Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleLedd
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Innerspace Flag
Outdoor compost Question
    #10447693 - 06/03/09 01:30 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Hey guys, its been a while!

Anways, I live in Massachusetts. Behind my backyard fence is a pile of leaves which has accumulated for years. The top layer is comprised of brown whole leaves, and it becomes more "composty" the further down I dig. This pile is huge and very discrete so I was hoping tossing some PF cakes in the mix would prodice some mushies. What do you guys think?

I know what the weather conditions must be, I'm curious about whether or not the substrate is suitable. It is already very moist. I was thinking about jumping back there and mixing the stuff up really well, maybe with some vermiculite added, to airate it a bit.

If this pile actually did colonize, I would have POUNDS of mushies for microscopy lol. Even just a few peeking up would be cool too =0)~

Thanks for your help guys.

--------------------
We mean nothing we do not mean to do.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Outdoor compost Question [Re: Ledd]
    #10447719 - 06/03/09 01:35 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Leaves alone, probably not. But you might be able to rake that stuff into some manure, and build beds like that. Really only one way to tell, though.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

InvisibleLedd
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Outdoor compost Question [Re: Doc_T]
    #10448511 - 06/03/09 04:00 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Bump Shmiggity

--------------------

Invisible200proofhonky
bluethumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Timbucktoo
    #10448807 - 06/03/09 04:55 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

it has been said that cubes will colonize anything organic if you entice them and make the conditions right.
Ive seen successful attempts on plain paper so im sure its possible with leaves.
I would add something to it though, straw,manure,coir,coffee grounds,etc..
I dont think your efforts will be greatly rewarded with just straight leaves, just my 2 cents.

--------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They try to take away everything God gave us,yet...
our money still says "In God We Trust".
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You take a mortal man and put him in control,
Watch him become a God,watch peoples heads a'roll.
If you kill a man then your a murderer,kill many an your a conqueror, kill them all and your a God.

OfflineToklo
Mushman
Male

Re: Outdoor compost Question [Re: 200proofhonky]
    #10448849 - 06/03/09 05:02 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I had some colonized grains that looked suspect to green ick so i use some leaves from last falls raking.  I just mixed the grains and leafy compost together.  It colonized and has started to pin.  I bet it would be better if there were poo in it, it would be better, but not necessarily required.

--------------------
It's all fake.  Nothing is real.  Where am I?

InvisibleEpilson Lyrae
Armed with hammers
Male User Gallery

Loc: Woody Creek
Re: Outdoor compost Question [Re: Toklo]
    #10449580 - 06/03/09 07:21 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I know someone who took a 'casing' out of an aluminum bread pan becauuse he fooked up another bread pan and when he dumped it he realized that the mycelium was eating through the bread pan. Anyway, the dumb ass took the other casing out of the other bread pan and put it on a brown paper bag. Well, when it was time to soak or remove the casing that was on the brown paper grocery sack: there was the most beautiful rizomorphic growth this guy had ever seen. So he threw it in some dirt. What was the question?

--------------------
"Freedom is something that dies unless it's used." H.T.
I've come to believe that the heart is the filter of the enlightened mind. Epilson Lyrae

InvisibleLedd
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Outdoor compost Question [Re: Epilson Lyrae]
    #10454061 - 06/04/09 01:51 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Awesome thanks guys.

Final Decision:

Im going to mix in a bag of fertilizer and throw in my spent cakes. The humidity will be higher by that portion of the summer anyways.

Thanks for all the input. Greatly appreciated.

--------------------

Offlinetwiztidthoughts
Stranger

Loc: Central Alabama
    #10454187 - 06/04/09 02:07 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

It kinda depends on the kind of leaves you're talking about. I'm sure some leaves are highly acidic, or highly.... um something else cubes don't like.. lol

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix