Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshroomed
Stranger
Another Shotgun + Ultrasonic question...
    #10802058 - 08/04/09 10:22 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Hey guys,

I'm having some difficulty fruiting. Considering that all fruiting chambers are a means to an end, that is, Good FAE and as close to 100% Humidity as possible - I tried to build/design my own automated FC, and while I was able to get pinning and a few fruits, I just didn't see the results I wanted (this is with Pf Cakes). I had been using a dubtub setup, a few inches of perlite, a hepa filter blowing FAE, and an ultrasonic on a cycle timer. I think what got me was the Fan for FAE was blowing too much and drying things out/messing too much with the humidity.

Sooo, I've taken it upon myself to try and build fruiting chamber version 2.0 - and automate my version of the shotgun fc, while I realize a lot of people have tried to do this and failed, I'm going to try it anyways.  Eventually I'll figure out something that works well.

As of right now, I've got a shotgun built exactly to spec - except for two things. The top doesn't have holes every 2 inches, it has about six 1/4 inch holes (3 on each side of the top) and then 1 large hole with a 1 inch diameter in the middle of the top - I use the large hole to pipe in humidity from the ultrasonic, so that hole is "blocked" by the tube going in it. Other than that, its a normal shotgun fc, with 1/4 holes every 2 inches, and 5 inches of perlite on the bottom that has been washed and drained.

Essentially, 5 sides have 1/4 inch holes every 2 inches, the top only has six 1/4 inch holes but also has a hole in the center that the ultrasonic humidifier is piped in at, and it goes to a T-fitting to help disperse the vapor evenly throughout the chamber. The ultrasonic is on a cycle timer, so I can adjust it however I see fit, right now I've got it running 2 minutes every 10 minutes.

I just dunked and rolled all the cakes, and then carefully placed them in Fruiting chamber 2.0 - I wouldn't really consider this the second "flush" though because all I have gotten so far were a few pins that didn't develop.

My hopes are that with the addition of an ultrasonic to the shotgun FC, it will help with keeping humidity up, keeping the vermiculite on the outside of the cakes damp, and maybe a little FAE because the ultrasonic has a small fan that pushes the vapor out, thus blowing a small amount of air. While I will also be able to manually spray and fan, I eventually want to be able to have a setup that is fully automatic - I'm considering this an experiment for me to learn from. I'd appreciate any input.

Thoughts on this? Sorry if this sounds like a sleep deprived rambling, I just smoked some fire haze...

Edited by shroomed (08/04/09 10:26 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineradiantthought
Like a boss
Male

Loc: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Re: Another Shotgun + Ultrasonic question... [Re: shroomed]
    #10804036 - 08/05/09 09:24 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I'm pretty sure the shotgun FC's operating principles are based on convection currents, piping the humidity directly in at the top is going to cause problems with that I believe.

--------------------
I will use the search function before posting. I will use the search function before posting. I will use the search function before posting.

This is your new mantra, say it every day when you wake up for good health.

AlexP said: that's a good mantra for week one. The mantra for week two should be: "I will not improvise. I will not improvise. I will not improvise."

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Another Shotgun + Ultrasonic question... [Re: radiantthought]
    #10804679 - 08/05/09 11:48 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

get a portable greenhouse (martha) and hook up your ultrasonic to that you'll have better conditions than with your shotgun fc. 

if you make the SGFC like it supposed to be made its pretty much automatic anyway without extra attachments.

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

Offlinejwes420
Dude, your balls are Showing.
 User Gallery

Re: Another Shotgun + Ultrasonic question... [Re: 13shrooms]
    #10804698 - 08/05/09 11:50 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

if you make the SGFC like it supposed to be made its pretty much automatic anyway without extra attachments.

:thumbup:

--------------------

Is this Penis Envy?

OfflineJMR
Deviator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Zion Highlands
Re: Another Shotgun + Ultrasonic question... [Re: jwes420]
    #10804753 - 08/05/09 12:01 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

just make the normal Shotgun and you should be good to go no need to over complicate things

OfflinePoopIntrusion
Stranger
Re: Another Shotgun + Ultrasonic question... [Re: shroomed]
    #11729267 - 12/27/09 11:46 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

how did it go?
What I expect to happen is water accumulation on your substrate that will cause overlay

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags