Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePsylosybin
Hunter/Gatherer
Male

Loc: SW FL
Found my first SW FL actives! Lots of nature pics
    #10493322 - 06/12/09 09:23 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I have put a lot of time and effort into hiking and hunting a gigantic cattle ranch in SW FL over the last month. Initially, it was purely to find the cattle, so that in turn I could find the patties. It turns out most of the 400 head (spoke with the rancher) reside in the southern most part of the vast ranch. However, there are old patties in the northern most field which is most accessible from my complex via biking then hiking. All of these actives were found growing from quite old patties, some completely depressed and absorbed into the earth to the point where the mushroom appears to be growing out of the grass with no pattie around or underneath. I have learned everything I know about identification of these active species through extensive research on this website and I would like to say thank you very much for the great site. Here is my first successful hunt report post!

Walking into the FL ranch...feels like I am walking through the Triassic period for this north country boy

Paths within the fields

Cattle Ranch pastureland

First cube find! Found in SW FL on tues june 9th

Another same day find

Pan sp. in the setting southern sun
(lots of these out there, not pan ants and no blueing)

Another interesting sp. that is abundant on the old patties

Some kind of smallish, orange gilled species that does not grow from dung

The Kahuna!! Found yesterday, same field, June 11th

Above giant...the biggest I have found out of ~20 cubes in the two hunts

Not the best picture, but this is the total haul from yesterday. 13 cubes of varying sizes, and although you can't see very well, there are 10 blue meanies along the bottom/bottom left of the foil. Insanely bluing stems, all jet black spore prints. LOVE IT!!! :crazy2:

A beautiful orange flower, have also found them in a lilac purpleish color as well

A doe, fawn, and nice 8 pointer I was able to get close to for a full zoom pic. The buck is on the right, if you look closely you will see his antlers. As a hunter of more things than just mushrooms, this sighting stirred my heart almost as much as each active find.

Hope you enjoyed my photo essay. There will be more to come! :dancer:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblepanaeolus
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: º¶¥–¢¶
Re: Found my first SW FL actives! Lots of nature pics [Re: Psylosybin]
    #10493374 - 06/12/09 09:38 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

that place looks fun.  nice cubes  :congrats:

--------------------
øª¶•†ƒ¨√©µƒ∂´

Offlineshroomgatherer
Connoisseur of the finer things
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
    #10493416 - 06/12/09 09:50 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Psylosybin,

Great looking ranch area there:thumbup:  Nice to see those chunky cubes and I love seeing the whitetails or other animal species as well.

Awesome pictures by the way.

Keep photo essaying your hikes!!

Mush love,
SG

--------------------
"Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."

InvisibleMUSH HEAD420
Kush Commander
Male User Gallery

Re: Found my first SW FL actives! Lots of nature pics [Re: shroomgatherer]
    #10493432 - 06/12/09 09:53 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Nice hunt and congrats .....:thumbup:

OfflinePsylosybin
Hunter/Gatherer
Male

Re: Found my first SW FL actives! Lots of nature pics [Re: MUSH HEAD420]
    #10519534 - 06/16/09 08:28 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

They are potent!! Bio-assayed 3 small caps fresh and weeeeeeeeeee level 2-2.5  :laugh:

Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Loc: mexicoelcentrodelconocimi...
Trusted Identifier
    #10519554 - 06/16/09 08:31 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

nice finds

--------------------

cuando una rafaga del pensamiento nos pasa  al lado se puede sentir  que valio  la pena  haber vivido, y cuando ese pensamiento se  convierte en sueño no paramos de soñar hasta realizarlo

InvisibleBlazer420
ŦøжїϿ ÐȐȜȧƜƐȓ

Re: Found my first SW FL actives! Lots of nature pics [Re: cactu]
    #10519588 - 06/16/09 08:37 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

awesome pictures man.. cant wait 2 go out padock hunting myself..

--------------------
~ I used to get high on life, until I realized life was cut with morons ~
* You need 2 wake up and smell the music! *
- We are all computer data in a materialistic world -
| Sometimes you have to lose yourself, to find anything |

OfflineManNamedGray
Gunslinger
Male

Re: Found my first SW FL actives! Lots of nature pics [Re: Blazer420]
    #10521723 - 06/17/09 04:04 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

SW FL here. Great finds man! I haven't made it out to the fields in some time, but I see from your pictures their out there, and flourishing. Congrats and good like next time aswell!

OfflineFujiFlame
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Found my first SW FL actives! Lots of nature pics [Re: ManNamedGray]
    #10522488 - 06/17/09 08:14 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Great pics bro, that field looks awesome.  Love the big find too.  No greater feeling than finding a shroom in your path :smile: :mushroom2:

OfflinePsylosybin
Hunter/Gatherer
Male

Re: Found my first SW FL actives! Lots of nature pics [Re: FujiFlame]
    #10530440 - 06/18/09 01:46 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Went out to the cattle ranch yesterday and criss-crossed all the good areas and not a single sign of mushrooms whatsoever anywhere. It was so damn bone dry the patties cracked with saddening crunchy sounds. I can't even believe that an inch or two of rain will resurrect them but I'm sure it would. I'm surprised at the resilience of the mycelium  to be able to withstand days and/or weeks of dry HOT HOT temps with little or no rain and actually stay alive, waiting for that heavy soaking rain to once again fruit.

Amazing.

Need rain bad, and a lot of it. That bit about fog at night being sufficient for mushroom growth may be true if there is trees and shade etc, but if you are hunting an open pasture you are out of luck. Rain, and rain only, seems to be dictating growth cycles of all mushrooms in my field in SW FL.

Psilo

Offlineshroomgatherer
Connoisseur of the finer things
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
    #10530581 - 06/18/09 02:14 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Did you check the treeline edges of the open field?  That is usually where you will find them with periods of no rain.

I always check 3 areas of any field when I go.  1) the open area 2) the partly shady / partly sunny areas (treelines) and 3) up under the trees.

Don't expect to always find them out in the middle of the field:tongue:

Good luck!

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10530636 - 06/18/09 02:21 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

good photos. appreciate sharing those

OfflinePsylosybin
Hunter/Gatherer
Male

Re: Found my first SW FL actives! Lots of nature pics [Re: World Spirit]
    #10543803 - 06/20/09 05:24 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Well, after getting 2.76 inches of rain in my area Thursday evening, and another .5-1" overnight last night...I went out to the cattle ranch. I breached into the big field right as first light was breaking...about 6:10AM. I criss crossed and zig zagged every area where I had found cubes the last couple trips last week and have absolutely zero to show for my efforts! I couldn't believe it. I wonder if the patties got too baked for 5 days straight of 90+ temps and no rain and the mycelium died? Is that possible? I doubt it.

I didn't even find any inactives pans, or any mushrooms whatsoever growing from the patties or the ground. I was amazed. I should mention that the trails were flooded and the field: soaked...the patties were ALL nice and soft...in a very similar state to when I found all the cubes ~10 days ago.

Possible hypothesis's include:

-Too much rain in too short a period of time and the actual mushroom itself's mycelium got too soggy and wet and conditions were TOO wet to fruit?

-Not enough rain to compensate for the dry spell of 5-6 days straight with no rain?

-Not enough time for the correct moisture levels to be achieved, therefore concluding that tomorrow should be a great time to go hunting, probably in the evening giving the field an extra 10-12 hours to grow instead of going at dawn.

Thoughts fellow shroom hunters?

Remember...unfortunately...this field has nearly zero tree cover/shade. It is all a wide open pasture with the only trees being the ones around the perimeter and they are a pine like tree and grow straight up and do not grow out.

Invisiblepanaeolus
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: º¶¥–¢¶
    #10544085 - 06/20/09 06:56 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

psylocybin said:
-Not enough time for the correct moisture levels to be achieved, therefore concluding that tomorrow should be a great time to go hunting, probably in the evening giving the field an extra 10-12 hours to grow instead of going at dawn.

the only way to know if this one is true is if you go check the field tomorrow.

I also checked some fields today and there wasn't anything

--------------------
øª¶•†ƒ¨√©µƒ∂´

Offlinepitbull813
Dr. Gonzo
Male

Loc: Gulf Coast of Fl.
Re: Found my first SW FL actives! Lots of nature pics [Re: panaeolus]
    #10544884 - 06/20/09 10:34 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I think the 2nd or 3rd day after it rains is the best time to go. As for the areas with the pine trees pay special attention to there. It seems like the cubes really love to grow under pine trees.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order