Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineapoonanor
Time & Space Traveler

hard time finding gypsum
    #10616618 - 07/03/09 04:02 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

i have been having a tough time finding gypsum to add to my grain soak. all i could find is organic soil acidifier which says it is derived from elemental sulfer and gypsum. i just wanted to check and see if this would work for adding to my grain soak. i will be using WBS and i was also curious if gypsum is even needed. i know it helpd for rye grain to not stick but WBS seems to be a lot of different sizes so it seems like it may not be necessary. just wanted to ask before i use it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJustChill
Male

Re: hard time finding gypsum [Re: apoonanor]
    #10616682 - 07/03/09 04:13 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

What are the benefits of using Gypsum?

InvisibleAlexP
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: hard time finding gypsum [Re: JustChill]
    #10616705 - 07/03/09 04:17 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

You add nutrients to the grain. Calcium and sulphur, which are important for mushroom growth. The grains don't stick as much also.

--------------------
"To feel today what one felt yesterday isn't to feel - it's to remember today what was felt yesterday, to be today's living corpse of what yesterday was lived and lost." Fernando Pessoa

"When one creates phantoms for oneself, one puts vampires into the world, and one must nourish these children of a voluntary nightmare with one's blood, one's life, one's intelligence, and one's reason, without ever satisfying them." Eliphas Levi

"The joy of life consists in the exercise of one's energies, continual growth, constant change, the enjoyment of every new experience. To stop means simply to die. The eternal mistake of mankind is to set up an attainable ideal." Aleister Crowley

"The Universe is an artistic catharsis." Artifex Infinitum

Offlineapoonanor
Time & Space Traveler

Re: hard time finding gypsum [Re: AlexP]
    #10616721 - 07/03/09 04:19 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

i'm really just curious if the "elemental sulfur' will cause any problems. it seems that elemental sulfur and gypsum are the only ingredients. only problem is, most of the gypsum i've seen on here is a fine powder. this stuff is more granulated but if i'm just mixing it into my soak water, i don't think it would matter.

InvisiblePremedman1
Assistant to the insistent
 User Gallery

Loc: South of Sanity
Trusted Cultivator
    #10616789 - 07/03/09 04:29 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Just smash up some drywall.

--------------------
Build a man a fire, he is warm for the night. Set a man on fire, he is warm for the rest of his life.

Offlinevinnyvapor
aspiring mycologist
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: hard time finding gypsum [Re: Premedman1]
    #10616820 - 07/03/09 04:34 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I went to my local Lowe's and asked for the spacers that they use to separate the sheets of drywall.  They gave them to me for free and then I used a hammer to smash them up.

--------------------
"I now have absolute proof that smoking even one marijuana cigarette is equal in brain damage to being on Bikini Island during an H-bomb blast."

-Ronald Reagan

Offlinetektonic
Mr. Mani-fest-ival

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: RL
    #10616852 - 07/03/09 04:37 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

orchard supply has big bags for cheap

--------------------
Growery

Daily Tzolkin

:peace: :heart: :earth:

"If triangles' had a God, he would have 3 sides."

OfflineLostkeys
Fractal Thought Pattern
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sirius
Re: hard time finding gypsum [Re: vinnyvapor]
    #10616866 - 07/03/09 04:39 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
So heavy I fell through the earth...

Offlineapoonanor
Time & Space Traveler

Re: hard time finding gypsum [Re: Lostkeys]
    #10616978 - 07/03/09 04:56 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

but my question was more...will this stuff work...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ESPOMA-5-LB-SOIL-ACIDIFIER-GARDEN-SULFUR-GSUL5_W0QQitemZ200359379853QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFertilizer_Soil_Amendments?hash=item2ea659838d&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

i looked at home depot and lowers (and a local hardware store) and this was ll i could find so i grabbed it. can anyone see any reason why this wouldn't work? i looked for anything that was called just "gypsum" and couldn't find anything. this stuff was all i could find. it says the only ingredients are elemental sulfur and gypsum.

Edited by apoonanor (07/03/09 04:59 PM)

InvisiblePremedman1
Assistant to the insistent
 User Gallery

Loc: South of Sanity
Trusted Cultivator
    #10617096 - 07/03/09 05:22 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Regular garden gypsum (Calcium Sulfate Dihydrate) is composed of about 18-20% available sulfur, whereas the product you're looking at (soil conditioner) is around 30%.

It should work since the amount of sulfur isn't to detrimental levels, but it's going to cause your PH to drop. You may be forced to compensate with hydrated lime.

--------------------
Build a man a fire, he is warm for the night. Set a man on fire, he is warm for the rest of his life.

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #10617734 - 07/03/09 08:09 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

apoonanor said:
i'm really just curious if the "elemental sulfur' will cause any problems.

Sulphur isn't water soluble- but gypsum is. Mix it into hot water, pour through a filter. I don't know if a coffee filter will work, you might try a sock.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflinePsuper
Psilocybin

Loc: PNW
Re: hard time finding gypsum [Re: JustChill]
    #10617809 - 07/03/09 08:26 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

JustChill said:
What are the benefits of using Gypsum?

About 1/4tsp per cup of dry grain in soak water to keep grains from sticking.  It's like RR says in his rye berry-tek, You shouldn't even need to shake your jars of rye berries when you pull them out of the pc. :thumbup:

Gypsum can form about 10% total volume of your bulk substrate according to the old-hands here in the forums.  It's also a soil-conditioner.

Gypsum helps hold the pH of your casing layers steady. 

Gypsum is used in commercial mushroom farming.  It's good for growth.  Yeah, it provides sulfur and calcium.

Get some and use it. ~Pixie~

--------------------
Clinical Management of High Dose Psilocybin Sessions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbHOTIqjZLk

Offlinejerrylove
little bit further then I was
 User Gallery

Loc: shakedown street
Re: hard time finding gypsum [Re: Psuper]
    #10617949 - 07/03/09 09:00 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Dude seriously call Ace or True Value and ask if they can get gypsum. If they don't have it tell them that you need it for brown spots in the yard from your dogs. It will probably be pelletized if so put in a coffee grinder and grind to powder. This stuff works grate and a bag will last for ever. Pelletized Gypsum! Trust me if you do your home work dry wall is no good neither is the stuff with elemental sulfur.

--------------------
:mushroom2:THOSE WHO KNOW DONT TALK!:mad:THOSE WHO DONT KNOW CANT TALK.:smile: (Timothy Leary):mushroom2:
"Funny thing about weekends when your unemployed they don't mean quit so much except you get hang out with your workin' friends" Les Claypool

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: hard time finding gypsum [Re: jerrylove]
    #10617956 - 07/03/09 09:01 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

jerrylove said:
It will probably be pelletized if so put in a coffee grinder and grind to powder.

Nah, no need to grind it- it dissolves.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Offlinejerrylove
little bit further then I was
 User Gallery

Loc: shakedown street
Re: hard time finding gypsum [Re: Doc_T]
    #10618714 - 07/04/09 12:43 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

OK haven't tride that but I grind the pellets I've got are about a 3/16ths of an inch round.

--------------------
:mushroom2:THOSE WHO KNOW DONT TALK!:mad:THOSE WHO DONT KNOW CANT TALK.:smile: (Timothy Leary):mushroom2:
"Funny thing about weekends when your unemployed they don't mean quit so much except you get hang out with your workin' friends" Les Claypool

InvisibleElSeta
Female User Gallery

Loc: Atlantida.
Re: hard time finding gypsum [Re: jerrylove]
    #10620576 - 07/04/09 12:02 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

How much hydrated lime should be added to sawdust to pasteurize it? bearing in mind that it tends to grump and is not likely to drain completely. Would this remaining hydrated lime damage or even kill the mycelium? has anyone tried the "add and stir" method shown in the hydrogen peroxide manual? Could gypsum inhibit the activeness of hydrated lime? or the opposite?

--------------------
-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Looking for Lion's Mane and Yellow Oyster culture. Will trade for: Shiitake/King Oyster/Blue Oyster/White Beech.
Me for info.

Yes, you can see the real reality through a little window. Now, build a door.

Offlinebreakfast
n00b
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: hard time finding gypsum [Re: ElSeta]
    #10620662 - 07/04/09 12:17 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I couldn't find gypsum in the gardening section at home depot or lowes, but they have it in the building material section since its pretty much drywall. Sounds like you've been looking at gardening stuff.

InvisibleBUDDHA_702
Master Mycologist In Training
Male

Loc: Some Country
Re: hard time finding gypsum [Re: breakfast]
    #10620708 - 07/04/09 12:28 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Support our sponsors, and order it from one of them. Might take 1-3 weeks to receive depending on who you order from & your shipping method.

Offlineapoonanor
Time & Space Traveler

Re: hard time finding gypsum [Re: BUDDHA_702]
    #10621110 - 07/04/09 01:40 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

i finally found a friend who was doing some home repairs so i just got some drywall from him. i was shocked how tough it was to find. i figured lowes or home depot would have it but i couldn't find any anywhere. thanks for all the help and responses.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds