Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
straight brown rice in drinking glasses - experiment
    #10708831 - 07/20/09 11:09 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Decided to make up some new jars and noticed that im low on brown rice flour. I have rice to grind but my blender is noisy so i will do it tomorrow.

In the meantime i will make up a few  pf jars with the remaining flour and also make up straight brown rice.

I previously done a straight rice jar that worked well, it was used for my newspaper tub. But that was in a nuttella jar that had a plastic lid which shrank to create a seal.,

This time, im going to try using drinking glasses with foil lids to see if its possible. No dry verm layer. Ill wrap micropore tape around the foil so that it seals it, and ill also use micropore as a filter.

I have tried using micropore tape on foil before and it failed, the tape just got pushed through the foil, this time, ill use a strip of micropore so that it is held under tension by the sides of the glass then just repair the wouind with more micropore.

Ill use this as spawn for something, probbably newspaper and coffee, and maybe Hpoo aswell.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineradiantthought
Like a boss
Male

Loc: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Re: straight brown rice in drinking glasses - experiment [Re: veda_sticks]
    #10708908 - 07/20/09 11:30 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I've been curious as to why more people don't use straight brown rice as spawn, I look forward to seeing where this goes.

--------------------
I will use the search function before posting. I will use the search function before posting. I will use the search function before posting.

This is your new mantra, say it every day when you wake up for good health.

AlexP said: that's a good mantra for week one. The mantra for week two should be: "I will not improvise. I will not improvise. I will not improvise."

Offlinemagicshroomguy
Mushroom lover
Male

#10708913 - 07/20/09 11:32 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I did this before, but only with two jars. they contamed and I never tried it again. they got contamed because the lids I used were very old and not sealed well around the air filter. Should turn out pretty good though. You'll have a lot more nutes vs pf cakes. Keep us posted.:wink:

--------------------
:wink:This is not species specific and any specific information given on growing psilosybe mushrooms is fictional.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: straight brown rice in drinking glasses - experiment [Re: radiantthought]
    #10708938 - 07/20/09 11:38 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

radiantthought said:
I've been curious as to why more people don't use straight brown rice as spawn, I look forward to seeing where this goes.

I think its because its a little harder to get the moisture content right. The last jar i done turned out to be a little sticky and took longer to colinise but it worked great when i spawned it to newspaper, and it broke up very easily.

I just stuck it in the blender for 1/2 a second and the cake fell apart.

I think last time i made the mistake if thinking there wasnt enough water, added more and it made the grain softer.

This time, i filled up the pot with water so that the level was pretty much at the level of the grain in the pot and simmered till it was absorbed, its still quite nutty feeling but definatly has some moisture.

If i had a larger pot i would have just got tesco preserve jars and used them but my pot isnt big enough for those jars, i can fit 4 1/2 pint wide mouth drinking glasses in my pot lol

--------------------

Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD

Offlineradiantthought
Like a boss
Male

#10709008 - 07/20/09 11:52 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I would imagine just taking properly cooked rice and using it should work fine. Or will fully cooked (as far as eating concerns go) rice be too moist for these purposes? Possibly undercook it slightly and add a little moistened verm as a moisture and aeration helper? It just seems like it's so commonly available item that it would be used more often.

--------------------
I will use the search function before posting. I will use the search function before posting. I will use the search function before posting.

AlexP said: that's a good mantra for week one. The mantra for week two should be: "I will not improvise. I will not improvise. I will not improvise."

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10743547 - 07/26/09 02:28 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Things are going well sofar

6 days and good colinisation so far. Much faster than my previous attempt. My last attempt was definatly a moisture content issue, they were too wet. This time using less water has given better results. These should be colinised in the next week and ready for spawning.

--------------------

OfflineRiver77
Ruler of the Next Free World
Male

Loc: Among the Spore People.
    #10743669 - 07/26/09 02:51 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

What strain?

--------------------
Fine line between fishing, and standing on the shore with a pole in your hand.

InvisibleInfea
I forgot my pen...
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10743690 - 07/26/09 02:56 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

This is cool.  Thanks for posting.  You got some balls Veda with what seems to be very little in the way of contam barriers...

--------------------
Trade List
Click this --> :pm: to PM me.

InvisibleAlexP
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: straight brown rice in drinking glasses - experiment [Re: Infea]
    #10743704 - 07/26/09 02:59 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Infea said:
This is cool.  Thanks for posting.  You got some balls Veda with what seems to be very little in the way of contam barriers...

Contams do not enter a PF cake after inoculation! :wink:

--------------------
"To feel today what one felt yesterday isn't to feel - it's to remember today what was felt yesterday, to be today's living corpse of what yesterday was lived and lost." Fernando Pessoa

"When one creates phantoms for oneself, one puts vampires into the world, and one must nourish these children of a voluntary nightmare with one's blood, one's life, one's intelligence, and one's reason, without ever satisfying them." Eliphas Levi

"The joy of life consists in the exercise of one's energies, continual growth, constant change, the enjoyment of every new experience. To stop means simply to die. The eternal mistake of mankind is to set up an attainable ideal." Aleister Crowley

"The Universe is an artistic catharsis." Artifex Infinitum

InvisibleInfea
I forgot my pen...
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10743726 - 07/26/09 03:03 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

AlexP said:
Quote:

Infea said:

Contams do not enter a PF cake after inoculation! :wink:

Quote:

veda_sticks said:
make up straight brown rice.

No dry verm layer. Ill wrap micropore tape around the foil so that it seals it, and ill also use micropore as a filter.

I believe the PF tek uses VERM and GROUND brown rice flour.  The PF tek also uses a layer of dry verm.  Veda is not using a dry verm layer. These wouldn't be PF cakes by definition in many ways.  Correct me if I'm wrong
EDIT:

Were you being sarcastic AlexP!  I had a cause of double thinking your post lol

--------------------
Trade List

Edited by Infea (07/26/09 03:05 PM)

Offlineradiantthought
Like a boss
Male

#10743742 - 07/26/09 03:06 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

sarcasm maybe? :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleAlexP
 User Gallery

#10743755 - 07/26/09 03:09 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

:rofl: I wasn't being sarcastic at all! I don't know what's wrong with my mind but I'm mixing up my ideas a lot... :grin:

That is in fact pure brown rice. No dry verm barriers but I'm pretty sure Veda is filtering the GE perfectly.

With PF cakes you can leave the holes open, contams don't enter the jars or glasses, after inoculation.

--------------------
"To feel today what one felt yesterday isn't to feel - it's to remember today what was felt yesterday, to be today's living corpse of what yesterday was lived and lost." Fernando Pessoa

"When one creates phantoms for oneself, one puts vampires into the world, and one must nourish these children of a voluntary nightmare with one's blood, one's life, one's intelligence, and one's reason, without ever satisfying them." Eliphas Levi

"The joy of life consists in the exercise of one's energies, continual growth, constant change, the enjoyment of every new experience. To stop means simply to die. The eternal mistake of mankind is to set up an attainable ideal." Aleister Crowley

Offlineradiantthought
Like a boss
Male

Re: straight brown rice in drinking glasses - experiment [Re: AlexP]
    #10743788 - 07/26/09 03:14 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

AlexP said:
With PF cakes you can leave the holes open, contams don't enter the jars or glasses, after inoculation.

This is only due to the dry verm barrier. It is the keeper of the cakes and protects them from contams while the myc takes hold.

--------------------

InvisibleAlexP
 User Gallery

#10743794 - 07/26/09 03:16 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

radiantthought said:
Quote:

AlexP said:

This is only due to the dry verm barrier. It is the keeper of the cakes and protects them from contams while the myc takes hold.

Really?????? :shocked:

:stoned:

--------------------

InvisibleInfea
I forgot my pen...
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10743799 - 07/26/09 03:17 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

radiantthought said:
It is the keeper of the cakes and protects them from contams while the myc takes hold.

:blueangel:

--------------------
Trade List

OfflineClownswor
The One The Only
Male User Gallery

#10744010 - 07/26/09 04:13 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

:foshizzle:

--------------------
I am a connoisseur of sorts.

Everything I post is fictional. None of what I post regarding cultivation of mushrooms is legit. Im am just an imaginary person living a imaginary life! Thank you.

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

InvisibleJitsu
JKD Love
Male User Gallery

Re: straight brown rice in drinking glasses - experiment [Re: Clownswor]
    #10744200 - 07/26/09 04:59 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

What's the black stuff

--------------------
Do not deny the classical approach, simply as a reaction, or you will have created another pattern and trapped yourself there.

How I get my Pinsets
The Capabilities Of A Shotgun FC

Invisiblebadman
Male User Gallery

#10744305 - 07/26/09 05:24 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Jitsu said:
What's the black stuff

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote:

veda_sticks said:

This time, im going to try using drinking glasses with foil lids to see if its possible. No dry verm layer. Ill wrap micropore tape around the foil so that it seals it, and ill also use micropore as a filter.

I do this with WBS in pint size beer glasses and work a treat time after time. However i use autoclave tape to secure the foil lid but 2-3 layer of micropore tape for the filter.

Quality work!!!
:congrats::congrats:

OfflineUpSwell
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: straight brown rice in drinking glasses - experiment [Re: Jitsu]
    #10744647 - 07/26/09 06:39 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Jitsu said:
What's the black stuff

Looks like spores from a well-shaken and well-stocked syringe.

Verm will fall right down into rice, it's useless as a contam barrier.  I use Tyvek only lids, one layer, and masking tape over the inoculation holes.  Then I use more masking tape over the Tyvek as I see fit to control GE and moisture levels in the jar.

The way to cook any rice for first-stage cultivation is to cook it a *little* dry, then fork fluff it when it's still hot to get your moisture level perfect.  Takes a little practice and use the 9er tek as a guide.

What veda has done here looks great!  I usually get a lot of condensation on the sides of the jars during colonization, wherever the myc is at.  His looks perfect.

But then I use plain white rice which doesn't produce actives, so I'm 100% legal :wink:

InvisibleAlexP
 User Gallery

Re: straight brown rice in drinking glasses - experiment [Re: UpSwell]
    #10744700 - 07/26/09 06:50 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

SPORES?????????????????????

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract