Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSynesthetic
Ratings go in journal.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Tooele, UT
Mental disorders are NOT bullshit!
    #10457632 - 06/05/09 12:01 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Okay, I'm really sick of people saying that mental disorders, especially mood disorders (Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Panic Attack Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder, Dysthymia, Bipolar Disorder, Attention Deficit [Hyperactive] Disorder and sometimes Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder) are any of the following.

1) Scams to make pharmaceutical companies and psychotherapists money
2) Products of a weak will or an ability to "relax and enjoy life"
3) Cries for attention

1) Yes, in the United States, where there is a surplus of both psychiatrists who need to fatten their wallets, lazy doctors who would rather write a prescription than send them to a psychotherapist or encourage family members to be supportive, and pharmaceutical corporations who scam sick people out of their money.

However, this does NOT mean that the above disorders don't exist. Yes, it's true that many of them (especially ADHD, Depression, and Anxiety) are misdiagnosed and some doctors treat patients for them even though there isn't a formal diagnosis. It's sad and it IS a scam, but some people in the world DO have real mood disorders. The rip-off part of it is a product of our capitalistic society. It's not some grand conspiracy to medicate the masses.

2) and 3) If someone who has a mood disorder COULD overcome it...THEY WOULD! It's not fun! Even though it's been about 50 years since anyone who was "mentally ill" was shunned from society, there's still a huge stigma surrounding mental illness. I've been struggling with anxiety for 4 years now, and depression all my life. Know how much sympathy I've gotten from it? Not fucking much, except from people who are acquainted with psychology. My own family called me weak and crushed me when I told them I thought something was wrong with me. I practically had to beg to go to my first therapy session, even though my parents had found out that I was cutting myself multiple times daily.

I didn't want attention. I was ashamed because I was raised, like everyone else, to think that depression and anxiety were just a part of the human experience and that anyone who lets it get to them is weak-willed or looking for attention. Thanks to that, I let my depression spiral so far out of control that I nearly killed myself before my psychology teacher, to whom I am eternally grateful, helped me get to therapy and overcome enough of my issues that I was able to function until just recently.

Let me tell you how it is living with an anxiety disorder and depression.

On the anxiety side, I sometimes get so crippled by it that I can't do anything but sit in my room and hope no one tries to talk to me. When I go out in public, if I feel at all like people are noticing me, my heart starts to race. I start sweating. I can hear my heart pounding in my ears, and all I can think about is getting the FUCK away from EVERYBODY. Once this happened, I'm fucked for the rest of the day. The worst scenario to every situation keeps playing in my head and I can't fucking stop it. I'll try to close my eyes, take a few breaths, and tell myself everything's okay, but some part of me is too stupid to listen. Unless I HAVE to be around people I don't know, 9 times out of 10, I'll just run away. I'll go outside and find some dark corner where no one will notice me and wait until my body and mind calm down.

It's not fun. I don't like it. I don't like telling people how bad it is, and most people wouldn't notice because all of this is happening inside me. I hate every second of it, but there's nothing I can do but hope it doesn't last long because I've tried everything, but so far the only things that have calmed it down are xanax and heroin.

On the depression side, my self-esteem is so low that even though I know I'm a gifted writer, I rarely get in the mood to write. Not because I'm not motivated, but because even my "best" works sound so stupid when I'm writing them that I feel like a child trying to write a story.

When I wake up in the morning, it takes me an hour or more to get out of bed on my own because I have no desire to do anything but sleep, even though I'm always thinking such horrible thoughts about myself that I either have to be drugged up or have been awake for over 20 hours to fall asleep. Lately, a lot of days, I sit in my room alone and either push all emotions out of my mind and live inside my head (so to speak), or break down and cry like a 12 year old girl.

And you know what? My life is fine. I have everything I need. Yeah, my father's a drunken ass, my sister is a 12-year-old Godless Heathen who's already doing drugs and hanging out with high school boys, and my mom is such an alcoholic that she can't cope with reality unless she chugs a pint of vodka on her way home from work. I miss having both my parents at once like I did growing up, but I have a roof over my head. I have all the food I want (though I only eat about once a day...), and as long as I keep going to university, I don't have any responsibilities except maintaining the house.

So why do I hurt so bad? I don't know. I wish I did, because I'm fed up with it. I want to grab life by the horns, but I just can't fucking do it. So, I finally got over my pride and went back to therapy. Tomorrow will be my second appointment, but I already know that with Dr. McWhorter's help, I can beat this thing.

One thing I don't need, though, is a bunch of assholes telling me that it's either my fault I'm depressed or that I've been conned. I haven't. I'm sick and need help.

I'm sorry to be so blunt about this, but I'm fed up with it. You people who say these things so nonchalantly have no idea what damage you could be doing to someone.

If you think it's all a scam or that me and other people like me are weak or just need to relax or whatever, fine. But don't be a dick about it. Help us.

Chew on this for a minute. One day, someone you know may develop major depressive disorder. They'll feel hopeless and start circling the drain. They may reach out to you, hoping to grab on to something, to find some support. What'll you do? You'll tell them to get over it. "Stop being such a baby. Life is fucked up. Deal with it."

A week later, you just might find yourself dressed in your finest suit, going to a funeral for someone who just wanted to know that life wasn't shit, and that they had something to live for.

-----------

I'm sorry I'm so angry, but please, just be nice to people who might have a mental disorder. Just remember that if they could be better on their own, they would be. No one who really has one of these disorders chose to have it. It's what they got dealt in life, and if you have any shred of compassion inside you, you'll offer your love and support instead of ranting about pharmaceutical companies and the health care machine or telling them it's all their fault.

Love,
Jake

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinex2and2makes5
Fool on a hill
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PA
Re: Mental disorders are NOT bullshit! [Re: Synesthetic]
    #10457652 - 06/05/09 12:06 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

:thumbup:

Agreed, my friend.  People who claim such have really no idea what they're talking about.

--------------------
Try to realise it's all within yourself
no one else can make you change
And to see you're really only very small
and life flows on within you and without you

MUST HAVE MUSIC
1  2

Shroomery Music Exchange

InvisibleantiPock
fighting entropy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sol 3
Re: Mental disorders are NOT bullshit! [Re: x2and2makes5]
    #10457712 - 06/05/09 12:25 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I agree, and I too have seen friends go down to crippling schizophrenia, extreme OCD and other disorders. It is very scary to watch when you can do little more than support them but not fix the actual problem.

That being said, I also believe there is a more than a grain of truth in the anti-psyche-drug refrain, though I disagree with the black and white approach espoused by Tom Cruise e.g.. I DO think we are over medicated in the US. In some (many) cases common depression can be better handled by means other than drugs. Most kids don't need drugs for ADD. etc.

There is a cultural sickness behind much of this IMO, and the expectation that a pill is an easy fix to cure some deficiency when in fact better diet, more excercise etc.would be a better long run solution. I have had doctors try to put me on brain meds, fucking GPs!

As I said though I will never dismiss true mental illness but drugs should be a last, not first resort in borderline cases like situational depression and unruly kids.

OfflineSynesthetic
Ratings go in journal.
Male User Gallery

Re: Mental disorders are NOT bullshit! [Re: antiPock]
    #10457792 - 06/05/09 12:49 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I agree that drugs should be reserved until a formal diagnosis is made. There's a tightrope to walk, though, because in some cases people can't wait for a diagnosis. For example, someone with panic attack disorder can have a panic attack while operating heavy machinery or driving and cause some serious harm, or even commit suicide while having an attack. That's why a drug like xanax (when used properly) is so great. It's not supposed to be something you take every day, but when you're feeling the onset of an attack.

Plus, some mental disorders (like severe OCD, schizophrenia, or severe cases of bipolar disorder/borderline personality disorder (borderline is like bipolar on steroids. Bipolar people go through highs and lows that last for days, weeks, even months at a time, but someone with borderline personality disorder can shift several times a day) can't be treated without drugs. Sure, therapy could get someone with OCD to the point that they can cope with it, and in rare cases find the root of the problem and fix it, but merely working your life around a mental illness can be just as debilitating as the illness itself. I've learned to work around my anxiety but because of it I have very few friends and rarely go out in public. It's no way to live, man.

InvisibleantiPock
fighting entropy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sol 3
    #10457831 - 06/05/09 01:02 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I certainly agree that for some, these drugs are a godsend and we are lucky to have such tools. The crux of the problem though is that the overpresciption syndrome obscures the real benefits of the tools (drugs) for the geniune cases with a flood of hasty attempts at diagnostics and remediation. I honestly believe the majority of individuals prescribed meds for say ADD and depression, and anxiety as well, would be better served without them.

In a large doc office for example, pharma reps are through there practically every fucking day. (I don't work in one but my ex was a pharmacist/then pharma rep, and mf real gf of now 15 years is a medical assistant.) The reps give samples of shit you would never expect, and the doctors hand em out like candy on 3 minute diagnoses. Schools are advising parents to put kids on Ritalin. On and on.

Edited by antiPock (06/05/09 01:15 AM)

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
    #10457844 - 06/05/09 01:09 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Have you ever used MDMA?

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

OfflineFreedomForAll
One Step Ahead
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mental disorders are NOT bullshit! [Re: Poid]
    #10457850 - 06/05/09 01:12 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Where did this come from? People may have a basis for saying this, such as as the result of certain drug use because the symptoms are only (usually) temporary. However, I fully believe in what you mean, these disorders ARE real and I'm not naive enough to think otherwise.

OfflineSynesthetic
Ratings go in journal.
Male User Gallery

Re: Mental disorders are NOT bullshit! [Re: Poid]
    #10457860 - 06/05/09 01:17 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
Have you ever used MDMA?

Yeah. I was really depressed and since MDMA makes you so happy it seemed like a great idea. Plus, just recently, I had a therapeutic roll where I really opened myself up to someone. Turns out she got freaked out about it and turned into a bitch but hey, I got a good look at what was bothering me.

Offlinedoyoutrip
Marijuana Enthusiast
Male

Loc: Sunny D
    #10457870 - 06/05/09 01:23 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

who the fuck is stupid enough to say MENTAL DISFUCKINORDER'S are bull shit?

obviously only someone who has never lived with/known a person close to them with an

actual disorder would say some ignorant shit like that

--------------------
"Going about niiinneettyy
On the freeway choking
Ain't no mystery to the weed we smokin'"

"Started from weed, big smoke outs before you could exhale, blunt in your mouth"

:potleaf::getstoned::potleaf:

Edited by doyoutrip (06/05/09 01:28 AM)

Invisiblepong
kretan
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: west coast
    #10457883 - 06/05/09 01:26 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Synesthetic said:
Okay, I'm really sick of people saying that mental disorders, especially mood disorders (Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Panic Attack Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder, Dysthymia, Bipolar Disorder, Attention Deficit [Hyperactive] Disorder and sometimes Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder) are any of the following.

1) Scams to make pharmaceutical companies and psychotherapists money
2) Products of a weak will or an ability to "relax and enjoy life"
3) Cries for attention

1) Yes, in the United States, where there is a surplus of both psychiatrists who need to fatten their wallets, lazy doctors who would rather write a prescription than send them to a psychotherapist or encourage family members to be supportive, and pharmaceutical corporations who scam sick people out of their money.

However, this does NOT mean that the above disorders don't exist. Yes, it's true that many of them (especially ADHD, Depression, and Anxiety) are misdiagnosed and some doctors treat patients for them even though there isn't a formal diagnosis. It's sad and it IS a scam, but some people in the world DO have real mood disorders. The rip-off part of it is a product of our capitalistic society. It's not some grand conspiracy to medicate the masses.

2) and 3) If someone who has a mood disorder COULD overcome it...THEY WOULD! It's not fun! Even though it's been about 50 years since anyone who was "mentally ill" was shunned from society, there's still a huge stigma surrounding mental illness. I've been struggling with anxiety for 4 years now, and depression all my life. Know how much sympathy I've gotten from it? Not fucking much, except from people who are acquainted with psychology. My own family called me weak and crushed me when I told them I thought something was wrong with me. I practically had to beg to go to my first therapy session, even though my parents had found out that I was cutting myself multiple times daily.

I didn't want attention. I was ashamed because I was raised, like everyone else, to think that depression and anxiety were just a part of the human experience and that anyone who lets it get to them is weak-willed or looking for attention. Thanks to that, I let my depression spiral so far out of control that I nearly killed myself before my psychology teacher, to whom I am eternally grateful, helped me get to therapy and overcome enough of my issues that I was able to function until just recently.

Let me tell you how it is living with an anxiety disorder and depression.

On the anxiety side, I sometimes get so crippled by it that I can't do anything but sit in my room and hope no one tries to talk to me. When I go out in public, if I feel at all like people are noticing me, my heart starts to race. I start sweating. I can hear my heart pounding in my ears, and all I can think about is getting the FUCK away from EVERYBODY. Once this happened, I'm fucked for the rest of the day. The worst scenario to every situation keeps playing in my head and I can't fucking stop it. I'll try to close my eyes, take a few breaths, and tell myself everything's okay, but some part of me is too stupid to listen. Unless I HAVE to be around people I don't know, 9 times out of 10, I'll just run away. I'll go outside and find some dark corner where no one will notice me and wait until my body and mind calm down.

It's not fun. I don't like it. I don't like telling people how bad it is, and most people wouldn't notice because all of this is happening inside me. I hate every second of it, but there's nothing I can do but hope it doesn't last long because I've tried everything, but so far the only things that have calmed it down are xanax and heroin.

On the depression side, my self-esteem is so low that even though I know I'm a gifted writer, I rarely get in the mood to write. Not because I'm not motivated, but because even my "best" works sound so stupid when I'm writing them that I feel like a child trying to write a story.

When I wake up in the morning, it takes me an hour or more to get out of bed on my own because I have no desire to do anything but sleep, even though I'm always thinking such horrible thoughts about myself that I either have to be drugged up or have been awake for over 20 hours to fall asleep. Lately, a lot of days, I sit in my room alone and either push all emotions out of my mind and live inside my head (so to speak), or break down and cry like a 12 year old girl.

And you know what? My life is fine. I have everything I need. Yeah, my father's a drunken ass, my sister is a 12-year-old Godless Heathen who's already doing drugs and hanging out with high school boys, and my mom is such an alcoholic that she can't cope with reality unless she chugs a pint of vodka on her way home from work. I miss having both my parents at once like I did growing up, but I have a roof over my head. I have all the food I want (though I only eat about once a day...), and as long as I keep going to university, I don't have any responsibilities except maintaining the house.

So why do I hurt so bad? I don't know. I wish I did, because I'm fed up with it. I want to grab life by the horns, but I just can't fucking do it. So, I finally got over my pride and went back to therapy. Tomorrow will be my second appointment, but I already know that with Dr. McWhorter's help, I can beat this thing.

One thing I don't need, though, is a bunch of assholes telling me that it's either my fault I'm depressed or that I've been conned. I haven't. I'm sick and need help.

I'm sorry to be so blunt about this, but I'm fed up with it. You people who say these things so nonchalantly have no idea what damage you could be doing to someone.

If you think it's all a scam or that me and other people like me are weak or just need to relax or whatever, fine. But don't be a dick about it. Help us.

Chew on this for a minute. One day, someone you know may develop major depressive disorder. They'll feel hopeless and start circling the drain. They may reach out to you, hoping to grab on to something, to find some support. What'll you do? You'll tell them to get over it. "Stop being such a baby. Life is fucked up. Deal with it."

A week later, you just might find yourself dressed in your finest suit, going to a funeral for someone who just wanted to know that life wasn't shit, and that they had something to live for.

-----------

I'm sorry I'm so angry, but please, just be nice to people who might have a mental disorder. Just remember that if they could be better on their own, they would be. No one who really has one of these disorders chose to have it. It's what they got dealt in life, and if you have any shred of compassion inside you, you'll offer your love and support instead of ranting about pharmaceutical companies and the health care machine or telling them it's all their fault.

Love,
Jake

i have compassion for you

and sympathy.

but when you go ahead and call cutting your wrists evidence of a mental disorder i beg to differ.

why didnt you cut something else that hot topic doesnt sell a premade leather cover for?

i have depression too.  its not a disorder.  its a state of mind.  many people are depressed because they have not found their place in society.  have you found yours?

is sitting in your room helping that hypothetical cause?

btw if you have all said disorders why would you associate yourself with drugs at all?

shroomery is full of headcase fuckups (from what i see anyways)

why would you let yourself live inside your own head?

i know you are probably shocked by my seemingly asshole post but really you sound like you just need to go to the army or some shit and have some real problems face you.  maybe get hungry.  hunt for your food for a day.  go work in some shitty job.

then maybe you can join in and be able to call generalized anxiety and depression the joke that it really is.

the best therapy that i have ever recieved in terms of my fucked up mental states (anxiety, paranoia, depression) was being around people who are not sympathetic to this type of thing.  around people who expect a certain level of functionality out of you.

life is full of shit.  everyone should do the best for themselves and others.

dont be a little bitch.

in many peoples experience these disorders are nothing more than a simple outlook change can fix.

PS.  do you really love me?  cus if you dont love yourself first i dont really know how you could.

gaahaaahahaahaaaa

its funny

but your post seems like a suicidal cry for help.  maybe someday when my friend gets depressed he will just get the fuck over it like he should.  and i wont have a care in the world, wanna know why, cus he wouldnt have come sobbing to me anyways.

--------------------

Offlinenotapillow
I want to be a fisherman
 User Gallery

Loc: A rare and different tune
Re: Mental disorders are NOT bullshit! [Re: pong]
    #10457894 - 06/05/09 01:30 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

im sick of bad noise

whats new....

--------------------

Invisiblepong
kretan
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mental disorders are NOT bullshit! [Re: notapillow]
    #10457928 - 06/05/09 01:41 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

man im sick of so many things.  but i am definitely one to believe that these disorders are 90% made up.

since i was in middle school my parents and teachers wanted me to take therapy.  i refused.

i gave in to this notion recently (2nd year university) and proceeded to see a counselor and taking prozac. 

they diagnosed me with major and minor depression with obsessive tenancies.

this was the worst idea i have ever had in my life. 

the therapy and prozac reversed me into a mental state that i had overcome almost 2 years ago.  my anger swelled to uncontrollable levels, i was more disconnected and more convinced that there was something "wrong with me"

fuck man , i realized though that giving in to therapy is like signing up for a drug addiction.  it helps in the short run.  but in the end i felt that if i didnt take things by the balls i would loose. 

i would loose control of my own destiny and be influenced by people who view me as a person with a disorder. not a person who wants help.  I am getting help now, from certain hobbies taht i have started, and some supportive people.  but really for many people telling them they have a disorder and giving them therapy is the worst therapy possible. 

you really have to consider that when you spout off angrily supporting your side of the argument.

i agree that the

--------------------

Offlinedoyoutrip
Marijuana Enthusiast
Male

Loc: Sunny D
    #10457930 - 06/05/09 01:42 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

^^ Pong^^ hate to break it to you bud but not everyone is the same. your missing out on alot of important points he said in the post. His father and mother are alchy's and apparently his sister is slowly spiraling. Ive had a fucked up alchy for a father and my mom's a fuckin schizo. I can still proudly say that im pretty fuckin stable... but i can tell you that it really fucked up my childhood and i can still see some of it emerge in the way i still think/express myself today.

i just think its fuckin ignorant for you to tell him to stop being a little bitch and just go along with it cause everyone else is suffering too.. it sounds like all that shit that happened in his life really fucked with his head and i sympathize with him as well.

Instead of claiming "Some Mental disorders are bullshit/pussy ass cry's for help"

i think we should start agreeing that "Some Mental Disorder's are CURABLE" cause ive seen depression and anxiety actually disappear in a few people i knew with proper therapy and psych evaluations

EDIT: although i agree people are commonly misdiagnosed. Or have the mental capability to overcome the mental issues at hand w/o any outside help at all

--------------------
"Going about niiinneettyy
On the freeway choking
Ain't no mystery to the weed we smokin'"

"Started from weed, big smoke outs before you could exhale, blunt in your mouth"

:potleaf::getstoned::potleaf:

Edited by doyoutrip (06/05/09 01:53 AM)

InvisibleMysterium Fidei
Resident Alien
Male

Loc: Sonoma/Mendicino County, ...
Re: Mental disorders are NOT bullshit! [Re: doyoutrip]
    #10457953 - 06/05/09 01:50 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

i have depression too.  its not a disorder.  its a state of mind.  many people are depressed because they have not found their place in society.  have you found yours?

Shut the fuck up. You haven't the slightest clue to what real depression is if you actually believe what you just wrote.

--------------------
"Last chance to evacuate planet Earth before it is recycled".

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Mental disorders are NOT bullshit! [Re: doyoutrip] * 1
    #10457962 - 06/05/09 01:52 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I cured my severe depression myself.. after years of shrinks and medication that did nothing but make things terrible for me.
It WAS mostly just a state of mind... an addictive way of self-destructive thought patterns.
I suffered from chronic depression for over 10 years.

Not to say that some mental disorders aren't serious or real chemical imbalances.. but I think a lot of them are misdiagnosed, temporary results of life stress or other circumstances.. and don't require medication or therapy but inner digging..

--------------------

OfflineSynesthetic
Ratings go in journal.
Male User Gallery

#10457982 - 06/05/09 02:00 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

pong said:

i have compassion for you

and sympathy.

but when you go ahead and call cutting your wrists evidence of a mental disorder i beg to differ.

I didn't cut my wrists. My upper arms, my stomach and chest, and even my legs, but never my wrists. And actually it is evidence of a mental disorder. Or do you like to lock yourself in your bathroom for 20 minutes while you carve yourself up? Try it sometime. The endorphin rush is just as good as shooting up heroin (I know, I've done both). Oh, but wait, deliberately harming yourself is something that you should try to avoid, even if it does make you feel better. And when I was cutting, if the slightest thing stressed me out, I'd find the nearest bathroom and whip out my trusty razor blade to open up a few wounds. I started wearing a black zip-up hoodie because not only did it hide the cuts on my arms, but when I bled through the fabric, no one could see it. It wasn't a pathetic cry for attention. I really felt better when I cut and to this day struggle with that addiction. It really shows how sympathetic you are to my struggle when you mock me over it.

Quote:

pong said:

why didnt you cut something else that hot topic doesnt sell a premade leather cover for?

Because I'm not an emo kid who was trying to fit in with other emo kids to show off my cuts and scars. I kept it all on the inside.

Quote:

pong said:

If you function in your normal life just fine, then no it's not a disorder. I don't. Therefore, it's a fucking mental disorder. And no, I haven't found my place in society, but I do have a few friends who I get along with really well and who understand and love me just as much as I do them. That's good enough for me.

Quote:

pong said:

is sitting in your room helping that hypothetical cause?

No, but even if I drag myself out of here I feel so weak from my depression that I don't do anything anyway. At least in here I have a computer and a stereo.

Quote:

pong said:

btw if you have all said disorders why would you associate yourself with drugs at all?

Because drugs make me feel good. Why does anyone else do them, you moron?

Quote:

pong said:

shroomery is full of headcase fuckups (from what i see anyways)

Yourself included.

Quote:

pong said:

why would you let yourself live inside your own head?

Because I didn't have anyone to teach me how to cope with bad feelings. Instead, I lived my childhood inside my head and didn't deal with anything until it all hit me like a ton of bricks when I was 16. It's not healthy, and I know that, but it's the only way I know how to cope.

Quote:

pong said:

i know you are probably shocked by my seemingly asshole post but really you sound like you just need to go to the army or some shit and have some real problems face you.  maybe get hungry.  hunt for your food for a day.  go work in some shitty job.

I am shocked. Oh, and that's a great idea. Throw more shit on me that I can't cope with. Let me come back with post-traumatic stress disorder on top of my other shit. Sounds like a fucking plan.

Quote:

pong said:

then maybe you can join in and be able to call generalized anxiety and depression the joke that it really is.

You don't have the disorder, and no one who did have it would associate with an ignorant ass like yourself. So you have no frame of reference to call what I experience a joke.

Hey, asshole. The army is for pussies who would rather play with guns in the desert than actually be a contributing member of society by going to school and doing something that actually matters. They should all just shoot themselves in the foot and get sent back here so they can man up and deal with some real shit.

Oh wait that makes no sense. But that's what you sound like to me. Think about that.

Quote:

pong said:

the best therapy that i have ever recieved in terms of my fucked up mental states (anxiety, paranoia, depression) was being around people who are not sympathetic to this type of thing.  around people who expect a certain level of functionality out of you.

It's normal for people to feel anxious, depressed, and paranoid. It's not normal for them to feel it all the time or so severe that they can't function. There's a big difference. Oh, and everyone around me expects a degree of "functionality" out of me. Also, except for maybe 4 of my many friends and family members, none of them sympathize with me. They just tell me to get over it. Seems like it really works, doesn't it?

Quote:

pong said:
life is full of shit.  everyone should do the best for themselves and others.

dont be a little bitch.

Way to look out for me, bro. I feel so much better now that I've been called a bitch for something I didn't intentionally do to myself and don't know how to fix on my own.

Quote:

pong said:

in many peoples experience these disorders are nothing more than a simple outlook change can fix.

Once again, my outlook doesn't change. Every time I try, it lasts for a day, maybe two, before I'm right back where I started.

Quote:

pong said:

PS.  do you really love me?  cus if you dont love yourself first i dont really know how you could.

That's a bullshit platitude that has little, if any, bearing on how love works in real life. And no, I don't love you, because although I'd like to be like Jesus or Buddha and love everyone unconditionally, I'm not there yet. In the meantime, I'll hate you. Sound okay to you?

Quote:

pong said:

gaahaaahahaahaaaa

its funny

Only to an asshat to you.

Quote:

pong said:

but your post seems like a suicidal cry for help.  maybe someday when my friend gets depressed he will just get the fuck over it like he should.  and i wont have a care in the world, wanna know why, cus he wouldnt have come sobbing to me anyways.

Not a cry for help. I was hoping to let assholes like you know that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about and you should keep your ignorant mouths shut. And you're right, he won't come to you unless he doesn't know you well enough to know you're just going to make him feel like shit.

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

#10457988 - 06/05/09 02:03 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Does one's brain not respond to its operator's thoughts by forming itself into an organ of perception for whatever stimuli it's operator focuses on?

So if you are fearful of say..roaches...and you concentrate your awareness upon that one thing won't your brain respond by reorganizing itself with an over-reaction to roaches?

So is there not a possibility that at least some sufferers of these disorders have unknowingly self-willed themselves into these behaviors as a result of their habitual thought patterns?

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

Invisiblepong
kretan
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mental disorders are NOT bullshit! [Re: Mysterium Fidei]
    #10457992 - 06/05/09 02:04 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Mysterium Fidei said:
Quote:

Shut the fuck up. You haven't the slightest clue to what real depression is if you actually believe what you just wrote.

i dont have to prove myself to anyone here. 

i know about the depths of depression.

i know about suicide attempts.

and i know that depression is a state of mind.

whether that state of mind is curable through suck it up and stop being a bitch methods or therapy and meds methods its still a state of mind and different people respond differently.

so you have a bunch of people on one side saying the disorders are so real that we need to pay a MD to listen to our feelings because it helps

and another side that thinks its a joke because they found a simple fix in their way o life/ attitude.

neither view is wrong  the OP's or the one he hates so much.

but the truth must be accepted that some people dont need hugs but rather firm loving pushes into reality.

--------------------

Offlinenotapillow
I want to be a fisherman
 User Gallery

Loc: A rare and different tune
    #10457998 - 06/05/09 02:06 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

everybodys part of a big RAINBOW! :rainbowcloud:

--------------------

Invisiblepong
kretan
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10458001 - 06/05/09 02:07 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

just because a depressed person tries to get out on his own power and fails does not mean that it is ok to tell someone who succeded that they were not extremely fucked as well.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale