Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepsikonauxto
Stranger
 User Gallery
monotub contaminated? (pics)
    #10622793 - 07/04/09 11:12 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

This is my first monotub grow. I spawned rye berries inoculated with Mexican Albino spores to a coir/cpoo/etc substrate almost a month ago, and now I think it may be contaminated. There are brownish/reddish spots on the myc, clearly visible in the first photo to the lower left of the single fruit in the middle - I don't know if any molds look like this. There are some areas of the myc where there is a greenish-blue tint that could be mold - you can see one area in pic 2, taken just after misting so the myc is a little damp. But the greenish-blue color could also be bruised myc - I have to move the tub in and out of the closet sometimes and today the bottom flexed more than usual (there is a visible "seam" in the middle of the substrate), so maybe I injured the myc?

There were a few fruits that already grew past the pinning stage. They are small, thin, and on at least a couple the cap is very light tan with tiny dark specks. They are Mexican Albino as I mentioned - a small grow in a little Rubbermaid storage box I made with leftover spawn has produced a few healthy dark-capped shrooms, but it is a multispore grow. I attached the best pic of the fruits I could take to the end of the post.

So is this enough info to determine whether it's contaminated or not? What should I do next?

(Cross-posted to my "stalled monotub" thread in Cultivation)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

Loc: The Valley
Re: monotub contaminated? (pics) [Re: psikonauxto]
    #10624288 - 07/05/09 11:21 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I see no contams in that tub. Only metabolites and a dry substrate. Probabaly why it's stalled.

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
Re: monotub contaminated? (pics) [Re: blood4blood]
    #10624615 - 07/05/09 12:38 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

The blue-green spots look like bruising. Is the substrate pulling away from the plastic? If so, it's dried out and you need to dunk or pour a cup or two of water in there.

Offlinepsikonauxto
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: monotub contaminated? (pics) [Re: blood4blood]
    #10625312 - 07/05/09 03:16 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks, I was wondering if the brown spots might be metabolites. How do you tell that the substrate is dry / what should look different if it's moist enough?

Offlinepsikonauxto
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: monotub contaminated? (pics) [Re: Brennus]
    #10626361 - 07/05/09 06:40 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Yes, I think it's only bruising. I haven't had trich or any other green or blue mold before, so sometimes bruising makes me paranoid about contams. Especially because it didn't seem like there would be any reason for the myc to be bruised while still in the monotub. I've poured 1-1/2 cups of water into the tub, which hopefully will get it moist enough to fruit successfully.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag