Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedurantz
Stranger
 User Gallery

HEPA filters
    #10492026 - 06/11/09 11:58 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Hey guys I'm thinking of setting up a sterile room with a hepa filter.

Now I've seen some of the web tutorials on how to make these things and it seems very expensive and time consuming.

I was wondering what the problem would be with using one of those 'air purifiers' in a small well sealed room...

Refer to this site for examples of what I'm talking about. http://www.productreview.com.au/category.php?cat_id=1076

Or even just using one of these and building a small workbench around it so that the clean air blows directly onto the workarea.

Anyways let me know.

Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
Re: HEPA filters [Re: durantz]
    #10492111 - 06/12/09 12:25 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I've got some good news and some bad news. First of all, the bad news.

A commercial HEPA filter designed for air filtration for folks with allergies, respiratory problems, etc. will do you little to no good as far as cultivating mushrooms. You'll need a laminar flow hood, which still employs a HEPA filter and a blower for sterile work. They're available on FungiPerfecti and other mycology sites starting at around $500. Alternatively, with a bit of carpentry and some math, you can build your own for a lot less.

Now for the good news.

You honestly don't need all of that. A $10 Rubbermaid tote box with arm holes cut in the front will work fine for most home mycology work. You really only need a flow hood for agar work and a few other things - and you can still usually get away with using a glove box, although with higher contamination rates. I've successfully done inoculations and G2G transfers with very minimal (almost nil) rates of contamination in my $10 Glove Box and proper sterile technique.

Offlinedurantz
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: HEPA filters [Re: Brennus]
    #10492190 - 06/12/09 12:52 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks brennus.

I'm a little uncertain on the terminology here, by a flow hood do you mean the section directly in front of the hepa filter? ie. the 'box' with the plexiglas top?
couldn't you just intergrate one of these air purifiers into the design instead of constructing sperate compartments for the blower and filter?

InvisiblePsychoKnot
omelette de fromage
Male

Loc: PNW
    #10492244 - 06/12/09 01:08 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

All it is is a box with a blower on it and one side is a hepa filter. For best results there is a certain static pressure you need but I don't know much about it

--------------------
Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offlinedurantz
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: HEPA filters [Re: PsychoKnot]
    #10492404 - 06/12/09 02:09 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

yeah I'm fully aware of the design, that's why I was thinking it would be possible to buy one of those air purifiers as a whole unit. Because basically with the flow hood you're just creating an air purifier anyway but it's a lot more bulky.

You'd create a box with 4 walls. One wall at the back, two walls on the side, and a plexiglass ceiling. At the back wall you would cut out a section the size of the outlet of the air purifier (or slightly larger) You would then line the sides of this opening with polystyrene and seal the gaps with silicone. Then you could fit the air purifier into that gap. Wouldn't this be the same principle as a traditional flow hood?

The advantage of this system would be its portability and you could easily disassemble it for storage.

I'll try drawing a diagram if you need me to explain it further.

OfflineDropScience
Stranger

Re: HEPA filters [Re: Brennus]
    #10492446 - 06/12/09 02:28 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

what I did was buy a fungiperfecti filter, buy a envirico enclosure cheap on ebay, but then upgraded the moter inside it so it would have sufficient flow. It worked out nice and I have a nice metal flowhood now :smile:

Offlinedurantz
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: HEPA filters [Re: DropScience]
    #10492460 - 06/12/09 02:34 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

OK I just drew up a design using paint so it's not so good but I'm sure you get the idea.

Offlinebrand0n
large jar mad man!!

#10492626 - 06/12/09 03:54 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

durantz said:
OK I just drew up a design using paint so it's not so good but I'm sure you get the idea.

lol.

--------------------
That did it! I am now the anti BRF CAKE! I have had enough! TO HELL WITH BRF! REAL MEN USE SEED! Go now brf younging. Get some seed. COME BACK A MAN!

Offlinedurantz
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: HEPA filters [Re: brand0n]
    #10492708 - 06/12/09 04:46 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

awww come on. It's not the best drawing but at least tell me what wrong with the idea. the drawing is not what I'm interested in.

Invisiblecyb3rtr0n
searching for truth
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10492775 - 06/12/09 05:33 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
LAGM v.2.024 Grow log

Offlinedurantz
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: HEPA filters [Re: cyb3rtr0n]
    #10492802 - 06/12/09 05:50 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

OK I understand what that means.

Now just bear with me here cos I'd like to understand this fully.

The turbulent air flow is bad because?

I just thought it wouldn't matter if the air was turbulent so long as it was clean...

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: HEPA filters [Re: cyb3rtr0n]
    #10492805 - 06/12/09 05:53 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

A LAMINAR flowhood for working in a small flow of sterile air, is not just simply a box a hepa filter and a fan. It has to produce LAMINAR flow. Otherwise it would just blow sterile turbulant air which would draw in contaminants from round about the box contaminant the sterile air.

True hepa filters are very thick, so you need a strong fan that is capable of shifting alot of air under resistance, and thats what the squirral cage, or CF fan is required for. Also in the design of a flowhood a plenum is required behind the filter to help ensure you get laminar flow.

Simplest solution if your not wanting to spend the time and money to build one is to go with still air box.

This is mine, nothing fancy, looks like shit but works. Out of 17 jars and 1 liquid culture. I have 1 jar that could be contaminated.

Those home air purifiers have silly paper filters with a small fan behind it designed to remove dust and allergen particles.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlinedurantz
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: HEPA filters [Re: veda_sticks]
    #10492820 - 06/12/09 06:01 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

OK so even those air purifiers that claim to have HEPA filters are no good?

I guess I'll just have to go for the still air box then... :frown:

damn.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #10492844 - 06/12/09 06:14 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

You cant possibly acheive 99.99% filtration from those silly thin paper filters. but its not just that, its the turbulant airflow that it creates which just blows and draws contaminants around it into the air flow.

They wont remove everything in the air either.

Glovebox's aint that bad. If its big enough and easy to see through, there pretty good.

I have no problem working with a print some syringes, and jars quite confortably.

You just have to be organised with everything inside.

The most important thing is getting the holes in the right place. Getting them in the wrong place will make it awkward

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag