushroom dropped spores on a smaller one, they look black.

Bruising:
I noticed no bruising

It smelt mushroomy.

Well thanks for any help in advance, it would be cool to know what these guys are.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Central Washington Cowfield ID [Re: thelaughingman]
    #10875725 - 08/17/09 12:56 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Those are Psilocybe coprophila and they are not active.  I found the same ones yesterday.  Cowfields will not have any actives in your area because you are so far north - You will need to check horse fields instead for Panaeolus cinctulus.  Especially the big piles of horse manure.

Invisiblekoraks
    #10875728 - 08/17/09 12:57 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

psilocybe coprophila, not active.

OfflineHopanDubMan
Jelly bomb ass shit....
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Central Washington Cowfield ID [Re: koraks]
    #10875745 - 08/17/09 01:01 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Would I be able to find horse shit actives down here in vancouver this time of year?

--------------------

WakaWaka

Offlinethelaughingman
Bulbous Poopaloid
Male User Gallery

#10875845 - 08/17/09 01:18 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Alright sweet thanks guys! Well i have a few other mushrooms i wanna ID too, one from the yard and two or 3 more from the field. I just have to get the pics. So can Psilocybe cinctulus only grow in horse manure? I looked them up and from the pictures i feel like ive seen one or two of um out there before. Might even be the one i wanted to ID. It was still a small cap but it had a jet black spore print.

Well thanks for the fast reply.

Invisiblekoraks
    #10875860 - 08/17/09 01:21 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Pan. cinctulus grows on many rich substrates, mainly nearly all sorts of dung, including dog shit mixed in with grass.

@HopanDubMan: I don't know about Vancouver, but pan. cincts will also grow on horse dung. However, that far up north, you typically wouldn't be looking for dung-loving actives at all.

OfflineHopanDubMan
Jelly bomb ass shit....
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #10875882 - 08/17/09 01:25 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I am scared.
Everyone that hunts in washington seems to be up by seattle, but I have heard reports of hunting in oregon, so maybe I should chill out.

I really wanna find shrooms lol.

And to OP, good luck in your efforts!

--------------------

WakaWaka

Offlinethelaughingman
Bulbous Poopaloid
Male User Gallery

Re: Central Washington Cowfield ID [Re: HopanDubMan]
    #10878953 - 08/17/09 09:52 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah i know, im not necessarily looking for avtives, although that would be tight, honestly i had a feeling these might be something active, i guess it was the pellicle haha. Well i dunno but i did find a mushroom similar to that cinctulus, ile find out when i do that ID. But i know the field is pretty small so its densely manured and it gets watered every day so ive been getting lots of fruit. Thats for the help guys, and the good luck.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract