Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepsikonauxto
Stranger
 User Gallery

second monotub attempt, pinning questions, pics
    #10795020 - 08/03/09 09:10 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

My first attempt at a monotub grow failed completely - it took a month to colonize and pinned a bit, but produced only a few small fruits. That was probably mostly from opening it too often to check on its progress during colonization. This time I made sure to add a window to the top of the tub before spawning.

I spawned five quarts of Malabar-colonized rye to two tubs of coir/gypsum/verm/coffee substrate a week and a half ago. Colonization went pretty well, and I put them into fruiting conditions yesterday, replacing tyvek with polyfil, increasing FAE, misting and fanning, etc. There are definitely hyphae visible, more sparsely in one tub than the other. I'd like to avoid using a casing layer to speed up the harvest and to avoid a possible contam vector. I really don't want to fuck up this grow (it was pretty depressing to have my last monotub eaten by mean green after only producing a few grams). So, some miscellaneous questions:

How often can I mist and fan before it becomes counterproductive? If there are water droplets visible on the surface, as in the photos, should I stop misting until they evaporate or are absorbed? (I'm using a Misty Mate, so the droplets are not directly from the misting.)

Would it be helpful to keep the substrate covered with crumpled wax paper? I've seen this recommended in a few places.

For FAE, is it enough to have a ceiling fan running in the same room?

I'm misting and fanning several times a day for FAE, keeping it under a florescent light for about 16 hours a day, and the substrate seems to be fully colonized. I don't know the RH but I'll be getting a cheap analog hygrometer soon. Assuming the humidity is okay, am I forgetting any pinning triggers?

How long should it be before I can expect to see pins? And how long will it probably take for the pins to mature into fruit?

I spawned an extra quart of rye to a kitty litter box with unpasteurized verm, gypsum, and cpoo. It's colonizing the cpoo very slowly and I think there's too much rye for it to fruit properly uncased.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

Loc: Reykjavik
Re: second monotub attempt, pinning questions, pics [Re: psikonauxto]
    #10795274 - 08/03/09 09:36 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I fan/mist every 3-4 hours, sometimes more, when I am bored.

"I'm misting and fanning several times a day for FAE, keeping it under a florescent light for about 16 hours a day, and the substrate seems to be fully colonized. I don't know the RH but I'll be getting a cheap analog hygrometer soon. Assuming the humidity is okay, am I forgetting any pinning triggers?"

That sounds like it :thumbup:

I wouldn't cover it with wax paper, just let it be as far as that is concerned.

If you are fanning/misting that is your FAE, the ceiling fan couldn't hurt, as long as it isn't directly hitting it.

--------------------

Edited by Herbal_Elixer (08/03/09 09:36 PM)

Invisibleshymanta
Mad Scientist
 User Gallery

#10795289 - 08/03/09 09:37 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Nature's Mushroom Formula

Earth -  Substrate.  For fast colonization, nice, fluffy stuff.  A little too dry is better than a little too wet.

Water - Humidity.  The closer to 100% relative humidity, the better.

Fire - Temperature.  80F to colonize, then 75F fruit.  In nature rain would take care of that.

Wind -  Oxygen.  Mushrooms need air just like you.  Lots of it.

Don't close then up in boxes.  Once they are fully colonized, the danger of contamination has passed... for a time.  Once it has flushed and is exhausted, it will contaminate.  However, when initiating pinning, leave them open and keep 'um wet.  They need fresh air.  Filtered air is not necessary.

A casing layer will aid greatly in making pins.  It should not take any longer to pin after putting on a casing layer.  It does not have to colonize a casing at all.

Edited by shymanta (08/03/09 09:41 PM)

InvisibleOptx
PronouncedAwp-Tiks
 User Gallery

Re: second monotub attempt, pinning questions, pics [Re: shymanta]
    #10795361 - 08/03/09 09:46 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

substrate doesn't look 100% colonized...
stop misting and fanning so much. the beauty of the monotub is you don't have to babysit it every hour - just let it do it's thing.
and the fan in the room should be enough for fae.

Offlinepsikonauxto
Stranger
 User Gallery

#10795960 - 08/03/09 11:49 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I have primordia! Only two, but it's a start!

OfflineHippySmoke
Some Dude
Male

Loc: Somewhere in that white c...
Re: second monotub attempt, pinning questions, pics [Re: Optx]
    #10796066 - 08/04/09 12:28 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Optx said:
substrate doesn't look 100% colonized...
stop misting and fanning so much. the beauty of the monotub is you don't have to babysit it every hour - just let it do it's thing.
and the fan in the room should be enough for fae.

I agree it couldn't have used some more growth time but hey just let it do its thing don't over baby sit it and it should be fine. More grows have been messed up at this stage by doing too much than by doing too little.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix