Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMileHiMycophiles
Stranger

marijauna does NOT cause schizophrenia, this latest lie HAS to be stopped...
    #10873055 - 08/16/09 09:57 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

this is from another thread, but it was so shocking to me that so many people fully believe the latest "reefer madness" lie from the drug companies and governments, that i felt it was very important to put a stop to it. please, if you are a stoner. if you love pot. please be informed. these are from cannabis culture and norml and other like sources, all quoted. for more info, visit the websites... but please inform others. it's not true. at all.
marijauna actually has been shown to reduce shcizophrenia... but that studies not being shown.
here's what started it all. a guy saying marijauna was a drug. i said no, it's a plant. and well, read on.

Quote:

Also, heroin, cocaine, etc. are all plant derived as well... they're drugs.

heroine deosn't grow, it's synthesized morphine, which is only one of the triple active ingredients in poppies.
coccaine takes TONS of refining. in fact the plant alone, is as healthy for you as pot. around the world it is used in shampoos and teas and even as a chew.

but pot you simply dry and smoke. big difference.

but you are free and respected to beleive anything you want.

from http://utteroutrage.blogspot.com/2007/05/marijuana-duck-duck-goose-same-old.html

Marijuana Duck, Duck, Goose - Same Old Story

(2nd International Cannabis and Mental Health Conference Programme [PDF] Logo)

Today, 13 states currently have active medical marijuana programs. Illinois, Texas, and Connecticut are chompin' at the bit (Connecticut just did the civil union thing - watch out). Grandma in the Bronx (colorectal cancer) isn't getting tagged for smokin' the rope. Hell, even Sanjaya's fam is in the growing business. Good reports? You got it: Marijuana has shown to cut lung tumor growth in mice and a marijuana-like compound may slow Alzheimer's.

So what has to come out? Marijuana makes makes you crazy and damages the brain. Sorry, that's FOX News. How about a more credible reporting source like Reuters through Scientific American?

Quick Psych 101: Psychology is only useful for broad, sweeping statements and we don't have a true understanding of all aspects of the brain or how they work, let alone how drugs interact with it (note: Not talking out of my ass; I have a Psych degree and recently had a great conversation with a neuroscientist on this exact topic).

From the article: the two main active components of marijuana are cannabidiol (CBD) and tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). CBD produces a calming effect. THC is associated with the paranoia, euphoria.

There are upwards of 300 active compounds in marijuana. This study took the two most abundant (THC and CBD), and looked to see where the brain was affected. Because of anti-drug taboos, these studies are almost always conducted with synthesized THC. And an MRI will give you an image of activity or inactivity, but - as already mentioned - we don't know all the details of activity in certain areas of the brain.

To sum up: Doctors treated patients with a synthesis of a compound known to cause mild paranoia. They then put their patients in this machine:

and reported that the brain scan showed affected areas related to paranoia. No shit.

I am not trying to slam the study. The media and its fervor, however, can go take a flying fuck at a rolling donut on this one. Reuters has this article titled "Brain scans pinpoint cannabis health risk." But they didn't. The brain scans show activity or inactivity of the brain, and and the implications affect mental health outlook, while "health" implies physical health or brain damage. First sentence: "Brain scans showing how cannabis affects brain function...." Hold it right there. Function is not measured but by behavior. See previous explanation of what is being measured.
"It's no longer a contentious issue. The expert community, by and large, accepts that cannabis contributes to the onset of psychotic symptoms in general and the severe form of psychosis, schizophrenia," [Professor Robin Murray, conference organizer] said.
Wrong. That sounds like the "Weed makes you crazy" defense. Dr. Zerrin Atakan, author of the study, was found to be an astute, reasonable human being completely void of the sensationalism that would follow a story like this. He was quoted in the Telegraph in 2004 as saying:
Cannabis psychosis is a very vague term. If we ever use the phrase, it is only to describe very short-term effects immediately following smoking, and it certainly doesn't refer to users having a psychotic disorder. People may feel frightened or paranoid, but these feelings pass in a matter of hours or, more rarely, days, and practically never require treatment.
He even laid out some very lucid guidelines in a message to the 2005 Cannabis Education March & Rally, telling everyone to make up their own mind about marijuana, but hitting on some basic facts about smoking before your brain is done growing, smoking if you have mental illness, or smoking every day. Very understanding and well-understood.

So why the hullabaloo? Two words:

REEFER MADNESS!!!! (PICTURE OF MOVIE HERE)

(note: The Movie is public domain and the Musical is phenomenal.)

The media loves a good weed story; Marijuana's been tried by 1/4 to 1/3 of the US population, probably twice that have been affected by proximity. Sensationalism sells. So if you can blow a study into a headline, go for it, especially if it concerns marijuana and something bad. The federal government is in love with that. It wants to marry it and kiss it on the privates.

As for Robin Murray and his "weed causes schizophrenia" sensationalism, you might want to ask him to tone it down a bit. Of course, he may have to conference in the pharma behind his conference: Janssen-Cilag and Sanofi-Aventis. But I'm sure that their involvement and their production of schizophrenia treatment drugs are all just a coincidence.

I'll dismount the soapbox now and spare you, fair reader, a venture into legalization, the justice system, hypocrisies, and alternative energy, and leave you with this:
"Casual drug users should be taken out and shot"
Darryl Gates

Head of Los Angeles Police Department
United States Senate Judiciary Committee (1990)
For real information about marijuana, please visit NORML.

(Bonus: 420 Origin Story)
Quote:

Anonymous said...
Marijuana doesn't induce Schizophrenia in people within the GENERAL population. Studies have shown marijuana to induce Schizophrenic episodes in people who already have a predisposition to Schizophrenia. Probably someone who wrote the other article just took a half of the truth he/she read and wrote an article about it instead of reading the whole truth. Even so, a decade later, they might just prove Marijuana has nothing to do with Schizophrenia, and is a miracle cancer drug of some kind. Either way, it's ridiculous that's it's not legal while alcohol and cigarettes roam freely in the open market.

Chronic City: After Further Review, Smoking Pot Doesn't Make You Crazy -- Blimey!
By Steve Elliott in Chronic City
Thursday, Jul. 2 2009 @ 12:59PM
089218402479.jpg
oldies.com
Which came first, the lunatics or the grass?
The time-honored notion of reefer madness, given new life recently in the British tabloid press, has taken another hit from reality. Widespread marijuana use by the public has not been followed by a proportional rise in diagnoses of schizophrenia or psychosis, according to the findings of a forthcoming study to be published in the scientific journal Schizophrenia Research.

It stands to reason, after all: If marijuana really led to psychosis, wouldn't the streets be choked with burned-out, gibbering potheads?

Film director John Holowach, responsible for the documentary High: The True Tale of American Marijuana, wasn't surprised. "I've said it for years now," Holowach told SF Weekly. "If pot and mental illness were linked, the two should rise and fall with one another, but they don't."

Amidst a spate of breathless tabloid hysteria hyping the supposed dire threat from "Skunk," a potent pot strain, British lawmakers last year stiffened cannabis laws in the U.K. A team of researchers had fanned the flames in the July 28, 2007 issue of prestigious scientific journal The Lancet, proclaiming that smoking marijuana could boost one's risk of a "psychotic episode" by 40 percent or more.

In one fell swoop marijuana possession was reclassified from a verbal warning to a criminal offense punishable by up to five years in prison. British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, ex-Home Secretary Jacqui Smith, and others cited the supposed 'pot-schizophrenia link' as a major reason for the giant step backward.

For the new study, British investigators at Keele University Medical School compared trends in cannabis use and instances of schizophrenia in the United Kingdom from 1996 to 2005. The research showed that even as marijuana use soared among the general population, "incidence and prevalence of schizophrenia and psychoses were either stable or declining" during this period.

The authors concluded that an expected rise in diagnoses of schizophrenia and psychoses did not occur over the decade under study. "This study does not therefore support the ... link between cannabis use and incidence of psychotic disorders," the study concludes, adding "This concurs with other reports indicating that increases in population cannabis use have not been followed by increases in psychotic incidence."

The results of another clinical trial published earlier this month indicate that the recreational use of marijuana does not affect brain chemistry in a way that is consistent with the development of schizophrenia.

"Should we expect an apology -- or even better, a change in policy -- from the Gordon Brown regime any time soon? Or at the very least, will some sort of 'correction' be forthcoming from the mainstream news media?" asked Paul Armentano, deputy director of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML). "I wouldn't hold my breath."

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2009/07/chronic_city_this_just_in_--_s.php
please wake up and see that the governments hate you. they despise you and only like to keep you around for your taxs. they will lie to you, and the crazy thing is, people beleive them! despite their LOOOOOOOOONG track record of lies from before. time and time again. absolute power corrupts absolutly always will even jesus would be a hitler if he ruled the world imo. above are just a few articles that took minimal searching to find!

it seems if you really loved it and partook in it every day my respected brother, you would take the time to find out the truth about negative things said about it.

i LOVE it like a freind, and will research any ills thrown against it. for they are just another in a long string of lies.
some lies from the past people beleived (that to me, were no more unbeleiveable than the current)

pot makes black men want to rape white women.
pot makes mexicans violent.
pot kills you.
pot makes you violent and trip out like a combination of crack/meth/herione/and bromodragonfly
pot kills brain cells (totally refuted)
pot causes cancer
pot kills sperm
pot causes suicidal depression
pot is the main income source for terrorists.

if aliens attacked earth, governments would blame drugs... would you beleive them then too?

there's more... but this is enough. people BELEIVED this stuff too. because, well, why would their government lie to them? why would their government pay people to agree with them so that they sounded more credible? why?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesilosighbin
this is the apocalypse
Male

Loc: isla vista baby!
Re: marijauna does NOT cause schizophrenia, this latest lie HAS to be stopped... [Re: MileHiMycophiles]
    #10873147 - 08/16/09 10:16 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

You're preaching to the choir dude...

--------------------

i am caustic

OfflineHopanDubMan
Jelly bomb ass shit....
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: marijauna does NOT cause schizophrenia, this latest lie HAS to be stopped... [Re: silosighbin]
    #10873160 - 08/16/09 10:18 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Marijuana and schizo? I would like to believe that marijuana could help people with schizophrenia.

Geeze the government is so good at lying. And people are so good at falling into their traps.
It sucks.

--------------------

WakaWaka

Offlinethe bizzle
the joke that no one spoke

Loc: :seriousbusiness:
Re: marijauna does NOT cause schizophrenia, this latest lie HAS to be stopped... [Re: HopanDubMan]
    #10873276 - 08/16/09 10:42 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

marijuana CAN cause psychotic episodes in schizophrenics, and it particularly brings out the paranoia. Ever seen somebody get stoned and then start checking 2 foot cupboards for people hiding in them? Although it DOES seem to be beneficial in a lot of ways, by increasing their awareness, but extreme paranoia also comes along with that. Also I've known people who only after smoking weed start hallucinating like crazy and hearing very malevolent voices. It doesn't cause schizophrenia but it can definitely exacerbate it, and personally, I never recommend a schizophrenic to smoke, based on MUCH experience with it.

Sometimes when they are level-headed, which is often only with the help of medication, it seems fine, but often then they will have an acute awareness of how their medicine is killing them, but then when they quit taking their medicine, they become a great danger to themselves and those around them...it is a very complicated issue, that I am very morally conflicted about, and gives me a bit of sadness...:shrug:

Sometimes it really does make me wonder when they start saying the government is trying to kill them on purpose...I wish there was a healthy treatment for them

--------------------
MY HAIR IS A BIRD 
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID

Edited by the bizzle (08/16/09 10:44 PM)

InvisibleMileHiMycophiles
Stranger

Re: marijauna does NOT cause schizophrenia, this latest lie HAS to be stopped... [Re: the bizzle]
    #10874889 - 08/17/09 09:26 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

marijuana CAN cause psychotic episodes in schizophrenics,

hell yeah. that's it. but as these sights (above) and others (i didn't want to post a four page post) show, a temporary episode of exacerbated, already present schizophrenia, is NOT by any means, schizophrenia CAUSED by marijuana. there were many people in another thread who argued this till they were blue in the face. called marijuana a drug, talked about how it can cause schizophrenia with heavy long term use, ect. many things can cause schizophrenic episodes in one who is already unstable. i would recommend they go hollistic and contact james mooney of the native american church and schedule a spirit walk with peyote, as it has been proven to help with schizo and the reverend helps mentally ill and criminally unstable people to mental stability all the time under the request of the utah state government.
entheogens heal. sometimes they scare first, but they heal ultimately. i think if a "schizophrenic" toked in a safe enviroment, under supervision, with the sole intention of working out his problems, i feel he/she would. i feel the freak out comes from thinking "pot is bad" coupled with the urge to "just get high". pot makes them see things they ignore, and if they didn't run or flee from those feelings, they would be able to be healed.

just my opinion though.
which is why i took my post from another forum, added to it, and made it it's own topic.

isn't this important? isn't it important enough to memorize some facts about it, and then next time some one says that, (or any of the past lies about pot posted above) you can refute them and educate the person who said them?

it is in my opinion. :stoned: peace all.

(and more peace if we get more people smoking and toking and joking.)

--------------------

Offlinesolstice
Hempowered
Male User Gallery

Loc: Silly Cunt Valley
Re: marijauna does NOT cause schizophrenia, this latest lie HAS to be stopped... [Re: MileHiMycophiles]
    #10875552 - 08/17/09 12:19 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

MileHiMycophiles said:
Quote:

hell yeah. that's it. but as these sights (above) and others (i didn't want to post a four page post) show, a temporary episode of exacerbated, already present schizophrenia, is NOT by any means, schizophrenia CAUSED by marijuana. there were many people in another thread who argued this till they were blue in the face. called marijuana a drug, talked about how it can cause schizophrenia with heavy long term use, ect. many things can cause schizophrenic episodes in one who is already unstable. i would recommend they go hollistic and contact james mooney of the native american church and schedule a spirit walk with peyote, as it has been proven to help with schizo and the reverend helps mentally ill and criminally unstable people to mental stability all the time under the request of the utah state government.
entheogens heal. sometimes they scare first, but they heal ultimately. i think if a "schizophrenic" toked in a safe enviroment, under supervision, with the sole intention of working out his problems, i feel he/she would. i feel the freak out comes from thinking "pot is bad" coupled with the urge to "just get high". pot makes them see things they ignore, and if they didn't run or flee from those feelings, they would be able to be healed.

just my opinion though.
which is why i took my post from another forum, added to it, and made it it's own topic.

isn't this important? isn't it important enough to memorize some facts about it, and then next time some one says that, (or any of the past lies about pot posted above) you can refute them and educate the person who said them?

it is in my opinion. :stoned: peace all.

(and more peace if we get more people smoking and toking and joking.)

Yes! I agree. Thank you for taking the time to post that. :thumbup:

--------------------
Man woke up in a world he did not understand and that is why he tries to interpret it - Carl Jung

Offlinetektonic
Mr. Mani-fest-ival

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: RL
    #10875678 - 08/17/09 12:47 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

what's wrong with being schizo? when used properly it's a powerful state of mind :vaped:

--------------------
Growery

Daily Tzolkin

:peace: :heart: :earth:

"If triangles' had a God, he would have 3 sides."

OfflineRadar
Stranger

Re: marijauna does NOT cause schizophrenia, this latest lie HAS to be stopped... [Re: tektonic]
    #10875762 - 08/17/09 01:03 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

VERY few people believe these things you've listed above. I think you are geting worked up over nothing.

--------------------
We have not even to risk the adventure alone, for the heroes of all time have gone before us — the labyrinth is thoroughly known. We have only to follow the thread of the hero path, and where we had thought to find an abomination, we shall find a god; where we had thought to slay another, we shall slay ourselves; where we had thought to travel outward, we shall come to the center of our own existence. And where we had thought to be alone, we shall be with all the world.

Offlinetektonic
Mr. Mani-fest-ival

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: RL
Re: marijauna does NOT cause schizophrenia, this latest lie HAS to be stopped... [Re: Radar]
    #10875780 - 08/17/09 01:06 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

me? :confused:

--------------------
Growery

Daily Tzolkin

:peace: :heart: :earth:

"If triangles' had a God, he would have 3 sides."

Offlinethe bizzle

#10875824 - 08/17/09 01:14 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

MileHiMycophiles said:
Quote:

i feel the freak out comes from thinking "pot is bad"

this is where you are wrong. A large chunk of schizophrenics are addictive types who love drugs...the marijuana can be helpful where this is concerned, but anyways my point being, people who absolutely do NOT think there is anything bad about marijuana, can very well smoke and then have a serious freak out...schizophrenia is the most mind-boggling thing in the world to me, and I have been around it my entire life, family and friends...believe me when I say, it can definitely cause some really bad experiences, and I am one of the most pro-pot people around. But I am VERY cautious about schizophrenic people smoking.

You would THINK a safe environment would keep a person from thinking there are people hiding in the cupboards waiting to kill them, but that is not always the case. In other scenarios, like I said, it increases the effect of malevolent voices telling them dangerous things.

It CAN be helpful at times...but until you've witnessed the level of helplessness in a person undergoing a true psychotic episode, not just schizophrenia, but a truly psychotic episode...you shouldn't make such claims. I'm not saying I have the answer...but based on much experience, you can't help a psychotic person by means you could help anybody else, they can't have sole intention to heal because they have no intention of anything, they are unaware and as if possessed.

I don't know...maybe you experiment with it, with somebody having a truly psychotic episode, to the point where you feel like you have no choice but to call the ambulance, but have them smoke instead...then report back.

--------------------
MY HAIR IS A BIRD 
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID

Edited by the bizzle (08/17/09 01:31 PM)

Offlinesilosighbin
this is the apocalypse
Male

Re: marijauna does NOT cause schizophrenia, this latest lie HAS to be stopped... [Re: the bizzle]
    #10875913 - 08/17/09 01:30 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Marijuana use can be triggered by schizophrenia, not the other way around

--------------------

i am caustic

Offlinethe bizzle

Re: marijauna does NOT cause schizophrenia, this latest lie HAS to be stopped... [Re: silosighbin]
    #10875925 - 08/17/09 01:32 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

post edited ^^^

--------------------
MY HAIR IS A BIRD 
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID

Edited by the bizzle (08/17/09 02:16 PM)

Offlinesilosighbin
this is the apocalypse
Male

#10876052 - 08/17/09 01:58 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

the bizzle said:
post edited ^^^

please dont imply that I am implying marijuana causes schizophrenia in any way

my post had nothing to do with yours dude. chill out man

--------------------

i am caustic

Offlinesilosighbin
this is the apocalypse
Male

Re: marijauna does NOT cause schizophrenia, this latest lie HAS to be stopped... [Re: tektonic]
    #10876067 - 08/17/09 02:00 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

tektonic said:
what's wrong with being schizo? when used properly it's a powerful state of mind :vaped:

shut the fuck up. schizophrenia is horrible, how can you say that shit

--------------------

i am caustic

Invisibleshadyy
aHhahhHA
 User Gallery

Loc: winchestertonfieldville i...
    #10876151 - 08/17/09 02:13 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

weed made me shizo!
:awetrippie:

--------------------

ga ga ga eets eets how you gone be mad on vacation?
MONICA COULDN'T TELL TIME UNTIL SHE WAS 13

Offlineskatealex2
////////////////
 User Gallery

Re: marijauna does NOT cause schizophrenia, this latest lie HAS to be stopped... [Re: shadyy]
    #10876244 - 08/17/09 02:28 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

that explains everything  :hypno:

Invisibleshadyy
aHhahhHA
 User Gallery

Re: marijauna does NOT cause schizophrenia, this latest lie HAS to be stopped... [Re: skatealex2]
    #10876376 - 08/17/09 02:50 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

check it
:vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped:

:vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped::vaped:

--------------------

OfflineSpiderbaby
?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ireland Flag
    #10876439 - 08/17/09 02:58 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

MileHiMycophiles said:
a guy saying marijauna was a drug. i said no, it's a plant.

cannabis is a plant of course but it is also a drug, if it wasn't a drug you wouldn't be smoking it

Invisibleshadyy
aHhahhHA
 User Gallery

Re: marijauna does NOT cause schizophrenia, this latest lie HAS to be stopped... [Re: Spiderbaby]
    #10876452 - 08/17/09 03:00 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

i would

--------------------

OfflineSpiderbaby
?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ireland Flag
Re: marijauna does NOT cause schizophrenia, this latest lie HAS to be stopped... [Re: shadyy]
    #10876459 - 08/17/09 03:01 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

i have to respect your devotion to  :bigblunt:

btw im guessing thats a firecracker in the bottom picture? looks tasty

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds