Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejj peppers
Stranger
Drying and storing mushrooms
    #10621611 - 07/04/09 03:59 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

The mushrooms that I have grown have now matured completely. I am drying them under a a regular fan. They are on a table and the fan is just tilted downward on them. Am I doing the right thing in order to dry them?

2) How long can I store the dried mushrooms for?

3) What method/way of storing them should I do in order to store them for the longest possible period of time?

I am a beginner grower so thank you for answering.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehammy
Me, Myself and I
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Greater Seattle Area
Re: Drying and storing mushrooms [Re: jj peppers]
    #10621663 - 07/04/09 04:15 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I've heard people have stored them in jars with either an oxygen absorber or by displacing O2 with CO2 and small amount of desiccant, and they have lasted for months with no ill affects. 

The drying process sound fine, i dont know how much it will help but i usually have a slightly elevated screen to allow airflow around the entire mushroom. that was back in my picking days, now that i'm growing i plan on using a dehydrator.:smile: good luck

--------------------
Back after an unwanted hiatus

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Drying and storing mushrooms [Re: hammy]
    #10622622 - 07/04/09 10:06 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Fan drying alone is not enough for any extended storage. You must also afetr fan drying use a desiccant in a sealed container read up there are many teks on the subject. Most easy is a screen cut and placed in a Tupperware bowl above a desiccant of your choice I cheap one is silica cat litter or go to an art shop and pick up some flower dry silica. Anyways don't let the silica contact the mushrooms in the sealed container. Shooms are done when they snap apart and don't bend. "Cracker dry"! I have stored mushrooms for over a year without any noticeable loss of potency.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Re: Drying and storing mushrooms [Re: hyphae]
    #10622872 - 07/04/09 11:39 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Dehydrating  with a food dehydrator is good, though rumors of potency loss stray people from using them. Most users claim to not be able to tell the difference.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

OfflinePsilosophy
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Drying and storing mushrooms [Re: jj peppers]
    #10622884 - 07/04/09 11:43 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Yah there's lots of different ways, my buddy keeps them in a closet with a box fan running pointing up through a screen and a dehumidifier but that's overkill. In the chem lab they just use a desiccant like Quik-Dry or Damp-rid or some other home-depot bought chemical dehumidifer in a sealed container with some kind of barrier so the booms don't touch the chems.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order