Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineistandalone
the clit commander
Male

Loc: somewhere in southern VT
pf cakes, blueish-greenish colored spots. bruising or contams?
    #10460876 - 06/06/09 12:37 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

hello everyone. these are pics of three of my pf tek cakes that were birthed on 5/25/09. I've been concerned about them lately, as I've still got no pins after 17 days in the shotgun terr and now I've got these blueish spots that I'm not sure about whether the spots are just bruising or if they've got contamed. what do you guys think?

--------------------
Now he's Johnny Hammersticks hammerin' away like he's friggin' Tommy Noble

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinegarfixas
Your Friend

Folding@home Statistics
Re: pf cakes, blueish-greenish colored spots. bruising or contams? [Re: istandalone]
    #10460901 - 06/06/09 12:42 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

You can try taking a q-tip and dipping it in some H2O2 and then lightly rubbing the spot with it. If it comes off still white then it is just bruising. If it comes off the color of the suspected contamination, well, the cake has been more than likely contaminated.

--------------------
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Edited by garfixas (06/06/09 12:48 PM)

Offlineistandalone
the clit commander
Male

Re: pf cakes, blueish-greenish colored spots. bruising or contams? [Re: garfixas]
    #10460922 - 06/06/09 12:47 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

OK thanks for the fast response! i'll go do that now and post back. i have a feeling these three cakes are headed for the trash though :wink:

--------------------

Offlineistandalone
the clit commander
Male

Re: pf cakes, blueish-greenish colored spots. bruising or contams? [Re: istandalone]
    #10460975 - 06/06/09 12:59 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

ok. the cake in the first pic when rubbed with an h2o2 soaked q-tip left a definite green smear on the q-tip (no question it was green, unlike when i viewed the cake i couldn't tell if it was more blue or green) and the other two cakes when rubbed with a q-tip in the same manner didn't leave a green smear on the cotton....so i put those two cakes back in the main terrarium and am crossing my fingers.

i realize this is the contam forum, but does anyone have any comments on whether i should have gotten some pins yet?

--------------------

OfflineABC
Stranger
 User Gallery

#10461597 - 06/06/09 03:05 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Q tip test is bunk. Sometimes bruising will come off onto the swab as well.

You have definite green mold in that last picture. the others might break out soon; the mycelium sticking out looks like trichoderma mycelium.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: pf cakes, blueish-greenish colored spots. bruising or contams? [Re: ABC]
    #10463028 - 06/06/09 08:09 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

the first picture looks more like bruising than mould, the last picture looks like mould.

Ive said it many times and ill say it again

Bruising is the colour of mycelium itself , like a bruise on your arm.

Mold is like coloured sand ontop of the mycelium.

The q-tip isnt and accurate method as bruising has shown to sometimes transfer. Probably from moisture soaking up the oxidised actives.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlineistandalone
the clit commander
Male

Re: pf cakes, blueish-greenish colored spots. bruising or contams? [Re: veda_sticks]
    #10464557 - 06/07/09 05:27 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

either way, whether the qtip test is bunk or not i threw away the cakes in the first and last picture. also as sort of a control test, i took one of my last cakes that were still in the jar and made a poor mans terrarium, without dunking and rolling. the reason for doing this is because all my other cakes won't pin, and i want to see if maybe it's an environmental issue, so this cake is separated from the rest and in it's own terr.

--------------------

Offlineistandalone
the clit commander
Male

#10465882 - 06/07/09 01:16 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I, finally, have one pin! yea i know, just one, barely enough to even speak of but hell I'm very very excited!
It's kinda funny looking too, like so far it's way fatter at the stem then at the cap but I'm just glad to finally have something (even if it's just one lol) to show for after all this waiting.

--------------------

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #10466911 - 06/07/09 05:19 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

how much light and FAE are they getting/

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlineistandalone
the clit commander
Male

Re: pf cakes, blueish-greenish colored spots. bruising or contams? [Re: veda_sticks]
    #10467648 - 06/07/09 07:45 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I've got two cfl's on them about 18" above them. i think they're 23w, one is 5500k and the other is 3000k. i fan them about 5 times a day and mist every other time.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #10468421 - 06/07/09 10:43 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

The q-tip test is bunk for the ten thousandth time.  Why it keeps getting repeated, I'll never know.

The first cake was bruised.  You tossed out a good cake.  The second deserves watching, and the third is definitely contaminated with trich.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineistandalone
the clit commander
Male

Re: pf cakes, blueish-greenish colored spots. bruising or contams? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #10469425 - 06/08/09 04:30 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

yea rr i figured that out after veda posted it. but thanks for reiterating it for me.
and from now on, when I'm in doubt about a contam it's getting tossed anyway. better safe then sorry, and better safe then the rest of my cakes getting hosed.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #10470225 - 06/08/09 10:58 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

It's really easy to tell mold from bruising.  Bruising looks like you spilled blue or green ink on the substrate and it soaked in.  Mold looks like you spilled green sand on the substrate and it's sitting just above the surface.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
Re: pf cakes, blueish-greenish colored spots. bruising or contams? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #10470595 - 06/08/09 12:13 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Here's some pics of green mold for reference.

Hope that helps.

--------------------
Spongiform's Plastic Tek - An Alternative to Glass
Spongi's PF Block Tek & Automated Shotgun Project.

Offlineistandalone
the clit commander
Male

Re: pf cakes, blueish-greenish colored spots. bruising or contams? [Re: Spongiform]
    #10470746 - 06/08/09 12:35 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

spongiform, that helps a LOT.
RR's tip will help too for future reference.
also like a stated before the cakes in the first and third pic got tossed in the trash, but i guess if i had waited I'd have known not to toss out the cake in the third pic...as that one did in fact look like greenish bluish (more green though?) ink got spilled and soaked into it. oh well, live and learn. more learning though as this is my first attempt.
thanks again everyone for the help.

--------------------

OfflineLittleb2020
AnoymousSnowflake
 User Gallery

Loc: far west usa Flag
    #19585926 - 02/18/14 04:14 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Check this trick Take a picture of your contam/brusing if you zoom way into the image you will be left with an unrecognizable blur of pixles zoom into the contam if its green mold the computer will recognize it as forest green and you will notice not one of the pixles will show any blue at all just forms of green then do the same thing with a pic of questionable brusing mycelium it will not show any pixles that are green just differnt forms of blue.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate