Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFoothill
violent back

please help poor sally
    #10660166 - 07/11/09 08:05 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I am not completely new to growing salvia. I had a big sally but I fell on it and destroyed it (don't ask), however I managed to take a cutting before the whole thing died. Frankly.. I fucking hate growing this plant, it's the most dificult thing I've ever grown. Let me show you my problem.

Here is that cutting I took, about three or four months after I potted it:

Here is that same cutting at about five or six months:

Obviously there us a huge leaf curl problem. I realize the brown leaf edges are considered 'normal' but my plants usually arent that bad. And a big concern is the stunted growth, it's pretty obvious that it hasn't grown at all.

Here's the hard facts: soil is about 70% high grade potting mixture, 30% equal parts perlite and vermiculite, and a bit of garden sulfur (acidic). It's in an east facing window getting sunlight. I water once a week. I have a layer of sand on top of the soil (I always get fungus gnats with salvia and this is literally the only thing that keeps them away, i've tried everything). RH is 50%, and temp is 80 degrees F. Fertilize every once in a while with smelly organic nasty stuff

Basically wtf is going wrong? And how do I make sally not look like shit anymore?

P.S. I realize the backgrounds look different which may lead some to assume that I move my plant around a bunch, that's not the case either.

any help is greatly appreciated

--------------------
What progress we are making. In the Middle Ages they would have burned me. Now they are content with burning my books. -Freud

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedrift
Male User Gallery

Re: please help poor sally [Re: Foothill]
    #10660307 - 07/11/09 08:26 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

The first thing wrong is the color of your stem looks terrible. I only get that color on new cuttings that develop root rot. I circled the part that looks bad to me, but at least it looks like it stops at the node.

I'm willing to bet if you looked under the soil, your roots are doing terrible. How often do you water, and does that mix drain well? The roots like a nice, airy mix that lets them breathe, not get compacted. Another thing that makes me think root problems is I only notice the curled leaves when I transplant and disturb the roots. What you should probably do is gently remove your salvia and check on the roots. Do not wash them off, but if they are ok, you should transplant into much better conditions:

Cover the bottom holes with rocks for awesome drainage and use one of these mixes:

50/50 soil mix + perlite
25 potting mix 25 orchid mix + 50% perlite

I've used both of those and have had maybe 1-2 out of 100+ salvia clones I've made die.

OfflineFoothill
violent back

Re: please help poor sally [Re: drift]
    #10660372 - 07/11/09 08:36 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah I noticed the stem too and figured it was some kind of rot, but it actually looks a lot better than it did a while back... so idk if it's rot or not? Idk much about stem or root rot. But if it's going away, that might say something?

It must be the roots, I bet you're right. Fungus gnats are probably fucking with things below the belt. As far as the soil, I've used this mixture with the previous sally and it did ok, but i'm sure it could be looser like you said. My last sally was in a 5 gallon bucket with holes i drilled and rocks over the holes like you said, so it probably DID have better drainage. The orchid mix/potting/perlite looks like a good mix.

Any tips on transplanting? Or rather how to go about changing the soil? This pot is already too big for this thing.

I wont be able to check the roots right now, but I bet you're right.

--------------------
What progress we are making. In the Middle Ages they would have burned me. Now they are content with burning my books. -Freud

OfflineProf. Astro
acirebma

#10660423 - 07/11/09 08:44 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

The roots wont be taken by the gnats, it's more like pruning with adult plants, it's only a danger to seedlings.

--------------------
:hanky:

Offlinedrift
Male User Gallery

#10660425 - 07/11/09 08:45 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Foothill said:
Yeah I noticed the stem too and figured it was some kind of rot, but it actually looks a lot better than it did a while back... so idk if it's rot or not? Idk much about stem or root rot. But if it's going away, that might say something?

It must be the roots, I bet you're right. Fungus gnats are probably fucking with things below the belt. As far as the soil, I've used this mixture with the previous sally and it did ok, but i'm sure it could be looser like you said. My last sally was in a 5 gallon bucket with holes i drilled and rocks over the holes like you said, so it probably DID have better drainage. The orchid mix/potting/perlite looks like a good mix.

Ah, it could be fungus gnats. Those little fuckers love to eat roots, but they usually don't mess with plants of that size. I'd definitely go with something that drains really well like the orchid mix vs them and water sparsely.

Quote:

Any tips on transplanting? Or rather how to go about changing the soil? This pot is already too big for this thing.

I wont be able to check the roots right now, but I bet you're right.

Transplanting isn't that bad if it's root bound, but yours probably isn't. I'd just be ready gentle and try to disturb them as little as possible, but you're going to mess them up a bit. They'll be ok.

OfflineSMUCKA
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: please help poor sally [Re: drift]
    #10663671 - 07/12/09 03:12 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

i started grow salvia this year i found to water them every day a good amount and let it drain. once showing signs of good new growth take out the top growing point and watch them bush out try to keep out of direct sunlight.

my 2 plants

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds