Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Re: Vermiculite Warning!!
    #10734 - 04/03/00 12:05 AM (24 years, 1 day ago)

I switched to the Alien Tek. It requires no vermiculite, and I believe it is better than the PF method.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

#10735 - 04/03/00 10:47 AM (24 years, 17 hours ago)

Holy shit, umm that fucking sucks. Ok who knows of any non-verm teks?

OfflineHumidity
Mad Scientist
Loc: Somewhere in Northeast OH
    #10736 - 04/03/00 10:56 AM (24 years, 17 hours ago)

It won't be long before we won't even be able to buy the shit anymore. :frown:

--------------------
_____________________________________________________________________________________
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking

Anonymous

#10737 - 04/03/00 10:59 AM (24 years, 17 hours ago)

asbestos no fun...wonder if shrooms absorb that goofy stuff...asbestos definatly no good

------------------
Liquor is dandy but Candy is quicker

Anonymous

#10739 - 04/03/00 12:19 AM (24 years, 1 day ago)

Um, nevermind..I'm an idiot. Alien tek has vermiculite. :wink:

Invisiblemaxxjones
journeyman
    #10740 - 04/03/00 12:30 AM (24 years, 1 day ago)

An internet search using "vermiculite, asbestos, warning" produces a number of links telling the unfortunate story of Libby, Montana. Here's one:
http://www.p-i.com/uncivilaction/lib19.shtml

Apparently the vermiculite mines are associated with an asbestos source and in some instances the asbestos has been found along with the vermiculite in vermiculite products. I don't think it's being suggested that the vermiculite itself is carcinogenic.

OfflineLillSkit
old hand
    #10741 - 04/03/00 04:42 AM (24 years, 23 hours ago)

If you guys worry 'bout this you should all start using the 9er tek...
I think that its a better substrate then Verm/BRF....
www.shroomery.org/9er/ :biggrin:

- Lill -

Anonymous

#10742 - 04/03/00 05:04 AM (24 years, 23 hours ago)

wierd...

------------------
http://www.angelfire.com/md/artie

Anonymous

#10743 - 04/03/00 05:31 AM (24 years, 22 hours ago)

this is something i do know about, it's only air born particules of asbestos that you'd inhale by mistake.

Anonymous

#10744 - 04/03/00 07:27 AM (24 years, 20 hours ago)

Wouldn't the mushrooms be OK though? It seems like they only absorb the rice nutrients, and the verm only helps. If you make sure not to get any verm grit on them, and cut them off a safe distance away from the substrate, it seems like they'd be OK.

------------------
Away!

OfflineLillSkit
old hand
    #10745 - 04/03/00 07:49 AM (24 years, 20 hours ago)

Listen to wynnjms...
Its only airborne particles... (off course , you could get them in your airpaths while mixing the substrate or something) :frown:

Go with the 9er tek..
Thats the best substite according to me...

Anonymous

#10746 - 04/03/00 09:58 AM (24 years, 18 hours ago)

I was going to have vermiculate'n'raisin cereal this morning but I guess I better think of something else now.

OfflineHumidity
Mad Scientist
    #10747 - 04/03/00 11:03 AM (24 years, 17 hours ago)

I do not know for shure but I think the winnjms is right asbestos is a carcinogen that fucks up your lungs. If you are using the vermiculite you should wear one of those little white masks that cover your nose and mouth. Also you still use vermiculite in the 9er tek for caseing.
Handle with care. Until the research is complete and we know for shure.
I am going to try and find some more indo on asbestos.

--------------------
_____________________________________________________________________________________
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking

Anonymous

#10748 - 04/03/00 11:17 AM (24 years, 16 hours ago)

ther's plenty of information out there on asbestos, i'm speaking from experience, you don't want to mess with that stuff. it doesn't hurt you right away but years from now it could make your life really suck

OfflineHumidity
Mad Scientist
    #10749 - 04/03/00 11:28 AM (24 years, 16 hours ago)

Asbestos Exposure
Most health information on asbestos exposure has been derived from studies of workers who have been exposed to asbestos in the course of their occupation. Asbestos fiber concentrations for these workers were many times higher than those encountered by the general public.

Because asbestos fibers are naturally occurring and extremely aerodynamic, virtually everyone is exposed to asbestos. To be a significant health concern, asbestos fibers must be inhaled at high concentrations over an extended period of time. Asbestos fibers then accumulate in the lungs. As exposure increases, the risk of disease also increases. Therefore, measures to minimize exposure and consequently minimize accumulation of fibers will reduce the risk of adverse health effects.

Asbestos is only dangerous if it becomes airborne. As long as asbestos containing materials are not damaged, the asbestos fibers do not become airborne and do not pose a health threat to the building occupants. During an asbestos building survey, inspectors assess the condition of asbestos containing materials. These conditions do deteriorate over time. If you find that an asbestos containing item has been damaged, please contact our office for a hazard assessment.

use safety precautions!!!

--------------------

Anonymous

#10750 - 04/03/00 11:45 AM (24 years, 16 hours ago)

all you have to do is moisten the vermiculite and the fibers can't become airborn.

OfflineBenzl
enthusiast
    #10751 - 04/03/00 02:20 PM (24 years, 13 hours ago)

It's a contamination problem, no worse than pesticide in fruit - any reputable company should be able to avoid this as the stuff is too widespread to squash - I wouldn't worry, just be aware and careful!

OfflineLillSkit
old hand
    #10752 - 04/03/00 02:32 PM (24 years, 13 hours ago)

Humidity..
You dont have to case with verm..
I was talking about the cakes of course..

- Lill -

OfflineHumidity
Mad Scientist
    #10753 - 04/03/00 02:41 PM (24 years, 13 hours ago)

I just want all of my fellow growers to be aware of the potential heath risk. I would not want to see anything bad happen to any of you. :smile:

--------------------

Invisiblemaxxjones
journeyman
    #10754 - 04/03/00 04:35 PM (24 years, 11 hours ago)

As an aspiring cultivator who has been lurking heavily at the Shroomery for the past week reading and re-reading MMGG and PF TEK (seems to be a bit of controversy there!), one potential concern would be in the pre-sterilization preparation of vermiculite by heating it in a tray in an oven before mixing with BRF and water. I would think that procedure might tend to release and make airborne any associated asbestos from the vermiculite. Thoughts?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale