Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLostkeys
Fractal Thought Pattern
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sirius
Dammit, forgot the gypsum
    #10725937 - 07/23/09 08:58 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Just made up 2 qt. WBS jars for making grain LC, and forgot to add the gypsum... now I got like 1/4" of grains glued to the bottom of one of my jars and the rest is clumping like a bitch. 

I'll not make that mistake again!

--------------------
So heavy I fell through the earth...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineradiantthought
Like a boss
Male

Loc: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Re: Dammit, forgot the gypsum [Re: Lostkeys]
    #10726200 - 07/23/09 10:21 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

That's odd, I'm sure I've heard of people not using gypsum before with good results... possibly your moisture was a little too high?

--------------------
I will use the search function before posting. I will use the search function before posting. I will use the search function before posting.

This is your new mantra, say it every day when you wake up for good health.

AlexP said: that's a good mantra for week one. The mantra for week two should be: "I will not improvise. I will not improvise. I will not improvise."

OfflineLostkeys
Fractal Thought Pattern
Male User Gallery

Re: Dammit, forgot the gypsum [Re: radiantthought]
    #10728168 - 07/23/09 05:04 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I think it's cause they were just out of the PC, they've cooled off now and it's much less clumpy.  I do however still have some stuck to the bottom the jar and I've bruised my hand trying to knock it off.

Anyone know if adding the gypsum to the soak water actually allows the nutrients to be absorbed into the grain?

--------------------

Offlineradiantthought
Like a boss
Male

#10728247 - 07/23/09 05:17 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Lostkeys said:
I do however still have some stuck to the bottom the jar and I've bruised my hand trying to knock it off.

You should use something else then! I know RR uses a bike tire and I remember once reading someone used the arm of their couch, although you might wanna add a towel or pillow for cushion if your couch arm is harder. Or hell, use a shoe and beat the thing with it!

--------------------
I will use the search function before posting. I will use the search function before posting. I will use the search function before posting.

AlexP said: that's a good mantra for week one. The mantra for week two should be: "I will not improvise. I will not improvise. I will not improvise."

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #10728421 - 07/23/09 05:54 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Were your grains properly rinsed and very few burst? Also was your moisture content right which is grains dry on the outside.

Burst kernels will release starch which acts like glue, excess moisture can cause the same problem.

Gypsum isn't nessesary but it helps plus its bennificial to fruitbodys

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineRiver77
Ruler of the Next Free World
Male

Loc: Among the Spore People.
Re: Dammit, forgot the gypsum [Re: veda_sticks]
    #10728668 - 07/23/09 06:42 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I have never used gypsum. And my grains have never clumped together.

--------------------
Fine line between fishing, and standing on the shore with a pole in your hand.

OfflineOthyem
Male

#10728847 - 07/23/09 07:13 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Sounds like the grains were too wet or not rinsed well enough. I follow RR's grain tek. I never have any problems with clumping even when I don't add the gypsum. Follow that and you shouldn't have a problem.

Edited by Othyem (07/23/09 07:16 PM)

OfflineStealthgrower
n00b Pwner
 User Gallery

Re: Dammit, forgot the gypsum [Re: Othyem]
    #10728861 - 07/23/09 07:17 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I never use gypsum in spawn.  As veda said, burst kernels will contribute to sticking.  Also, not rinsing the grain before loading it will contribute also.  Only filling the jars 2/3 full will make them waaaaaaay easier to shake.  I use the bottom of a shoe to break stubborn clumps apart.  Good luck.

--------------------
Infea said:
You ever seen that movie Constantine.  Well they pass into hell several times.  In hell there are melting human bodies, in your tub are melting mushroom bodies.  Your tub had passed into mushroom hell.

Invisiblebooduh
Shroom
 User Gallery
    #10728885 - 07/23/09 07:21 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

did you have grains burst during the simmering or pc'ing?

OfflineLostkeys
Fractal Thought Pattern
Male User Gallery

Re: Dammit, forgot the gypsum [Re: booduh]
    #10728917 - 07/23/09 07:25 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

There could have been a few burst grains I suppose.  I soaked them for 12 hours, then brought a pot of water to a boil, took the pot off the burner and dropped the grains in.  Let them soak for 30 mins, then THOROUGHLY rinsed them.  They weren't perfectly dry, but no water was dripping out of the colander when they were loaded.  I tossed the colander several times to assure that all the standing water was out.

--------------------

InvisibleAlexP
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
    #10729047 - 07/23/09 07:49 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

You want the grains completely dry on the outside Lostkeys! That's a good time after water stops dripping from them! I sometimes wait well over an hour for them to dry properly on the outside! They are dry on the outside when you hold a handful of them and after you open it there's hardly any grain on your hand!

--------------------
"To feel today what one felt yesterday isn't to feel - it's to remember today what was felt yesterday, to be today's living corpse of what yesterday was lived and lost." Fernando Pessoa

"When one creates phantoms for oneself, one puts vampires into the world, and one must nourish these children of a voluntary nightmare with one's blood, one's life, one's intelligence, and one's reason, without ever satisfying them." Eliphas Levi

"The joy of life consists in the exercise of one's energies, continual growth, constant change, the enjoyment of every new experience. To stop means simply to die. The eternal mistake of mankind is to set up an attainable ideal." Aleister Crowley

"The Universe is an artistic catharsis." Artifex Infinitum

Offlineradiantthought
Like a boss
Male

#10729050 - 07/23/09 07:50 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Lostkeys said:
There could have been a few burst grains I suppose.  I soaked them for 12 hours, then brought a pot of water to a boil, took the pot off the burner and dropped the grains in.  Let them soak for 30 mins, then THOROUGHLY rinsed them.  They weren't perfectly dry, but no water was dripping out of the colander when they were loaded.  I tossed the colander several times to assure that all the standing water was out.

so you didn't do the spoon or hand test?

--------------------

OfflineLostkeys
Fractal Thought Pattern
Male User Gallery

#10729066 - 07/23/09 07:52 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Nope, I sure didn't, several of the teks say that they're dry enough when no water drips, which is why I opted not to do the spoon or hand test.

Perhaps the teks are outdated if everyone is in agreement that they should always be dry enough to pass the spoon test.

--------------------

InvisibleAlexP
 User Gallery

#10729090 - 07/23/09 07:56 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Yess they should pass the test!! If they fail keep them drying for some more time!

--------------------
"To feel today what one felt yesterday isn't to feel - it's to remember today what was felt yesterday, to be today's living corpse of what yesterday was lived and lost." Fernando Pessoa

"When one creates phantoms for oneself, one puts vampires into the world, and one must nourish these children of a voluntary nightmare with one's blood, one's life, one's intelligence, and one's reason, without ever satisfying them." Eliphas Levi

"The joy of life consists in the exercise of one's energies, continual growth, constant change, the enjoyment of every new experience. To stop means simply to die. The eternal mistake of mankind is to set up an attainable ideal." Aleister Crowley

InvisibleAlexP
 User Gallery

Re: Dammit, forgot the gypsum [Re: AlexP]
    #10729094 - 07/23/09 07:57 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Oh and mix them after each half hour so they dry equally!

--------------------

OfflineLostkeys
Fractal Thought Pattern
Male User Gallery

Re: Dammit, forgot the gypsum [Re: AlexP]
    #10729104 - 07/23/09 07:57 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Anyhow, I'll let them drain longer in the future.  For now they should colonize, I'll just have a harder time with them once they are.  These two jars aren't going to be for bulk spawn, they're for grain LC, so I won't have to worry about getting the grain out of the jars.

--------------------

Offlineradiantthought
Like a boss
Male

#10729189 - 07/23/09 08:11 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Lostkeys said:
Anyhow, I'll let them drain longer in the future.  For now they should colonize, I'll just have a harder time with them once they are.  These two jars aren't going to be for bulk spawn, they're for grain LC, so I won't have to worry about getting the grain out of the jars.

I'm just curious... what in god's name are you going to do with all that grain LC? inoculate a swimming pool full of substrate?

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #10729377 - 07/23/09 08:43 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Lostkeys said:
brought a pot of water to a boil, took the pot off the burner and dropped the grains in. 

Very bad technique.  That will burst kernels.  Heat the grains IN the water as it comes to a boil so the grains heat slowly.  You want the grains dry on the outside.  Just letting them drip in a colander leaves them too wet for rapid colonization.

Those who aren't using gypsum in grain jars are not getting optimal performance.  Failure to use gypsum doesn't result in failure, but results in less than the best possible.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineStealthgrower
n00b Pwner
 User Gallery

Re: Dammit, forgot the gypsum [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #10730023 - 07/23/09 10:19 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I just shake mine really well in the colander and load away.  As Fooman says in his tek, "like they do on the cooking shows".  I don't have time to sit around waiting for bird seed to dry.  Everything works fine, the shrooms grow fine.  Fooman is also far from a newb.

--------------------
Infea said:
You ever seen that movie Constantine.  Well they pass into hell several times.  In hell there are melting human bodies, in your tub are melting mushroom bodies.  Your tub had passed into mushroom hell.

Edited by Stealthgrower (07/23/09 10:26 PM)

Offlineasymetricaljoe
Stranger
Re: Dammit, forgot the gypsum [Re: Stealthgrower]
    #10730856 - 07/24/09 01:31 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

a fast method of drying is spreading the grain out to increase surface area and using a box fan to increase air circulation

Edited by asymetricaljoe (07/24/09 01:31 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds