Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMescalitoTed
Stranger
Long-Term Spore Print Viability (AKA Making a Spore Print Collection)
    #10699227 - 07/18/09 12:13 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Should someone desire to keep a collection of spore prints, more as to satisfy her desire of collecting unique things rather than growing anything, what is the best way to keep them in the rare event that she would ever want to germinate them?

She wants to obtain some prints (which will likely be made on paper) and to put them in little cases of the kind that collectible coins are stored in.

Will this be a good method? Are there any others out there who maintain a well-preserved collection of spore prints of various strains and who may have some advice on how to store them safely?

Thanks. She's a cool girl.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehammy
Me, Myself and I
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Greater Seattle Area
Re: Long-Term Spore Print Viability (AKA Making a Spore Print Collection) [Re: MescalitoTed]
    #10699253 - 07/18/09 12:16 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

spore prints last for a very long time, if you wanna use an old spore print usually you just need to let it rehydrate in a syringe. I've heard of people using 5 year old prints. RR was able to get something from a 20 year old print but that took a lot of work.

--------------------
Back after an unwanted hiatus

InvisibleSebastien
Don't look!
Male

Re: Long-Term Spore Print Viability (AKA Making a Spore Print Collection) [Re: hammy]
    #10699311 - 07/18/09 12:29 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

hammy said:
spore prints last for a very long time, if you wanna use an old spore print usually you just need to let it rehydrate in a syringe. I've heard of people using 5 year old prints. RR was able to get something from a 20 year old print but that took a lot of work.

And if it took alot of work for RR, it would take simply TOO MUCH work for us, mushroom hobbyist.

Yep, as hammy said though, old prints can still be viable if a little care is used. You're best bet (that I know of) is to simply let them rehydrate in a syringe and hope for the best.

Offlinelethargic
Stranger
Male

Loc: my humble abode
Re: Long-Term Spore Print Viability (AKA Making a Spore Print Collection) [Re: Sebastien]
    #10699563 - 07/18/09 01:41 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

If I have a four month old print, do I need to worry about re hydrating them?

If I am using a syringe, is it just water that I should be filling it up with?

--------------------

InvisibleSebastien
Don't look!
Male

Re: Long-Term Spore Print Viability (AKA Making a Spore Print Collection) [Re: lethargic]
    #10699973 - 07/18/09 03:28 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

lethargic said:
If I have a four month old print, do I need to worry about re hydrating them?

If I am using a syringe, is it just water that I should be filling it up with?

yep, here a link on how to do it all.
http://www.shroomery.org/8403/Psilocybers-Syringe-Tek
I think it'll explain everything, if not, post again in this thread as opposed to creating another one. :thumbup:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Long-Term Spore Print Viability (AKA Making a Spore Print Collection) [Re: MescalitoTed]
    #10700018 - 07/18/09 03:34 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MescalitoTed said:

She wants to obtain some prints (which will likely be made on paper) and to put them in little cases of the kind that collectible coins are stored in.

For best results, print on glass, foil or the inside of petri dishes. Paper isn't a good medium to print on due to the acids and caustic materials used in paper making.  I've had VERY poor results with more than 2 year old prints on paper.  Prints over 5 years old are nearly impossible to use, if made on paper.

If you're going to use the prints within a year, paper is fine, but don't count on it for long term storage.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisibledancefloordale
Research Assistant

#10700024 - 07/18/09 03:35 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MescalitoTed said:

I would advise storage on aluminum foil or glass. You could also create an agar slant and store it in the fridge.

--------------------
Everything posted by the user dancefloordale, aside from what is written in this here clause is completely and utterly fictitious, despite any information read (or seen), above (or below) that might lead you to believe otherwise.

Hydra Tek - A detailed guide, for newest to the most skilled cultivators.

HCA

Bulk growing made easy-discussion
Bulk Growing Made Easy

Invisibledancefloordale
Research Assistant

Re: Long-Term Spore Print Viability (AKA Making a Spore Print Collection) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #10700089 - 07/18/09 03:43 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
I've had VERY poor results with more than 2 year old prints on paper.  Prints over 5 years old are nearly impossible to use, if made on paper.

If you're going to use the prints within a year, paper is fine, but don't count on it for long term storage.
RR

I recently made two syringes, both from 3 yr. old prints, one from foil the other from paper. I'm not saying the medium the print was on was the only factor, but the print on foil resulted in a much faster colonization time.

--------------------
Everything posted by the user dancefloordale, aside from what is written in this here clause is completely and utterly fictitious, despite any information read (or seen), above (or below) that might lead you to believe otherwise.

Hydra Tek - A detailed guide, for newest to the most skilled cultivators.

HCA

Bulk growing made easy-discussion
Bulk Growing Made Easy

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains