Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineViking
"I've beenworking on myrr..rou..routine!"

Loc: Ontario, Canada
New User with Question about Success Rates...
    #1074825 - 11/21/02 06:54 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Hey everyone

This is my first post here. Looking through some of the archives, I can tell there are some very knowledgable people here...I had no idea growing mushrooms was such an exact science! I'm pretty science minded so this is definitely good to see.

Anyway, "this guy I know" is about to embark on his first growth (he hopes!) experience. He's using Lipa Yai and B+ for his first attempts (in two separate terrariums), perlite for humidifcation, and a variation of the PF Tek. Unfortunately, he doesn't have access to a pressure cooker.

Without the use of the PC, what would be an approximate success rate for the first time grower? (assuming everything else is done right). It is my understanding that it is next to impossible to predict a yield for a novice, so maybe it's better to ask this question in terms of how many jars showed signs of contamination (ie: 6 out of 12).

Also, can the mushrooms grow in nearly complete darkness for most of the day, provided that light is available for an hour or so?

One more thing (I apologize if this has already been answered...I couldnt find it)...is it cool to grow two separate Cube strains in the same terrarium (two terrariums will likely be used...this is just out of curiosity).

Thanks guys. Wish "my friend" luck :-)

V.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFred Garvin
Male Prostitute
Loc: The northern part of sout...
Re: New User with Question about Success Rates... [Re: Viking]
    #1074841 - 11/21/02 07:00 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

In reply to:

Without the use of the PC, what would be an approximate success rate for the first time grower? (assuming everything else is done right). It is my understanding that it is next to impossible to predict a yield for a novice, so maybe it's better to ask this question in terms of how many jars showed signs of contamination (ie: 6 out of 12).

You were right when you said its hard to predict. I'd say it's impossible to predict. Just pay close attention to cleanliness, sterility, and the details. Follow the faq's and you should have a good success rate.

In reply to:

Also, can the mushrooms grow in nearly complete darkness for most of the day, provided that light is available for an hour or so?

Yes, I find that to be the best method for me.

In reply to:

One more thing (I apologize if this has already been answered...I couldnt find it)...is it cool to grow two separate Cube strains in the same terrarium

Yes, no worries.

Good luck

--------------------

The above statements are just the incoherent babblings of your friendly neighborhood Cracker!

Shur drinkin kils brane sells--but only the week ones!!

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
    #1074908 - 11/21/02 07:30 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

If you used cakes, you don't need a PC. This guy you know should read this , in its entirety.

OfflineOn_the_Down-Low
Polyfil-ophile-Say it 3 timesfast.

#1074927 - 11/21/02 07:42 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

The armadillo says the PFtek is the easiest method going. That's definitely the place to start. Use foil to seal the topof the pot very tightly. Acheiving 100% is pretty easy.

OfflineTheHobbit
Pot Head Pixie

Loc: the Oily Way...
    #1074932 - 11/21/02 07:46 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Your success will likely vary greatly, if it's anything like mine (newb/1st grow)
Out of the dozen or so 1/2 pinters I've innoculated 1 got tossed (contam), and a couple more may be heading that way too, all of which are pink buffs which may not have been steamed long enough and/or exposed to conatmination during innoculation. My others have varied from one cake having produced a single shroom on it's 1st flush (it's starting to flush again, though, and could be a muttha), to the current monster downstairs, which has somewhere between 25 and 30 shrooms coming up (yeah, holy shit is right!). Yeah, as others have stated, practive extreme cleanliness during innoculation (check out the oven tek), steam for an hour and a half (and tighten the lids immediately after removing from the pot, i think that was a problem with my buffies as well), and check out the dunk tek too (my one shroom cake wasn't dunked initially; the monster was - big difference)....and have patience (don't birth prematurely...my b+ cakes seemed to still be undercolonized even after two weeks following outside colonization).

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #1074940 - 11/21/02 07:51 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

>Without the use of the PC, what would be an approximate success rate for the first time grower?

Very good, if you boil the jars for at least 1 hour, better yet 1.5 hours.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck