Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
No more chances for Rodney
    #10592129 - 06/29/09 12:21 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/29/ricci-decision-5-4-ruling_n_222233.html

Quote:

The Supreme Court has ruled that white firefighters in New Haven, Conn., were unfairly denied promotions because of their race, reversing a decision that high court nominee Sonia Sotomayor endorsed as an appeals court judge.

New Haven was wrong to scrap a promotion exam because no African-Americans and only two Hispanic firefighters were likely to be made lieutenants or captains based on the results, the court said Monday in a 5-4 decision. The city said that it had acted to avoid a lawsuit from minorities.

The ruling could alter employment practices nationwide, potentially limiting the circumstances in which employers can be held liable for decisions when there is no evidence of intentional discrimination against minorities.

"Fear of litigation alone cannot justify an employer's reliance on race to the detriment of individuals who passed the examinations and qualified for promotions," Justice Anthony Kennedy said in his opinion for the court. He was joined by Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Samuel Alito, Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas.

I have bolded above what I suspect will be vastly overlooked.  This sends a clear signal to the race-baiting fuckwads that the Supreme Court of the land will not accept fear of extortion as premise for discrimination.  Hello Sharpton, Hello ACORN.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: No more chances for Rodney [Re: zappaisgod]
    #10592393 - 06/29/09 01:19 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

This would make for some good conversation if they ever decided to actually
have a debate over the appointment of Sotomayor.

I won't hold my breath, though...

and I'm sure we will either hear little to no candid discussion on the statement
that the supreme court has made in the media or, at least, some fuckwits will turn
this in to something other than a clear damnation for yellow-bellied reverse racism.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #10592418 - 06/29/09 01:25 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

:rockon:

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineTHC Titan
Spoonman
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL, USA
Re: No more chances for Rodney [Re: afoaf]
    #10592976 - 06/29/09 03:23 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

afoaf said:and I'm sure we will either hear little to no candid discussion on the statement
that the supreme court has made in the media or, at least, some fuckwits will turn
this in to something other than a clear damnation for yellow-bellied reverse racism.

This case was not a judgment about reverse racism. The fire department didn't drop the test because they wanted to intentionally discriminate against against white people, despite what some people say (I think the same people who fear white people are becoming an endangered majority). According to the fire department, the test did adversely affect black test-takers, and they did not want to be subject to lawsuit by black firefighters. By nullifying the results of the test, after the test was taken, they were complying with anti-discrimination laws, and the white firefighter claimed discrimination had taken place.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: No more chances for Rodney [Re: THC Titan]
    #10593034 - 06/29/09 03:40 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Do you have one single thing to back up that relentless diatribe of bullshit?

At no point did anybody show any reason to believe the test was biased other than that Rodney couldn't pass it.  Further, and this is beyond your ken I know, the rationale given by the City was that they feared lawsuits from well organized grievance groups.  So they decided, out of cowardice, to pander to them even before they filed suit and fuck over everybody who actually passed the test.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #10593191 - 06/29/09 04:15 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

THC Titan said:
Quote:

afoaf said:and I'm sure we will either hear little to no candid discussion on the statement

This case was not a judgment about reverse racism. The fire department didn't drop the test because they wanted to intentionally discriminate against against white people, despite what some people say (I think the same people who fear white people are becoming an endangered majority). According to the fire department, the test did adversely affect black test-takers, and they did not want to be subject to lawsuit by black firefighters. By nullifying the results of the test, after the test was taken, they were complying with anti-discrimination laws, and the white firefighter claimed discrimination had taken place.

What an astonishing load of crap.

Not astonishing that you would say it as I've seen you say some truly amazing thing. Astonishing in that you seem to think anyone would be stupid enough to believe it.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
    #10593313 - 06/29/09 04:43 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

THC Titan said:
Quote:

what?

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #10593706 - 06/29/09 06:04 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

THC Titan said:
This case was not a judgment about reverse racism.

that's right, it was about racism because reverse racism is a
move away from racism and sotomeyers ruling was in fact
promotion of racism

Quote:

The fire department didn't drop the test because they wanted to intentionally discriminate against against white people...According to the fire department, the test did adversely affect black test-takers, and they did not want to be subject to lawsuit by black firefighters.

correct, it was meant to entitle those less qualified to fill
positions they obviously were not smart enough to fill, it just
so happened those folks were black and I'm sure it that when you
learn your too stupid to fill a position that it would have an
adverse effect, oh fucking well

Quote:

By nullifying the results of the test, after the test was taken, they were complying with anti-discrimination laws, and the white firefighter claimed discrimination had taken place.

and the white firefighters are right because they'd been
discriminated against whether based on race or intelligence

OfflineCaptainCrunch
Contrary ToPopular Belief

Loc: Somwhere Over the rainbow
Re: No more chances for Rodney [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #10594518 - 06/29/09 09:10 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

prisoner#1 your the shit.. i read everybody's post often but i enjoys Seuss and you and phred probably the most keep up the good work..:thumbup:

InvisibleTherian
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: No more chances for Rodney [Re: CaptainCrunch]
    #10595261 - 06/29/09 11:22 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

THC stated that the test adversely affected the blacks, of course it did, they were too stupid to pass the damn test. I didn't know tests were intended to reward the ignorant. It's kind of funny I mentioned this case not too long ago. I wonder if the decision is overturned maybe they will resort to the rap battle for promotion idea.

This country has become a joke. Now the most intelligent and most qualified are punished, that is if they are white. Just keep lowering the bar. I know the admission requirements to med school are discriminatory to retards, I'm sure that there are quite a few kids with downs syndrome that would rather be performing surgery than bagging groceries. We need to lower the standards so they can also be admitted. Honestly how is it fair to them? Maybe we should now enact a short bus window licker, helmet wearer, non discriminatory exam mandate. 

The Negros may have a point though, I'm sure the test required basic problem solving skills, perhaps reading comprehension, and basic mathematics, all of which they perform at substandard levels. But fear not Negros, Negresses,  I'm sure Mr. Sharpton, and Jackson will soon be picketing and attempting to intimidate the local community to allow this discrimination to take place. They can just do what the universities do and give them racial preference points, you know when your house is burning down and you need someone to put it out, or save the lives of your family it will be good to know that the firefighters may not be the most qualified to help you out, but at least they'll be black.

This is the same bullshit that happened when that black reporter for the Times was falsifying stories and completely fabricating interviews he never performed. His boss said they knew he was full of shit and by publishing his works, their paper ultimately lost credibility. But they stated they were afraid they would be called racists, or have a lawsuit filed against them if they fired the guy. Now not only do you have to promote based solely on race, but you can't fire an incompetent negro, simply based on race. It's a win/win for the negroids.

Edited by Therian (12/04/12 09:40 PM)

OfflineTHC Titan
Spoonman
Male User Gallery

#10595445 - 06/30/09 12:04 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
that's right, it was about racism because reverse racism is a
move away from racism and sotomeyers ruling was in fact
promotion of racism

Yeah, and the district court, and the other members of the panel she was on, and the dissenting opinions on the Supreme Court. They must be racists too! Why do they hate white people so much?!

Quote:

Quote:

The fire department didn't drop the test because they wanted to intentionally discriminate against against white people...According to the fire department, the test did adversely affect black test-takers, and they did not want to be subject to lawsuit by black firefighters.

correct, it was meant to entitle those less qualified to fill
positions they obviously were not smart enough to fill, it just
so happened those folks were black and I'm sure it that when you
learn your too stupid to fill a position that it would have an
adverse effect, oh fucking well

Factually wrong; the decision by New Haven did not pass over top-scoring firefighters for promotions to give the positions to blacks. The test was simply not certified at all. You're trying to inject heavy-handed racial tension into this case.

Quote:

Quote:

By nullifying the results of the test, after the test was taken, they were complying with anti-discrimination laws, and the white firefighter claimed discrimination had taken place.

and the white firefighters are right because they'd been
discriminated against whether based on race or intelligence

After your performance in the last thread where you straight-up lied about the contents of a bill and refused to acknowledge it even in the face of incontrovertible evidence, I'm not sure if it's worth it to have a discussion with you. You appear to be somewhat unwilling to engaged in a nuanced or intellectually honest debate, but I'll try anyway!

Simply put, the case is about compliance with Title VII, not a mandate on the merits of affirmative action. I don't think anyone believes there was discriminatory intent within the test itself that was meant to exclude black people. However, given that the results of the test showed black candidates performing worse than expected based on comparison with the results of prior tests, and the opinions of its counsel at the time, the city believed that it could be held liable under Title VII if it certified the results. After a few months of hearings, they narrowly voted not to certify them. The issue the Supreme Court handled was whether it was unreasonable for them to do that.

By the way, zappa, I know I don't want to hear the answer to this, but what is the "Rodney" you keep smugly inserting in place of what I assume to be "black people" in your posts? I could not find it in the article. I shudder to think you're actually making a reference to Rodney King as an epithet for black people and black firefighters, holy shit.

OfflineTHC Titan
Spoonman
Male User Gallery

#10595991 - 06/30/09 02:12 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

It's also extremely ironic that by setting a new, more stringent standard for establishing the disparate impact of employment tests, the conservative members of the Court have in effect made policy.

I recall Sotomoyor being heavily criticized by this forum for espousing that basic judicial function, although I see there's no complaints when the results favor your beliefs.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #10596376 - 06/30/09 06:23 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

> it was meant to entitle those less qualified to fill positions they obviously were not smart enough to fill

I don't think we can make any judgment towards their intelligence based upon failing a test.  They certainly were ignorant of the material being tested, but that does not mean that they are stupid.

Regarding the ruling, it is nice to see the court strike down discrimination.  It is unfortunate that nearly half the court continues to embrace discrimination.  With the 'better than the rest of us' Sotomayor going in soon, the direction of the court will become pro-discrimination once again.  Another unfortunate legacy of the Obama administration that we the people are going to have to suffer for the next few decades.

For those that support affirmative action, remember, discrimination begets hate and affirmative action is most certainly a form of discrimination.  The first step to ending racial hatred is ending racial discrimination, in all forms.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#10596800 - 06/30/09 09:18 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

THC Titan said:
It's also extremely ironic that by setting a new, more stringent standard for establishing the disparate impact of employment tests, the conservative members of the Court have in effect made policy.

I recall Sotomoyor being heavily criticized by this forum for espousing that basic judicial function, although I see there's no complaints when the results favor your beliefs.

Once again you prove you have zero understanding of the matter at hand.  Or the English language.  What the fuck does this mean?
"more stringent standard for establishing the disparate impact of employment tests"
The Court actually avoided any equal protection decision, which was there for the taking should they have felt the desire to "make law".  What was actually rejected was the argument by New Haven that they had to toss a test (that nobody ever showed to be biased) simply because they feared lawsuits due to the fact that the results didn't meet some kind of acceptable quota.  Let us not forget that this was a relatively small sample size and that it wasn't even statistically significant in result to prove a bias.  "Sued if you do, sued if you don't" is no justification.  New Haven didn't even attempt to argue that the test was biased.

The Supreme Court simply threw out the results of the New Haven officials' cowardice in the face of Sharpton/ACORN type extortion.  They rather ripped the cowards a new asshole for it.  Which is not a surprise.  New Haven is one seriously fucked up town.

Sotomayor got criticized for punting and allowing an obvious case of racial discrimination to stand.  She was equally cowardly.  Is it your argument that any decision by any judge in any case is judicial activism?  Because that is one dumb argument.

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Re: No more chances for Rodney [Re: CaptainCrunch]
    #10596984 - 06/30/09 10:11 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

CaptainCrunch said:
prisoner#1 your the shit.. i read everybody's post often but i enjoys Seuss and you and phred probably the most keep up the good work..:thumbup:

I hope you dont believe everything I say in here, it's the
political forum, I figure I need to act like Obama from time to tiem

OfflineTHC Titan
Spoonman
Male User Gallery

#10597000 - 06/30/09 10:15 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Quote:

THC Titan said:

Once again you prove you have zero understanding of the matter at hand.  Or the English language.  What the fuck does this mean?
"more stringent standard for establishing the disparate impact of employment tests"
The Court actually avoided any equal protection decision, which was there for the taking should they have felt the desire to "make law".  What was actually rejected was the argument by New Haven that they had to toss a test (that nobody ever showed to be biased) simply because they feared lawsuits due to the fact that the results didn't meet some kind of acceptable quota.  Let us not forget that this was a relatively small sample size and that it wasn't even statistically significant in result to prove a bias.  "Sued if you do, sued if you don't" is no justification.  New Haven didn't even attempt to argue that the test was biased.

The Supreme Court simply threw out the results of the New Haven officials' cowardice in the face of Sharpton/ACORN type extortion.  They rather ripped the cowards a new asshole for it.  Which is not a surprise.  New Haven is one seriously fucked up town.

Sotomayor got criticized for punting and allowing an obvious case of racial discrimination to stand.  She was equally cowardly.  Is it your argument that any decision by any judge in any case is judicial activism?  Because that is one dumb argument.

Clearly by raving about the unrelated actors of Sharpton and ACORN without mentioning the core issues of disparate impact and Title VII, you're the one who's talking out of ignorance. Here's a ditty for you:

Quote:

The Supreme Court first described the disparate impact theory in 1971, in Griggs v. Duke Power Co., 401 U.S. 424, 431-2 (1971): Title VII "proscribes not only overt discrimination but also practices that are fair in form, but discriminatory in operation. The touchstone is business necessity. . . . [G]ood intent or absence of discriminatory intent does not redeem employment procedures or testing mechanisms that operate as 'built-in headwinds' for minority groups and are unrelated to measuring job capability."

In other words, there doesn't even need to be massive racial bias in order to call the test into question, if the results reveal a disparate impact. "Sued if you do, sued if you don't" sounds like a pretty damn good justification for throwing out the results and seeking an alternative testing method (such as a practical exam instead of written). Furthermore, in case you didn't read more of the majority opinion (which wouldn't surprise me), one of the SCOTUS judges established a new test for a "strong basis in evidence" before results can be thrown out. This legal standard didn't exist prior to this case, and was unavailable to New Haven at the time of their decision to not certify the results. This is going to place a much higher burden of proof on employers before they can dismiss a test, which is obviously a change in policy.

Are you going to respond to my query about "Rodney"?

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#10597070 - 06/30/09 10:35 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

THC Titan said:
Yeah, and the district court, and the other members of the panel she was on, and the dissenting opinions on the Supreme Court. They must be racists too! Why do they hate white people so much?!

because they can

Quote:

The test was simply not certified at all. You're trying to inject heavy-handed racial tension into this case.

whoops, that mus be a little bit of my THC Titan showing

Quote:

After your performance in the last thread where you straight-up lied about the contents of a bill and refused to acknowledge it even in the face of incontrovertible evidence, I'm not sure if it's worth it to have a discussion with you. You appear to be somewhat unwilling to engaged in a nuanced or intellectually honest debate, but I'll try anyway!

did you read the 1200 pages of that bill yet?

Quote:

Simply put, the case is about compliance with Title VII, not a mandate on the merits of affirmative action. I don't think anyone believes there was discriminatory intent within the test itself that was meant to exclude black people.

so an anti-discrimination law that allows to discriminate
against people that scored well on a test, most of which happen
to be white, in order to fill the positions in a non-discriminatory'
manner that complies with a law based on the racist practice of
overlooking the more qualified of the race of 'majority' while
promoting the less qualified race of 'minority' in order to
'maximize diversity' as opposed to choosing the most qualified
to do the job...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirmative_action

it's surprising that these tests not come under fire after decades of use

Quote:

By the way, zappa, I know I don't want to hear the answer to this, but what is the "Rodney" you keep smugly inserting in place of what I assume to be "black people" in your posts?

can you not call someone a racist for a few minutes?

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#10597075 - 06/30/09 10:36 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

THC Titan said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Quote:

THC Titan said:

Clearly by raving about the unrelated actors of Sharpton and ACORN without mentioning the core issues of disparate impact and Title VII, you're the one who's talking out of ignorance. Here's a ditty for you:

Quote:

The Supreme Court first described the disparate impact theory in 1971, in Griggs v. Duke Power Co., 401 U.S. 424, 431-2 (1971): Title VII "proscribes not only overt discrimination but also practices that are fair in form, but discriminatory in operation. The touchstone is business necessity. . . . [G]ood intent or absence of discriminatory intent does not redeem employment procedures or testing mechanisms that operate as 'built-in headwinds' for minority groups and are unrelated to measuring job capability."

In other words, there doesn't even need to be massive racial bias in order to call the test into question, if the results reveal a disparate impact. "Sued if you do, sued if you don't" sounds like a pretty damn good justification for throwing out the results and seeking an alternative testing method (such as a practical exam instead of written).

There was a written portion and an oral portion.  In order to be a firefighter at all you have to pass a physical.  New Haven did not even attempt to argue that the test was biased.  You're arguing that but they didn't.  Given that they knew what was on the test and you don't, for what reason other than oppositional personality disorder are you trying to go there?  Equality of opportunity does not equal equality of result.

I'm not raving about Sharpton and ACORN.  Merely pointing out that fear of extortion is no reason to punish a group based on racial preferences.  New Haven's position was that they had to drop the test because they would be sued by the likes of those scum.

Further, It is not a bad thing to overturn a previously racist decision by the Supreme Court, as you well know.
Quote:

Furthermore, in case you didn't read more of the majority opinion (which wouldn't surprise me), one of the SCOTUS judges established a new test for a "strong basis in evidence" before results can be thrown out. This legal standard didn't exist prior to this case, and was unavailable to New Haven at the time of their decision to not certify the results. This is going to place a much higher burden of proof on employers before they can dismiss a test, which is obviously a change in policy.

Good. Fear of being sued is no justification and that was all that was ever offered.  Further, the Court totally punted on the Equal Protection argument, which would have completely overturned the disparate results effect of Title VII, which kind of squashes like a bug your argument that they took an activist position.  They avoided it entirely, which is too bad.
Quote:

Are you going to respond to my query about "Rodney"?

I missed that.  It's an old joke.  Google "Give Rodney another chance."  They keep giving the kid questions until he can pass.  It has nothing to do with Rodney King.

--------------------

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
    #10599576 - 06/30/09 07:01 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Lets stop and look at things from the other point of view. If blacks can't pass tests as well as whites, shouldn't they get a handout? Whether it's because they can't do it or because they don't try very hard, it seems clear they have a harder time. What's wrong with giving them the job and the promotion based on race? Does that hurt anyone? Just whites, and we know they don't count.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: No more chances for Rodney [Re: Stonehenge]
    #10599609 - 06/30/09 07:06 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Joke, right?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order