Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHarold Hole
suck my substrate
 User Gallery

hawks eye/bad spores?
    #10792458 - 08/03/09 02:13 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

So i ordered 2 syringes of b+ from the hawk's eye, and the shipping time was great.  Syringes had brown tumbleweedy things inside(lots of spores=good, right?)  I followed rr's rye tek:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/7000595#7000595

to a tee(half coffee, half water,1 tsp gypsum per every 4 cups of grains, pre soaked 36 hrs, removed WHILE boiling, dried thoroughly) and started with 6 jars using this method.  2 days later I inoculated 4 more jars with the very same rye tek, and 2 with this popcorn tek:

http://www.shroomery.org/9035/Popcorn-Tek-w-pics

also following the instructions exactly.

After a total of 10 days from inoculation of the first jars, none of them are colonized at all.  I am very new to amateur mycology, so i want to find a method that will work best for me using grains.  I kept half of the jars in my back room which is about 78-80 degrees, and half in  another room which is about 73-75 degrees to see which would work best.  I used 2 layers of tyvek paper, and 4 nail holes in the lids, with the tyvek on the outside to combat moisture on the bottom of the tyvek.  2-3 inches of water in the pc'er, and foiled the jar tops,100 minute pc'ing, no flooding/over drying at all, as a matter of fact everything looked and still looks ideal(not too moist, not too dry), but zero growth.  i have like 2 cc's left from each of the syringes(4cc total) that i will attempts a last ditch attempt to make 2 lc's out of.  contams are no worry to me so far as NOTHING is growing in my jars....i sterilized everything, covered my inoculation holes with porous tape, i did everything you guys told me to.

I'm not bashing the hawk at all but do you think if i don't see growth in my lc's my spores are dead?  Should i try the hawk again or try somewhere else?  And lastly can the heat of fl during shipping ruin spores? ( if so i may be s.o.l. as a whole)  I love this hobby even though i am having problems....i love the shroomery too, and i  won't give up!

comments, advice, all is welcome, and thanks for the help so far to everyone

--------------------

Edited by Harold Hole (08/03/09 02:46 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblefeelfunny
I am you
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: South
Re: hawks eye/bad spores? [Re: Harold Hole]
    #10792464 - 08/03/09 02:16 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

have used him and is OK fast and discreet but not that happy with results but as far as i know he will replace your order with a new one if you email him

--------------------
IF A CAT AND DOG CAN GET ALONG WHY CANT EVERYONE ELSE?
If the sky is falling, don't look up!  :abduction:

Feel Family Founder. :pm: me if you are tired of hearing, "Use the search function".

Offlineeric111e
Stranger

Re: hawks eye/bad spores? [Re: feelfunny]
    #10792476 - 08/03/09 02:19 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I've never had a problem with anything I've ordered from him. My last  order only took 2 days to get to me

Invisiblefeelfunny
I am you
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: hawks eye/bad spores? [Re: eric111e]
    #10792500 - 08/03/09 02:22 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

not bad just not my first choice

--------------------

Feel Family Founder. :pm: me if you are tired of hearing, "Use the search function".

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Loc: Under The Rainbow
    #10792528 - 08/03/09 02:25 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Popcorn tek has a very bad rate if you don't know what you are doing. You messed up somewhere I bet. Stick with something easier for your first try. If you insist on using a grain use Rye or one of the others.

--------------------

Offlinewhimsy
Fairy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Tír na nÓg
    #10792553 - 08/03/09 02:27 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

The B+ spores I ordered from hawk's eye grew wonderfully (so did the EQ's). I used the BRF tek. My spores looked like your description "brown tumble-weedy things". Did you let your jars cool overnight before inoculation?

--------------------

The woods are full of fairies! The trees are alive: The river overflows with them. See how they dip and dive! What funny little fellows! What dainty little dears! They dance and leap, and prance and peep, And utter fairy cheers!

OfflineHarold Hole
suck my substrate
 User Gallery

#10792557 - 08/03/09 02:28 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

It also got to me in 2 days flat!  I am very happy with the order experience, and still don't blame hawk(shit happens) but like i asked before, do you think that the heat during shipping is going to affect future orders? It would be unexpectedly cool if i got diff syringes but how do you email someone telling them spores you aren't supposed to use for anything but researching didn't work?

--------------------

OfflineHarold Hole
suck my substrate
 User Gallery

Re: hawks eye/bad spores? [Re: MHbound]
    #10792584 - 08/03/09 02:31 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

whimsy said:
The B+ spores I ordered from hawk's eye grew wonderfully (so did the EQ's). I used the BRF tek. My spores looked like your description "brown tumble-weedy things". Did you let your jars cool overnight before inoculation?

yes i did-about 14 hrs

Quote:

MHbound said:
Popcorn tek has a very bad rate if you don't know what you are doing. You messed up somewhere I bet. Stick with something easier for your first try. If you insist on using a grain use Rye or one of the others.

i agree , I added the popcorn tek just to do a couple jars in case something like this happened it would help to to determine the cause of failure by having multiple teks in use

--------------------

OfflineZebratek
Stranger
    #10792727 - 08/03/09 02:54 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

hinderpits said:
It also got to me in 2 days flat!  I am very happy with the order experience, and still don't blame hawk(shit happens) but like i asked before, do you think that the heat during shipping is going to affect future orders? It would be unexpectedly cool if i got diff syringes but how do you email someone telling them spores you aren't supposed to use for anything but researching didn't work?

I'm 4 for 4 with the spores I got from the Hawk's Eye, so from my experience and from what I've read he seems solid. 

If you're pretty sure it was the syringes I'd send him an email saying you've been looking at the spores under a microscope and you don't think that they're living viable spores or that they show signs that lead you to believe they were contaminated or something along those lines, and ask if there's anything he can do to help you with that.

Offlineeric111e
Stranger

#10792739 - 08/03/09 02:56 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Its more likely something you did wrong, because I've ordered probably 10 different strains and never had a problem.

OfflineFuckMeRunnin
REALLY good looking
 User Gallery

#10792772 - 08/03/09 03:00 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I just bought B+ from him 3 weeks ago and I am 6 for 6. Here is a pic from that exact syringe.

OfflineHarold Hole
suck my substrate
 User Gallery

#10792863 - 08/03/09 03:13 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

What is the number tempwise spores fail at?  these spore syringes sat in my black mailbox in s florida for at least a couple hours.  I asked about this b4 but heard they should be fine.

Edited by Harold Hole (08/03/09 03:15 PM)

OfflineFuckMeRunnin
REALLY good looking
 User Gallery

#10793097 - 08/03/09 03:49 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I saw somewhere that it is like 130f for that amount of time. Mine sat in the mailbox for around an hour or 2 and they where fine. How soon after sterilizing the jars did you knock them up? If you do it before the jars cool to room temp you can kill them...

OfflineFuckMeRunnin
REALLY good looking
 User Gallery

Re: hawks eye/bad spores? [Re: FuckMeRunnin]
    #10793109 - 08/03/09 03:51 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I guess they can start to fail at around 106 but wont completely die till around 130-150F.

Invisiblefeelfunny
I am you
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10793122 - 08/03/09 03:53 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

get a print they can stand more heat i live in AL and have had the same problem with the mail box killing spores

--------------------

OfflineHarold Hole
suck my substrate
 User Gallery

#10793174 - 08/03/09 04:04 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

FuckMeRunnin said:
I guess they can start to fail at around 106 but wont completely die till around 130-150F.

if its a 100 degrees outside, and my mailbox is on a post,black,plastic and seals fairly well, i would guess it meets those temps  Honestly i didn't expect the hawk to ship so quickly, i mean i'm not even sure how the hell something got here regular mail in less than 48 hrs:smile:
I'm going to order again whether my lc's turn out or not and this time i will maintain a constant vigil on that mailbox, and think ill try some wbs this time as well as some rye again

--------------------

Invisiblefeelfunny
I am you
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10793203 - 08/03/09 04:09 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

GOOD LUCK BUT I WOULD E MAIL HIM HE HAS NO PROBLEM REPLACING THEM BECAUSE IT WAS NOT YOUR FAULT

--------------------

OfflineHarold Hole
suck my substrate
 User Gallery

#10793281 - 08/03/09 04:25 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I will drop him an email.  And just to repeat I am not jumping on hawk's- My experience had extenuating circumstances.  I will not give up til i see mycelium mountain!!

Edited by Harold Hole (08/03/09 04:27 PM)

Invisiblefeelfunny
I am you
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10793715 - 08/03/09 05:35 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

YOU ARE 1 OF MANY TO FAIL THE FIRST TIME SO DON'T GIVE UP IT IS WORTH THE WAIT I'M SURE YOU KNOW

--------------------

OfflineJooooony
Stranger
Male

Loc: Pinky day
    #10793761 - 08/03/09 05:43 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

eric111e said:
I've never had a problem with anything I've ordered from him. My last  order only took 2 days to get to me

Neither did I, My mycobag is growing hella nice.(actually hella slow)

Check it out

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10793566

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag