Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

Loc: United States
Back from Block Island, id and confirmation requests
    #10532745 - 06/18/09 08:34 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Tomorrow I am going to Block island, off of Rhode Island.  I want to use the trip in part to bone up on my identification skills.  I have been to the island numerous times and am familiar with it. It's been raining in the northeast pretty much non stop for months now.  It the last couple days I have been seeing mushrooms popping up from it here in Mass.  There are several points that make Block Island interesting in terms of mycological survey:

1. It has been separate from the mainland since it was carved out by glaciers during the ice age.

2. It has several species from other kingdoms that only exist on the island, such as amphibians and insects,.  I wonder then if unique species of fungi exist there also.

3.  Most of the island is protected from development, and has a vast array of undisturbed habitats from grassland to deep forests. 

4. i do not know of a mycological survey previously conducted on Block Island.

Among other reasons.  I may find nothing, or tons; I will have to see.  I will have a laptop with internet connection so I will do my best to update this post with information as I get it.  I will have a journal, 8mp camera with excellent macro, magnifying glass, several field guides, etc.  I will do my  best to collect as much data as possible:

Habitat:
Gills:
Stem:
Cap:
Spore print:
Bruising:

This survey may span the course of a few years as I have time to go, but I am up to the challenge.  I would like to know what else I could detail?  I would like to do it right, you know?  Any useful tips that you would suggest for my journey?

I would especially like to explore an area known as Rodman's Hollow:

Thanks all, wish me luck, and happy hunting,

mycomancer

OK back from my trip.  I started to try and id these, but i couldn't seem to find my Audubon field guide in my belongings.  There's still a bit to unpack, just hope I didn't leave it at the Inn on the island! Thanks in advance for your input :smile:  Here are my first finds:

Specimen 1
June 19th, 2009

Habitat: Grass, near road
Stipe: Straight, vertical lines, orange to orange brown, 40mm
Base: Even, solid
Spore Print: Pale orange to orange brown
Bruising: None
Cap: Orange-orange brown-like rust, 14mm, moist/viscid, conical to bell shaped
Location: The lawn of the Inn at Block Island, Block Island, Rhode Island
Scent: None
Habit: Singular
Notes:This tiny orangish mushroom was discovered growing in singularity at the grassy entrance to the Inn we were staying at.

Specimen 2
June 19th, 2009

Habitat: Grass, lawn
Stipe: Pale/buff, thin/fragile, 55mm
Base: Even, solid
Spore Print: Blackish
Cap: Acorn brown, 20mm, becoming dark brown and crackle with age, conical to bell shaped
Location: The lawn of the Inn at Block Island, Block Island, Rhode Island
Habit: Singular and small clusters
Notes: The second find of the day.  Seems to be a common lawn mushroom, probably Panaeolus foenisecii.

Specimen 3
June 20th, 2009

Habitat: Injury site on tree in woods
Gills:  Pure white pores
Stipe: N/A; polypore
Base: Shelf direct to tree
Spore Print: No usable print
Bruising: Smoky gray to black on pore surface
Cap: Layered concentric grays, 125mm x 85mm
Scent: Strong mushroomy
Habit: Singular
Notes:  Included a leaf of the tree (which is visible in the pics) Perhaps an Artist's Conk?

Specimen 4
June 20th, 2009

Habitat: Grass, lawn
Gills:  Beige, close, brownish
Stipe: Beige, hollow, 70mm
Base: Even
Spore Print:Beigey, hints of yellow or orange, like wet sand
Cap: Convex, beige, 30mm
Habit: Scattered
Notes: Potential member of Conocybe?

Edited by Mycomancer (06/24/09 12:40 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Going to hunt/id on Block Island [Re: Mycomancer]
    #10533129 - 06/18/09 09:25 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

2. It has several species from other kingdoms that only exist on the island, such as amphibians and insects,.  I wonder then if unique species of fungi exists there also.

Yes, probably.

I recommend posting all your finds on http://mushroomobserver.org

That way other scientists can help you with your research and it will always be organized and easy to pull up from any computer.  You can create a species list for the species on block island to make it easy to list what you have found.

You will want to dry your specimens so you can check them out with a microscope later if further analysis is required.

Once you upload a picture to mushroomobserver.org you can right click on it, select copy image location, then paste that URL into a shroomery post between [img] tags.  This way you'll be able to only upload your photos once and also have a thread for your block island finds.

InvisibleHerbBaker
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Going to hunt/id on Block Island [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #10533149 - 06/18/09 09:28 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Great idea, i cant wait to see what you find!

InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

Re: Going to hunt/id on Block Island [Re: Mycomancer]
    #10550290 - 06/21/09 09:38 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Hey there, just returned from my weekend on Block Island.  I have collected and datafied  4 species, 3 lawn mushrooms and on forest polypore from Rodman's Hollow. It was an excellent trip and I have a good feeling that many more await my visit in the fall.  I will try t post data and pics sometime tomorrow :smile:  Let me tell you, the room I was staying in wasn't exactly built for this type of field work.  There was no table and the room was small, I had two of the find printing next to the tv, and two printing in the drawers! The polypore didn't produce any usable print though. I have learned a lot from this experience, and will have improved methods for next trip.  For example, an in depth spreadsheet to help with information gathering. 

Alan, thanks for the suggestions I am going to setup that account, and warriorsoul, thanks for you enthusiasm :cool:

mycomancer

Edited by Mycomancer (06/21/09 09:58 PM)

InvisibleMycomancer
Psi Cubed
 User Gallery

Re: Back from Block Island, id and confirmation requests [Re: Mycomancer]
    #10556736 - 06/22/09 10:27 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Added my finds from the trip to the original post.  Thanks for any input!

mycomancer

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies