Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJN2022
Noob
First bulk...messed up but can I still salvage the grow?
    #10713183 - 07/21/09 03:28 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Hi all,

First off I'd like to thank everyone here for the advice I've received.

This is my first grow, I didn't want to waste my time with BRF cakes so I went with this bulk strategy:

WBS -> Coir/coffee/gypsum/verm -> 50/50+ casing using Verm/peat/gypsum/hydrated lime.

I started with MS syringes. The strain I used to spawn with is actually unknown (the only one of many that I ordered that wasn't labeled...). However, it colonized the jars quicker than any other strain.

I used 2 quarts of spawn for my doubletub (bottom holds roughly 66 liters). I cut holes roughly 1" around with a knife and stuffed with polyfill. I lined the inside with a large black trash bag, which is aligned with the bottom of the holes. There is 3-4" of substrate in each. I mixed evenly instead of layering. I covered each tub with a black trash bag to keep light out.

First Mistake
I didn't create an airtight seal where the tubs met. The part where the handles go, on the sides of the tubs, are recessed. I filled this with polyfill along with the holes. In hindsight I should have just duct taped the lips together airtight, along with the handle openings.

Second Mistake
I allowed too much FAE by not covering some of the holes with duct tape (i.e. all the holes stuffed with polyfill). The substrate began to colonize very quickly but stalled after a few days, and seemed to be drying out a bit. Condensation was no longer visible on the tub walls....

Corrective Action
I figured out my errors and decided to tape up the top holes and the lip so that only 4 polyfill holes were in the tub (the bottom ones remained w/polyfill, but should I have taped the bottom ones instead and left poly in the top holes?) I misted with water in order to introduce more humidity into the system.

Early Casing (mistake 3?)
I had already prepared a casing mix and pasturized it at 160 deg or so for an hour. I wanted to use this, and figured that it may allow the semi-dry substrate to retain more humidity. I put the field capacity casing layer (1/2" thick, 1 quart's worth), over the sub that I had just misted. I then sealed the dubtub and covered with a black trash bag to finish colonizing (..hopefully).

Questions
1) Can this still tub still produce fruits?

2) If so, when should I initiate pinning, given the fact that I can't really see the bulk anymore because its covered by casing?

3)The holes I cut with the knife were quite rough and certainly not circular (roughly the same size though). Is this bad or does it have no effect? (Need to know for future projects)

4) Any other tips or concerns?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineArcanePerception
The only rule isthe golden rule
 User Gallery

Re: First bulk...messed up but can I still salvage the grow? [Re: JN2022]
    #10713216 - 07/21/09 03:45 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

well I would have taped over all the holes and let non-airtight seal be the only source for air exchange.

now that you already cased it will be hard to tell, if and when you start to see myc poke through the casing you should induce fruiting.

--------------------
Oh, welcome to this world of fools
Of pink champagne and swimming pools

OfflineJN2022
Noob
Re: First bulk...messed up but can I still salvage the grow? [Re: ArcanePerception]
    #10716493 - 07/21/09 05:26 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Ok, so it appears the tub is recovering nicely and the myc is starting to come up as clumps from under the casing layer from what I can see. When do I know to initiate pinning?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures