Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleBUDDHA_702
Master Mycologist In Training
Male

Loc: Some Country
FUUUUCCCCKKKK VISTA!!! Ubunutu owns Vista!!!
    #10583615 - 06/27/09 09:24 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Ok started using windows around win95, I used win98se until Vista came out.. I would give my left nut to have my 98 install back..

Vista is just a piece of fucking SHIT!!! I use to be a Vista nut, I would push vista on anyone who hasn't tried it yet. Now I just wanna give the shit up.. I mean I just reinstalled Vista hp 32bit for the 4th time to fix some install issues that made the start window popup on every restart. On this fresh install I installed 3 programs that I couldn't live without Firefox, Bit defender & CS:S / Steam.
After installing those 3 apps I'm already getting program crashes & Errors.

Since I'm pretty savvy I said FUCK IT, And got my ass over to ubuntu.com & got my ass a copy of there latest 64bit OS for FREEEEE!!!
Boots in less than 60 seconds & has any & every App you need for freee from openoffice to GIMP & every thing in between. Now ubunutu is a linux Distributions so there are a few thing that your better off doing on Windows... Like Gaming & using Adobe products.

If your thinking about trying ubuntu you can for free & without installing it!!! all you need to do is go to the website & download the version you want, burn the ISO to disc(make sure you burn the ISO image!) pop it in & you got your self a live CD witch you can use as if it were a complete OS on a CD. The point of this is to try it before you have to install it to a partition.

If you don't like it or it seems to complex then just take out the CD & it's like nothing ever happened. But if you want to install it permanently all you have to do is click the Install icon on the desktop.

well thats that =)

p.s. I hope windows 7 Isn't like Vista in this way, but there made from the same source code I think..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblearainbow
Hippy

Loc: Palnet Earth
Re: FUUUUCCCCKKKK VISTA!!! Ubunutu owns Vista!!! [Re: BUDDHA_702]
    #10583932 - 06/27/09 10:38 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Slackware owns you bum to
BUT you must be willing to learn linux to use it
there are linux apps that can do just about anything that adobe apps can do and adobe has a 64bit flash player out

--------------------
There is more joy in heaven over one of us perfected,
  than over ninety-nine naturally evolved angels.

InvisibleBUDDHA_702
Master Mycologist In Training
Male

Loc: Some Country
Re: FUUUUCCCCKKKK VISTA!!! Ubunutu owns Vista!!! [Re: arainbow]
    #10584103 - 06/27/09 11:20 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

yea I hear ya there, I got Ubunutu because I'm a linux noob. I like having the Gnome GUI & the CLI makes it easier to learn I think. Only thing I've done in CLI is install that 64bit flash player for firefox...

Whats good about slackware?
I've used slax but only for a few minutes at a friends house.

Invisiblearainbow
Hippy

#10584314 - 06/28/09 12:07 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

it's easy to fix if something goes wrong

it boots faster than most other distros 
it's smaller than other distros but still complete
programs start faster
because all the binaries are striped of all debugging info

it encourages you to learn linux
it's well supported by it's users
it's super easy to update the whole distro (even from source)
with slackbuild scripts apps are effort less to install from source
it runs better on older computers than most distros (right back to 386 machines with older versions )

--------------------

Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
Loc: TEXAS
    #10591610 - 06/29/09 10:10 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

arainbow said:
it's easy to fix if something goes wrong

it boots faster than most other distros 
it's smaller than other distros but still complete
programs start faster
because all the binaries are striped of all debugging info

it encourages you to learn linux
it's well supported by it's users
it's super easy to update the whole distro (even from source)
with slackbuild scripts apps are effort less to install from source
it runs better on older computers than most distros (right back to 386 machines with older versions )

I tried out slackware and didn't really like it.  If you have some extra time to kill, check out Archlinux, its very nice and still my favorite, about to go back in fact, just slacking off since everything works on the Sabayon install im using now, I just like to mix it up.

OP...you went from windows to the windows equivalent in linux flavors IMO.  While it is a good distro and comes with everything you need setup, it doesn't lend itself as well to actually learning linux inside and out, and comes bloated with TONS of software, most of which you probably won't ever use.

If your up for trying something new, try out archlinux, my favorite to date, and thats why I push it. 

Or, if you want some torture, give gentoo a try, it was fun once i got it all figured out, but its a huge PITA.  Sabayon, what im using now, is gentoo with some prebuilt stuff, making it a little easier.

in the end, arch ftw.

peace

Invisiblearainbow
Hippy

Re: FUUUUCCCCKKKK VISTA!!! Ubunutu owns Vista!!! [Re: supra]
    #10592343 - 06/29/09 01:04 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

you bum to to me is the windows of linux super dumbed down and it tires to protect you from your self
the bloat you speak of is in most of the older major distros like debian,red hat,suse and slackware
linux bloat is software that is useful to someone that can be removed
on the other hand
windows bloat is simply sloppy programming useless cruft that can't be removed
if you have ever used a M$ compiler it's easy to understand where this bloat comes from in 1989 I had the quick basic 4.5 compiler the hello_world.exe was 36K
that's 36 kilo bytes just to print hello world to the screen compared to the other extreme of assembly code 18 bytes 
so in terms of bloat there is nothing in any linux distro that compares to windows bloat

about every thing being setup for you in slackware I disagree with you on that statement YES there are config files for every thing BUT almost every option is commented out

--------------------

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

#10592358 - 06/29/09 01:09 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

arainbow said:
there are linux apps that can do just about anything that adobe apps can do and adobe has a 64bit flash player out

Yah yah, and freeBSD is even more hardcore. Slackware is only for the most hardcore of nerds, and it is not a pleasure to use.

--------------------

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
Re: FUUUUCCCCKKKK VISTA!!! Ubunutu owns Vista!!! [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #10592472 - 06/29/09 01:35 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I find FreeBSD the easiest operating system to use as far as customization and logical layout. Don't really use it for the GUI though, and alot of the cutting edge software will take a little time to be ported, not usually too long though

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

Offlineinsectvhore
lord of flies

#10594720 - 06/29/09 09:48 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Visionary Tools said:
Quote:

arainbow said:

Yah yah, and freeBSD is even more hardcore. Slackware is only for the most hardcore of nerds, and it is not a pleasure to use.

i have nothing but pleasure deriving from my slackware nodes

it might not be as simple to install something (although it is very simple with sbopkg and slackpkg) but you definitely will not have as much problems with stability as you will with ubuntu/fedora/suse/arch/gentoo/etc.

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: FUUUUCCCCKKKK VISTA!!! Ubunutu owns Vista!!! [Re: tak]
    #10594743 - 06/29/09 09:50 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

tak said:
I find FreeBSD the easiest operating system to use as far as customization and logical layout. Don't really use it for the GUI though, and alot of the cutting edge software will take a little time to be ported, not usually too long though

I was being sarcastic! BSD and (anything but)slackware are a pain in the neck and downright inacessable. I do not apreciate having to do practically everything from the CLI, this isin't 1970 anymore. Come on dudes, we've got minority report style gesture based interfaces, and soon there will be (sinester or super cool, depending on your take) mind controlled computers. Arcane commands and super strict syntax structure for me does not constitute a desktop operating system.

But hey, that's why I like Unix, it's like the first amendment. I might loathe balls sucking dick or anything-but-slackware, but I know it has it's uses, and it's freedom of expression. Some people might want to turn a K6 or P2 into a fileserver, and slackware would be suitable for that. Some people might have a 486 lying around and instead of paying lots for a router, sticking a few NICs into it then installing monowall is the way to go.

Ubuntu is attractive to me, it just works. Some people like to spend ages tinkering with getting their pc to load half a second faster. Nahh that doesn't bother me. My PC's are plenty fast enough. I just want to hit up the history sites, listen to music and play games.

--------------------

Offlineinsectvhore
lord of flies

#10594791 - 06/29/09 09:57 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

i would rather have control at the most fundamental level with the CLI and have the most stable operating system around, then to wave my hand around to copy files

not that you can't have LOL SPINAN CUEBS with slackware, but if all you want to do "hit up the history sites, listen to music and play games" then why do you want/need an operating system that uses unstable experimental code?  just cause it looks pretty?

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: FUUUUCCCCKKKK VISTA!!! Ubunutu owns Vista!!! [Re: insectvhore]
    #10594852 - 06/29/09 10:09 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

FreeBSD has most of what linux does as far as Daemon GUI tools, etc. I mean, its all software that can usually be cross compiled. If not, there is the ports tree, which has a GUI, but nothing really easier than typing 'make install'

It's all personal choice though, the FreeBSD installer is ncurses GUI, which is an ANSI based terminal interface with basic mouse support. Also, the standard X config will usually give you very very conservative graphics drivers, unless you are using a 3rd party config script.

The real seller for me is the kernel, and how easy it is to customize, and recompile / upgrade the system without any real work. I dunno, making shit work is fun for me so I cannot really say I am on the same level as most computer users. I like when things work, that is a primary reason for me using OSX as my main OS for a while. OSX just works, it is as basic and userfriendly as you could ever want, and if you want to jump into a Bash# prompt, its 2 clicks away, running the same qmail, apache, ftp, and ssh daemons as your favorite linux distro. I love unix, and I love eyecandy/GUI. Maybe that is why OSX is probably the best client OS im my opinion. With FreeBSD being the best server OS. Opinions may vary!

--------------------

Invisiblearainbow
Hippy

#10595013 - 06/29/09 10:38 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

WOW
I never thought it was so easy to start a distro holy war
you can always find a distro holy war at the linux forums but this is the first one I have seen here

once you slack you never go back

--------------------

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10595051 - 06/29/09 10:44 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I think its pretty healthy for the community. It never hurts to have an overabundance of facts, and experienced opinions when searching for answers. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and preference. I wish there was more technical discussion here, I know there are alot of smart people around.

--------------------

Invisiblesherm
sherman
 User Gallery

Loc: Euthanasia
    #10598196 - 06/30/09 02:48 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I'll get in on this one, for the noobs that come along:3dglasses:

Ubuntu is for when you don't give a shit, and just want the fucker to work, right damn now. Particularly when dealing with a desktop environment, but this can apply to simple servers also.
Put the cd in there, smack enter a few times, maybe check out the ubuntu and ubuntu community docs, and thats it. You're done.
Watch the security updates, apt-get update, apt-get upgrade. You can spend your time working on other shit.

For more specialized situations it might be better to use other distros.
I built a CLI streaming internet radio player with gentoo, on a crap box that couldn't even handle xfce properly, it worked great.

I like using debian on a server because because for what I do, I don't care about newer software, just the security updates.
A simple debian system built with debootstrap comes as bare as I need, and is good for using as a staring point.
And its damn fast to get setup also, Especially when you are using Xen virtual machines.
Using Xen virtualization on a debian host machine, and running debian virtual machines on it has me entirely spoiled. It is way too easy to admin, backup, and add new virtual machines.

It all just depends on what you want to do.

--------------------
shroomery.
not even once.

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

#10598375 - 06/30/09 03:18 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

arainbow said:
WOW
I never thought it was so easy to start a distro holy war
you can always find a distro holy war at the linux forums but this is the first one I have seen here

once you slack you never go back

Slackware gave my hard drive aids.

Then again EXT4 gave me a big scare to.

For now, I'm not bothering with Linux, as I can't get wireless to work in my laptop, and I don't see why I should buy another wireless when the one I got works just fine. I'll try ubuntu again when 9.10 comes out cos I really do like it, bloat and unstable bits and all, and see if it can work with my inbuilt wireless.

--------------------

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Afghanistan Flag
    #10610421 - 07/02/09 03:18 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Have you tried NDIS wrapper?

--------------------

Invisiblearainbow
Hippy

Re: FUUUUCCCCKKKK VISTA!!! Ubunutu owns Vista!!! [Re: HELLA_TIGHT]
    #10621538 - 07/04/09 03:33 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

the thing I like about linux in generally
is that it is a set it and forget it 

once I get something working it tends to stay working no so with that crap put out by M$

--------------------

OfflineDie
Strangler

#10634774 - 07/07/09 09:21 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Would I need to find drivers for ubunutu after the installation.  I can hardly find any for this laptop in windows!

Does ubunutu run windows programs?  :confused:

Invisiblesherm
sherman
 User Gallery

Loc: Euthanasia
Re: FUUUUCCCCKKKK VISTA!!! Ubunutu owns Vista!!! [Re: Die]
    #10635140 - 07/07/09 10:52 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

if your hardware is supported you wont need to find drivers.

you can run windows programs in wine or virtualbox, but there are limitations to this.

download the iso and boot it up. this will give you an idea if your hardware is fully supported or not.
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

--------------------
shroomery.
not even once.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom