Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemycophile_ct
Stranger
 User Gallery
Little Brown Mushroom, CT - Panns?
    #10580720 - 06/27/09 08:04 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Habitat:
Growing on a well cared for lawn, no trees or other plants on this patch.

Gills:
Chocolate brown gills

Stem:
Long, and centrally inserted with a solid feel. Kind of thin, with a sandy color. Seems to have lines, almost like it were made of wound fibers

Cap:
Diameter varies, color was brown, two tone in the younger specimens, almost solid in the larger. Looks alot like the Pan Foes I've found on countless lawns.

Cap appears to be campanulate, but I'm still learning the proper terms so I could be wrong :laugh:

Spore print color:
Quite black, see pictures

Bruising:
None observed

Other information:
Smells like a pleasant mushroom when fresh, a little like urine when dry. See pictures for more info.

Edited by mycophile_ct (06/29/09 02:50 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemasspan
l'eclair
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Little Brown Mushroom, CT [Re: mycophile_ct]
    #10580735 - 06/27/09 08:11 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

if the print is jet black, looks like p. cincts, but wait fofr a TI :smile:

--------------------

my mother said, to get things done, you'd better not mess with Major Tom...whose status is the baddest, everytime 'they' bless the apparatus

Offlinemycophile_ct
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Little Brown Mushroom, CT [Re: masspan]
    #10580750 - 06/27/09 08:17 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the pic, the color is definitely right on the spore print. Did you notice your stipe has some bluing in the photo?

As for a TI, I imagine Alan or Curecat will be along when they have time :smile:

Quote:

masspan said:
if the print is jet black, looks like p. cincts, but wait fofr a TI :smile:

Offlinemasspan
l'eclair
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #10580763 - 06/27/09 08:21 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

yes some faint blueing :smile: i haven't had the patience to look for lawn cincts personally and go straight for the dung heaps where i know what to look for without having to print most of what i find. the lawn you found these in probably fertilizes with manure of some kind. if that's the case, that would be a very good thing :tongue:

--------------------

my mother said, to get things done, you'd better not mess with Major Tom...whose status is the baddest, everytime 'they' bless the apparatus

InvisibleBipolardox
^^^Like the name says^^^
Male

Loc: Renton Wa
Re: Little Brown Mushroom, CT [Re: masspan]
    #10583024 - 06/27/09 07:30 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

look like Panaeolus cinctulus to me to, black print, zones of color around margin, fiber on stipe not straight, and stipe color redish brown, not white:thumbup:
Still wait for a trusted identifier to look at.

--------------------
"When everyone goes home, you're stuck with yourself."
~Layne Staley~
"Life Is Good, and every breath is a gift"  ~Bipolardox~

Offlinemycophile_ct
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Little Brown Mushroom, CT [Re: Bipolardox]
    #10596185 - 06/30/09 04:04 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Nobody else is interested in taking a crack at these? I guess the title "Little Brown Mushroom" is scaring people away ;D

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
    #10596284 - 06/30/09 05:17 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

The spore print looks right for Panaeolus cinctulus. I'd say that's what they are. Please try to improve your photo skills.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
    #10596308 - 06/30/09 05:36 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Agreed, those look like P. cinctulus.

--------------------

Offlinewcsmith
Stranger

Re: Little Brown Mushroom, CT [Re: CureCat]
    #10596479 - 06/30/09 07:20 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

i live in rhode island and i find the same ones all the time. but i find them mixed in with pan. foen. they have a slight bluing but very faint at the bottom of the stem. and they smell pretty gross when dried... but i thought they were all subbs at first but they left darker and lighter spore prints. meanwhile they got all mixed up and i still have them dried.... i can get more ... but i guess i would have to try them in order to know if theyre active.... i dont have photos but theyre the same ones.  any ways should i just eat them and find out since i cant figure out how to get pics to go from my cell phone to my computor yet.. and i kinda feel like in butting in on someone elses pics.... sorry... but let me know if they were subbs or not. if u find out for sure because it would help me become more determined of a shroomer

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Re: Little Brown Mushroom, CT [Re: wcsmith]
    #10596516 - 06/30/09 07:34 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

They grow in the same habitat, so what you describe is perfectly possible. The ones that blue at the base are Panaeolus cinctulus for sure. Take a spore print of those you are not sure about. If it isn't jet black, but rather blackish-brown then it's Panaeolina foenisecii. It's no tragedy if you mix in an occasional foe with your subbs, in that case you'll just have to eat more to feel the effects, of course, but they aren't in any way toxic.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Offlinemycophile_ct
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Little Brown Mushroom, CT [Re: German Kahuna]
    #10597683 - 06/30/09 01:00 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Thank you for the confirmation. I will try to work on my photo skills. Macro mode is tricky :-\

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract