Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

My bandmate plays way too rushed--how do I get him to slow down?
    #10742853 - 07/26/09 12:00 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

What do I say to him?  My ideas are below, is there any way to put this more simply?  He doesn't seem to get it.

Playing slower makes the musician a more effective communicator

Playing slowly--playing behind the beat--forces the brain to relax.  You relax, you broadcast, and the listeners and other musicians relax.  Then the real magic can begin.

Music Connects My Heart to Your Heart

Music is a technology of expression.  Whereas language--the written word--expresses the rational mind, music can uniquely express something deeper, ineffable... some call it 'place.'  The magic that happens at a concert occurs when this 'place' ripples out like a chain reaction and takes over everyone.  The music plays itself and the audience members' defenses and fears and egos vanish in the moment.  That's what it's all about.  Dropping out, yea?

Place is the unified state--it's where we are

Place is made up of the pace of your thoughts (stressed, calm, sleeping), your feelings (I'm in love/hate, I'm rebellious/obedient, I'm nostalgic/adventurous), and your perception (it smells in here, I like the lighting)

Pace is your brain rate--the frames per second (fps) that break up your perception.  This is what neurologists measure with an EEG machine.  (link: wiki) 

In the deep bliss of sleep, the brain flickers four times a second--this is the delta state (advanced yogis can enter this state while awake).

Theta state is 4-7 fps... drowsiness or arousal.  Alpha state is 8-12 fps... it is peaceful relaxation.  (to experience alpha state, close your eyes and take 5 deep breaths.  When you open your eyes, your brain will snap back up into a speedier beta state--the transition is unmistakeable)

The beta state, 12-30 fps, is characterized by active, busy, or anxious thinking.  This is where we spend spend the majority of our time.  It is difficult, maybe impossible, to have genuine heart to heart contact in the beta state.  You can't hold someone's gaze, your eyes flicker about.

Last thing on pace--it's easy to start to think of pace as how aware you are, with sleep at the least aware, and full awake focus as the most aware.  This is backwards.  The more frames per second, the more your reality is chopped up into bits.  Each frame resets your consciousness.  Slower is better.

You need to slow your pace to broadcast the place

Music is a technology of expression.  In broadcasting a place, you're broadcasting your heart.  In a collective concert atmosphere, the hearts unite and overwhelm the pesky brain, where the ego lives.  When jerry garcia plays a solo, we recognize in that solo our own heart--we realize that we all share in that heart, we recognize him in us. 

As a musician, to broadcast the heart frequencies, you've got to slow down your brain.  You've got to get into a slower fps.  You have these beautiful things going on in your heart all the time, but the brain often chops your perception up so badly that you become confused and distracted, and you can't effectively broadcast the beauty. 

Anybody care to comment?

--------------------

Edited by Noviseer (07/26/09 12:23 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejoshisstoned
Motorcycle Enthusiast
 User Gallery
Loc: Ohio
Re: My bandmate plays way too rushed--how do I get him to slow down? [Re: Noviseer]
    #10742924 - 07/26/09 12:14 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I feel you dude. I played with a drummer who did something similar. He would switch up the beat and throw me off. Is there any compromising? or is it a creative difference? It sounds like you believe strongly in this. I like how you have a reason for your belief and it's not simply a preference, even though that would be ok too. You guys could start out slow and work up to a phenominal ending like I enjoy so much. A mellow song can end crazy fast in the end.

Offlinejoshisstoned
Motorcycle Enthusiast
 User Gallery
Loc: Ohio
Re: My bandmate plays way too rushed--how do I get him to slow down? [Re: joshisstoned]
    #10742953 - 07/26/09 12:19 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

do you  guys party together? It sounds like a good topic to discuss after a double dose of mdma pills, each. Get really empathetic and then attempt to discuss it. I hate to sound stereotypical, but mdma might lower the ego slightly and allow for a more empathetic conversation at a deeper level. I do this with my dad and we get along way better (we didn't talk for years before). IDK just a thought.

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

Re: My bandmate plays way too rushed--how do I get him to slow down? [Re: joshisstoned]
    #10742974 - 07/26/09 12:22 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

MDMA would definitely help, that's not a bad idea.  Some band therapy.  The doors did this with mescaline.  Thanks man that could definitely work.

He's a good guitar player and singer, but a little bit shy, and when he gets nervous he compensates by playing faster... it drives me crazy.

--------------------

Invisiblesterbeklang
w/e
Male

Loc: Filthy Rock
Re: My bandmate plays way too rushed--how do I get him to slow down? [Re: Noviseer]
    #10743699 - 07/26/09 02:58 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Some people have the tendency to speed up when they're trying to make a section of the music more exciting.  They may also have an inadvertent increase in volume when they play those sections.

I think when you have problems like this, it's because you're not listening to each other while you play.  If he listened to you and how you're playing slower, then he'd play slower.  But instead he's just playing.  I think it's of the utmost importance to be a good listener in a band situation... that's how the good bands gel so well and sound like a single functioning organism.  They can listen to themselves as a whole while they're playing.

Also, what steadied my personal tempo alterations on drum set, guitar, etc. was spending a few years listening to electronic music.  The beat is literally clockwork.  You get used to feeling a steady beat internally, then can more easily remove the tendency to inadvertently speed up.

--------------------

OfflineSubconscious
Stranger
Male

Re: My bandmate plays way too rushed--how do I get him to slow down? [Re: sterbeklang]
    #10755028 - 07/28/09 11:56 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Just tell him to slow down a bit, it's not rocket science.

Also, find a middle ground. You seem to be all about slow but I think that's limiting... a slow section can get boring as fuck. What makes it meaningful is when it's arrange in a way that builds up or does something interesting... a slow section before a fast part like the calm before the storm.

I don't know, I think music should be about expressing a variety of things and there's no sense in limiting yourself to one speed.

Just tell him "maybe you could slow down for a few sections" but on the other hand, maybe you should speed it up every now and then.

If I had a guy dictating the speed of the jam to be slow the entire time, I wouldn't be jamming with him again. It's about knowing when to step back and knowing when to take the reigns.

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

Re: My bandmate plays way too rushed--how do I get him to slow down? [Re: Subconscious]
    #10758660 - 07/28/09 10:46 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

It seems like the OP's complaint regarding his bandmate bas more to do with feel than with tempo. 

If you guys are debating tempo, that's purely a matter of philosophy and taste and tough to reconcile in my experience.  Some people just thinks it's better to play faster for some reason.  One huge thing to keep in mind is that when playing live, especially if you're not a pro, the tendency is almost always to play fast.  Therefore, if you're always aiming to play fast in rehearsal, you'll find yourself in trouble quickly in a live setting. 

zAnother point about tempo is that accuracy diminishes as sped increases, so if you're playing with guys who aren't willing to take the tempo down, if only for the sake of practice, it's probably just stubbornness on their part and your band is missing out on a great practice technique.  I had this very syndrome in the last bnd I played in.  It was basically prog rock and the dudes never wanted to slow down during practice to really nail the parts down.  They came from this mostly punk background and just seemed to resent the idea of playing slowly, it was fucking retarded.  It was actually one of the things that led to the disillusionment and end of the band.

If your subject is feel rather than tempo, it's not likely you're going to be able to get someone with an undisciplined or poor sense of groove to change.  This will be a major undertaking on their part if they are even willing to acknowledge that their whole approach to playing with others does not really work.  Hopefully you have a good rhythm section or just forget it and if you do, your bandmate needs to spend some time doing some sectionals as a part of the rhythym section so he can relearn how to listen and what references and accents he should be paying better attention to.

Or I could be totally off base.  One never knows.

InvisibleChespirito
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#10758760 - 07/28/09 11:01 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Maybe he just likes playing fast?  Can you really tell me that Giant Steps would have been better if played at half speed?  Also your post makes very little sense

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: My bandmate plays way too rushed--how do I get him to slow down? [Re: Chespirito]
    #10765771 - 07/30/09 12:52 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

the easiest way to slow someone down is to give them zanax its like watching someone go from completely normal to I got dropped as a baby status

or jus tell the fucker to find something to do with the extra time? tell him to keep his mind concentrated on what he's supposed to hit inn the meanwhile...

Offlinethe bizzle
the joke that no one spoke

Loc: :seriousbusiness:
Re: My bandmate plays way too rushed--how do I get him to slow down? [Re: Konyap]
    #10766964 - 07/30/09 07:53 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

xanax is terrible for playing music

speeding up unconsciously while playing is not about tempo, it's about lack of feel, focus, or discipline.

have him record himself or the band while playing, and have him listen to it. Have him play with a metronome at a slow speed (slower than the tempo should actually be), a surprisingly difficult task for many musicians. (of course inform him that he speeds up when he shouldnt)

other than that, weed and tripping

--------------------
MY HAIR IS A BIRD 
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID

Edited by the bizzle (07/30/09 07:54 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom