Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMiddlemanM

TOOL Interpretations
    #1046944 - 11/12/02 03:55 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

from the TOOL newsletter:

(LMAO)

CONTROVERSY OVER LATERALUS NOMINATION FOR TEC AWARD

It seems that even the recent nomination of Tool's 'Lateralus' for a TEC (Technical Excellence & Creativity) award has not gone without its little share of controversy. According to my source (an insider at 'Mix' Magazine which will present the 18th annual award for excellence in audio this October), there was initially some hesitation by at least one member of the 'foundation' for what he described as a subliminal message involving "the vilest kind of ceremony that was ingeniously encoded on the CD." Supposedly this barely audible message, which was detected by certain methods known to recording engineers, refers to a type of ritual cannibalism that some of the band's more occult-oriented fans believe to be the underlying theme of Lateralus. (NOTE: These same people also believe that the most carefully-guarded secret of this rite, including the correct method of dissection, is openly displayed for those with eyes to see in the Alex Grey artwork for the CD. Similarly, they point to certain tee-shirt designs put out by the band; those with incriminating names like, 'Bone-Layer', 'Skinless', and 'Nerve Endings' as further proof of this macabre banquet.) The bone of contention was that the concealed message went far beyond the average "Hail to Satan" backward-masking on photograph records that caused a minor hysteria (and subsequent witch-hunt involving lawsuits) decades ago and was believed (by Xtian fundamentalists who propagated the rumors) to be responsible for everything from teen suicides to tearing the tags off of new mattresses. Even so, as is usually the case in the entertainment industry, many of those bands targeted as part of the satanic plot exploited the negative publicity for their own personal gain (such as Led Zepplin with their song 'Stairway to Heaven').

Although rumors of subliminal messages on Lateralus have been afloat on the Net for some time, the basis for such a dreadful thing came from an article that I wrote on Tool's 'Dissectional' site over a year ago about a rite involving magical cannibalism. Ever since then the 'buzz' has been circulating among the Tool faithful and will probably continue to do so, especially with the recent publication of an interview in 'Dagobert's Revenge' magazine (www.dagobertsrevenge.com) in which Danny Carey is quoted as saying " If people want to know something about the album title they should contemplate possible correlation's between the thalamus (Gr. for chamber) and the femur."

Despite this cryptic allusion to some kind of major arcanum, I can state with absolute certainty that there are no such intentional subliminal messages (with regards to magical cannibalism) on Lateralus. However, in light of the recent controversy, I can, perhaps, give you the skinny (pun intended) on the occult ceremony as I understand it to be.

Far from a gory 'Night of the Living Dead' type of feast, the rite itself is of an alchemical nature * involving certain residues of hormonal cascades and/or mysterious substances similar in composition to the Orbitally Rearranged Monatomic Elements (ORMEs) proposed several years ago by David Hudson. The first involves 'The Prismatic or Golden Tear of the Eye of Horus' (i.e. special secretions from the pineal-pituitary hypothalamic complex as illustrated by Tool's 'burning eye' design), with the latter having to do with noble metals (alchemically altered) that have mined themselves into the skull and bone structure of certain individuals. With this in mind, consider the legendary mines of King Solomon. As you can see, both their secret location, and their rich deposits now take on a whole new meaning.

* This will be one of the subjects dealt with in a book that I am about to publish in a very limited run - that is if my proof-reader will get off of her exquisite (nay, manniferous) ass and send me back the corrected sheets. Three weeks and all I've been told is that I repeatedly spelled the word 'lavender' wrong. As it turned out, she was mistaken - I had spelled it correctly. Now I don't want you to think that this girl's best qualifications are those that fit well into a pair of jeans. The girl is smart enough, although on occasions, mainly little squabbles on the phone, she as the tendency to bring checkers to a chess match.

Symbolism of a deeply-esoteric nature has often been misunderstood by the uninitiated. For example, when Aleister Crowley claimed in 'Magick in Theory and Practice' that he sacrificed over two-thousand children of perfect innocence (150 a year between 1912-1928), many of his Victorian detractors took it quite literally. How these Brits could have any faith in Scotland Yard after 2,400 children were sacrificed by a single individual without an arrest or even a slap on the wrist is something I'll never understand! Obviously these people were totally ignorant of the Great Beast's erotomagical explorations. What is even more incredible is that even today there are numerous postings on the Internet by people who still think the purple priest actually sacrificed thousands of children, and that there are others out there who are now following in his footsteps. If you don't believe me, check out 'The Search for Sarah' for just one example of this almost unbelievable stupidity.

But rather than take my word for it, let's find out how many of you out there have put down the headphones after listening to the disc and suddenly found yourself with the urge to go desecrate Merovingian catacombs? Hmmm, about two of you. That's what I thought. First of all, if the underlying theme of Lateralus did involve such an esoteric rite, any hidden nuances* would be far more cryptic than some occult mutterings perceptible at a subliminal level. Why? Simply put, because there's not enough preserved bodies on the earth of this particular genetic strain to go around . These mummified remains of 'Le Serpent Rouge' are, and always have been, reserved for an elite priesthood.

* There is, however, a barely audible message on Tool's cover of Led Zepplin's 'No Quarter.'

So, now that we've dispelled the rumors of secret messages designed to sink into the subconscious minds of its listeners, I would like to congratulate those for whom it is a very prestigious honor just to be nominated for a TEC. Especially my friend David Bottrill. This almost makes up for all those fancy Spago lunches and expensive red wines he had delivered to the studio on the band's dime. Also, I just wanted to say to David that I guess that the gong wasn't too loud after all. I have a fond memory of sitting at the mixing console while David was working on a particular track for Lateralus. After an eternity of playbacks, Danny looked up at his beleaguered producer and said "the gong definitely needs to be louder." Noticing the annoyed look on David's face, I asked if a gong could ever be too loud? "Every gong since 1973 has been too loud" he mumbled as he pushed the faders up a notch. I just hope he doesn't lose the award because Danny wanted to out bash Carl Palmer. When the winner is announced we'll post it on the site, unless, of course, a CD other than Lateralus takes the honors.

NEW TOOL CD IN JEOPARDY

Members of the band are seriously debating whether or not to record any new material in the future due to recent revelations concerning the close approach of a mysterious celestial object. The invader, which some maverick astronomers believe to be a brown dwarf (failed sun) and others the tenth planet of our solar system (ALA Sitchin's planet X which the ancient Sumerians called Nibiru), could be responsible for perturbations in the orbits of Uranus, Neptune as well as tipped over Pluto (and also puzzles regarding their moons, rings, etc.). It's existence and close approach to earth in 2003 e.a., if a reality, would have profound gravitational effects resulting in, among other things, a magnetic pole shift and/or possible earth-crust displacement. All this spells the prophesied "End Times" (and all just because someone was praying for a tidal wave). Although the band members all have underground shelters with adequate provisions to survive such a catastrophic event (for the richest bands of 2002 see 'Rolling Stone' magazine), without an audience to perform for there would be no motivation to record any new material. (NOTE: Please understand that I'm not saying Nibiru is coming. It is a bit suspicious, however, that observatories in many states are suddenly closed for "remodeling.")

Edited by soundmind (11/12/02 04:05 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: TOOL Interpretations [Re: Middleman]
    #1046961 - 11/12/02 03:58 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

People are retarded. Tool has some really stupid fans...

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
    #1046994 - 11/12/02 04:06 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

>>>The rite itself is of an alchemical nature involving certain residues of hormonal cascades and/or mysterious substances similar in composition to the Orbitally Rearranged Monatomic Elements (ORMEs) proposed several years ago by David Hudson. The first involves 'The Prismatic or Golden Tear of the Eye of Horus' (i.e. special secretions from the pineal-pituitary hypothalamic complex as illustrated by Tool's 'burning eye' design), with the latter having to do with noble metals (alchemically altered) that have mined themselves into the skull and bone structure of certain individuals. <<<

Interesting...  :crazy: 

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

#1047003 - 11/12/02 04:09 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I got to see them play Third Eye live.. Im alright with being killed by crust displacement now.

InvisibleIn(di)go
People of the sun.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cologne, Germany
Re: TOOL Interpretations [Re: Grav]
    #1047123 - 11/12/02 04:42 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

lol

oh: and immaculate, i know EXACTLY what you mean... man there were the stupidest people at the show in berlin in may... even made me want to get out of the pit... how the fuck can they listen to tool and be so retarded? they didnt even understand a word of what maynard was saying...

--------------------

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: TOOL Interpretations [Re: In(di)go]
    #1047479 - 11/12/02 06:48 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

they got beer and hot bitches to look at, dont think they ever learned to care about much else
its okay ill kick their ass in a pit anyday heheh, Tool and Meshuggah give me superhuman strength

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
Re: TOOL Interpretations [Re: Grav]
    #1047990 - 11/12/02 09:50 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I don't know about you guys, but I'm not into killing/sacraficing/eating or hurting any human beings. Even if I heard proposed to me that I should through a CD. Anyone who does is an idiot.

LONG LIVE TOOL!

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

OfflineGlacius
Lang
 User Gallery

Loc: Western Cordillera(Inverm...
    #1048145 - 11/12/02 11:28 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Well, since I started listening to tool, I have had disturbing urges that can only be associated with the worship of satan, and have brutally killed several people, and drank they're blood, in order to open my third eye, and see the invisible shadow demons that tell tool what hidden msg's to put in the'yre songs.  I have uncontrolable violent thoughts, and act them out accordingly. I see nothing but blood and murder in my dreams. Tool has opened my third eye :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:  We will all join the shadow one day. Tools msg will be understood, and satan will come and rule the world. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......EVIL THOUGHTS :laugh: :laugh:

--------------------
addicted to reason
a hollow understanding trapped me
I cannot see outside but its calling

InvisibleMiddlemanM

Re: TOOL Interpretations [Re: Glacius]
    #1048374 - 11/13/02 01:07 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

the only true Evil is Misrepresentation~Misinterpretation.

has anyone Here joined "The Collective Unconcious" (TOOL Army)

they charge $$$ to join the BB. (?)

what IS their~our purpose?

Offlinejoeshitragpicker
Home Sweet Home

Loc: Atlanta
    #1048404 - 11/13/02 01:23 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Ya blablabla i followed tool up and down the east coast,.. and they fucking suck live,...
except for their video screens heh but i fucking get the whole tool thing purdy well.... its just fucking art rock with a new face.. but hey.. heh maynrds lyrics are ok but its just same formula and mediocre guitar.. drummers pretty good he holds the whole band together ..
but hey .. u know what they saw about opinions....

--------------------

Offlinejoeshitragpicker
Home Sweet Home

Re: TOOL Interpretations [Re: joeshitragpicker]
    #1048416 - 11/13/02 01:28 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Now that i think of it, i got some funny tool stories...i was playing drums outside & this chick was like heres a pass.. I thought it was real heh (not really)heh I gotbackstage in greenville, SC with a fake all access pass from ebay.. ).. and then i got caught:( but it was fun while it lasted! heh

--------------------

OfflineGlacius
Lang
 User Gallery

#1048472 - 11/13/02 01:48 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Tool simply does not suck. They are brilliant, and only someone who cant understand them, or music for that matter would say such a think, no flame intended at all. Same formula and mediocre guitar. Thats a joke!! Do you play guitar at all?? Try and learn some tool guitar, and you will change your mind. Drummers is pretty good!!?? Pretty good!!???? Are you a drummer?? Tools drummer is one of the best drummers in the entire world. You must not understand drums at all. Learn some fuckin 46 and 2 on the drums, and then go learn a vast majority of some of the best drumming you can think of, and then you can start to judje some tool, but until you can play and understand they're music, you should not judje them, for you do not have the right.

--------------------
addicted to reason

OfflineGlacius
Lang
 User Gallery

#1048476 - 11/13/02 01:49 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Oh, you are a drummer!! Cool, I missed that part:) How long have you played??

--------------------
addicted to reason

Offlinejoeshitragpicker
Home Sweet Home

#1048526 - 11/13/02 02:20 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Ya mi drums is mi life... ha :grin:
um ya i play tribal / traditional / ethnic instuments heh.. kind of a way to kill time .. i just got my congas so now i dont have to borrow em ..hehmy friends alll play guitar,.. and ya i can play .. can i fucking rip? no.. can the guitarists from tool play better than me? oh ya 4 sure.. but i still hav ebeen around music long enough to tel what is more difficult to play and whats not... If i remember right,.. one of the first posts i ever made on shroomery was a nirvana- related thing and i said i cant really get into it cuz its soooo simple. I realized that i guess im not as open minded as i once thought .. but id rather be like this than not know anything about music I think that those blessed to play an instument all have something toi share...
so what if we get a little competitive...?heh
lol im not sure if that made anysense.. idont care heh :tongue: 

--------------------

Offlinejoeshitragpicker
Home Sweet Home

#1048544 - 11/13/02 02:28 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

hmm.. the drummer from tool the best in the world.. or even one of the best .. i  must disagree..
1st.. i like his style,..i can see that he lovess toms and he can rip up some cool shit and then hitt snare triplets..BUT at a show its alll the same songs and no chance for improvisation, so who really knows what he can just come up with off of the yop of his head? and to me heh (opinon) i think that music is its most pure, its most special at the moment that it is concieved in our mind.. its instant and beutiful and it just hits u like fucking POW heh
and you just get lost...
btw my fav. tool tune?.. hooker with a penis  :grin: 

--------------------

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

#1049985 - 11/13/02 05:28 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

i like your opinions on music, but still can't understand how you dont think Tool is a great (if not amazing) live experience..

True, they are forced to play the same songs over and over again, thats their record deal, but they improvise and fuck around with shit wherever they can. if you listen carefully you notice tons of variations in all their songs. I don't know if Adam and Danny ever play a song the same twice, and Maynard is always trying new things with his voice. They subtley let their songs evolve from the CD recordings.

I would love it if Tool just went off on improv jams for half the night, but thats not how they work.
There songs are fuckin beautiful... They are like places. Pieces of art being thrown into the air, and always growing and revealing new angles. IMO Musical purity isn't about improvisation... It's something invsible to the rational mind, that you can just feel, and of the 4 times ive seen Tool they have breathed this energy behind all their repeated riffs and measures.

I dunno, everyone is entitled to their opinion. You sound like someone who maybe is geared more towards talent than whatever the fuck it is im talking about heheh.

InvisibleIn(di)go
People of the sun.
Male User Gallery

#1050269 - 11/13/02 07:19 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

i agree that improvisation is a very powerful experience... feel the creativity just flow through you, and the energy building up between the people making the music right there, right then... but improvisation is something for the female side of the brain... and i have to say, imo, tool works mostly with the male part of the brain... very analitycal, very concrete... like grav said, every tool song is a landscape, a different place and a different feeling... its like a symphony... and you cant just take beethoven's 9th and then start telling the orquestra to improvise some stuff on it, can you? and although tools work es very mathematical, the feeling behind it just cannot be missed... the energy every song sends out to you, and the places where it makes you go, is just unbelievable... tool is one of the greatest bands, imho...
and im a drummer, too... and well, for me danny carey is the best drummer on this planet... although i know there are faster, and more talented drummers (take mike portnoy, for instance), none of them has been able (in my eyes) to put through the energy danny carey gives me... i think that a drummer is good when you walk into a place and hear someone playing (just drums) and you can tell from their style who it is... danny is one of the few drummers i can think of that could be regognized that way...

--------------------

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto Canada
    #1050332 - 11/13/02 07:45 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Tool makes my body move, nothing else i've ever heard in my life does that, me being exposed to music cerebrally for most of my life. The first time i listened to Lateralus (on shrooms) i just stood there and rocked back and forth with my headphones on for 5 or 6 solid hours non stop....

Improvisation and technical prowess are definitely musical elements not to be despised, if i want to hear some serious shredding i'll listen to Yngwie Malmsteen or John Mclaughlin.amo.....

Even without playing the drums, i could FEEL the drummer of Tool kicking some major league ass......i was pm'ing a coupla people here during the  Experience ..... maybe i'll work up the nerve to post my live "real time review".......

That drummer(again, i have already disqualified myself on one level because i don't/can not play drums, i DO play a bit of guitar) hits HARD, total body shots but it FEELS so phreaking good! i used to listen to guys like Tony Williams, Billy Cobham, Jack dejohnette etc so i "think" i have an OK ear for what constitutes  a few of the element of being a technically proficient drummer........i like Neal Peart of rush in the "rock" world as well as Bill bruford........

As far as Adam goes, imo, he's more about texture and nuance that blindingly fast licks/chops...he fits.... and has a GR8 hand in the production of Tool's videos....

As far as Maynard goes, i think at his peak he comes up with some of the most inspirational lyrics around, admittedly i have no real frame of reference as i have litle/no contact with the "real" world........i don't idolatrize(huh? lol) the guy however and maybe in that light my opinion might actually mean something outside the spectre of my own warped dementure......

it isn't just the drummer(as much as he DOES kick the collective A$$ of that band imo), the way they inter connect, the bass and drums on Lateralus especially.....i love the FEEL/sound of the bass/drums tandem a lot more on Lateralus that i did on Anemia.......

Arena rock? you know, i CAN actualy see grounds for that statement, i don't really share that particular sentiment but i can at least appreciate it lol.....i mean in 6 months i may be saying the same thing and into an entirely different musical tangent...... sorry for my diffuse randumb mental abstractions..... :grin: 

--------------------
"Being crazier than a shithouse rat is not sufficient grounds for banishment"

InvisibleIn(di)go
People of the sun.
Male User Gallery

Re: TOOL Interpretations [Re: FreakQlibrium]
    #1050342 - 11/13/02 07:52 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

why are you excusing yourself, freak? thanks for sharing your thoughts man! im glad you make your way into the s&p&s forum so often lately... i really appreciate the ideas and thoughts you share... and i like your view on things... i remember a post of yours asking how could someone be so sure/convinced about stuff like so many people in here... you were impressed by the determination of most of the s&p&s'ers... well i have to say that i am impressed by your open mind... which is one of the greatest journeys...

--------------------

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto Canada
Re: TOOL Interpretations [Re: In(di)go]
    #1050384 - 11/13/02 08:06 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

im glad you make your way into the s&p&s forum so often lately...

Thanks man, it just feels so RIGHT just now....lol, yeah i was kinda intimidated to even BE here let alone post due mainly to a lack of "formal" edumacation.......i really enjoy Mice-elf here though........no middle ground for me dude, it's either S & P or OTD! lol :wink: listening to Parabola cranked! on headphones right now so i guess in a way it was the NRG of the moment coursing though my veins/heart/brain that resulted in that spastic rambling montage of verbiage that WAS my last post  :grin:

a Public acknowledgement of gratitude to everyone here........yes, EVERYONE :wink: for making my time here at the shroomery so damned fine....Freak loves all of you.....in a very heterosexual way :smile: 

--------------------
"Being crazier than a shithouse rat is not sufficient grounds for banishment"

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck