Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBigfoot
Stranger
Setting up fruiting chamber in Rubbermaid container?
    #10420000 - 05/29/09 01:56 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

So I'm planning my setup and I'm stuck on the best way to set up a good fruiting chamber.

I went to Wal-Mart and saw fairly large rubbermaid-like plastic containers for $4 each.  They stand a around 1.25ft tall or so with a fairly large base area (say, 2ft by 1.25ft, give or take).

My idea is to cut out the top of the container and place some Plexiglas on the top, allowing light to come through when needed.  Put some moist perilite on the bottom and give each cake enough room to grow out without touching the others.  Also I'd have a thermometer/hydrometer in each box to keep track of humidity/temp.

Unless this is already a bad idea (if so, please tell me!), my big question is, should I create some spacers to place in the container?  As in, square off say, four smaller areas to place cakes rather than just placing them all in the same area.  If one of them gets contaminated, I'd guess the spacers might prevent if from spreading (or make it harder anyway).  Get what I'm saying?  Is this a good idea or would something like spacers be unnecessary?  Using 1/2 pint jars, seems like I could easily fit 4-6 cakes in one box.  Does anyone have any comments or advice?  Thanks!

Also, should the humidity be 100% or just high 90s and should I drill a few holes a couple inches up from the bottom for breathing?  I've seen this recommended, but is this necessary and does it increase the risk for a contaminant to enter the box? 

Thanks a lot for any help!!!

-  Bigfoot

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDiabeetus
Day Tripper
Male User Gallery

Loc: south eastern United Stat...
Re: Setting up fruiting chamber in Rubbermaid container? [Re: Bigfoot]
    #10420222 - 05/29/09 02:33 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I am a new grower and am currently using this method. I used a clear Rubbermaid box about the same size you are using and drilled twelve 1/2" holes in the side of the box. I covered the bottom of the box with about 1" of wet perlite with another 1" layer of dry perlite on top. I keep the inside of the box at 76 degrees by placing a heating pad under the box and keeping it on low. So far this method has worked great for me. Here are some pics.

These pictures are the beginning of the first flush. I am now on my second flush and have 8 cakes in the box.
I have never heard of anyone building dividers to keep the cakes separate, but I don't see how it could hurt.

Hope this helps

Diabeetus

OfflineBigfoot
Stranger
Re: Setting up fruiting chamber in Rubbermaid container? [Re: Diabeetus]
    #10420454 - 05/29/09 03:20 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Cool man, thanks for the tip!

So let me get this straight..  Clear container, holes drilled at the bottom but a little above the perilite?  Looks like you got some rubber tubing and wedged it through the holes, so it's not just a straight hole to the outside?  You have a filter in place over the holes?

So do you just keep your perilite moist as needed to keep the humidity high?  How often did you find it necessary to moisten the perilite, and how did you do it? Also, what has your humidity been running at?

So you just used a heating pad kept under the container?  That's pretty cool.

Thanks a lot man for any help!  It's great to talk to a beginner who's already having a good lucking flush!  That's awesome bro!

OfflineStealthgrower
n00b Pwner
 User Gallery

#10420500 - 05/29/09 03:26 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Diabeetus, is that big shroom in the first pic fruiting right off the perlite?  It looks like it in the pic.  Pretty cool if it is.  Oh, and off topic, judging by your name, you might have fun going on youtube and typing "wilford Brimley"  There's some really funny shit on there, spoofs and remixes of the old liberty medical ads.  Peace.

--------------------
Infea said:
You ever seen that movie Constantine.  Well they pass into hell several times.  In hell there are melting human bodies, in your tub are melting mushroom bodies.  Your tub had passed into mushroom hell.

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
    #10420521 - 05/29/09 03:29 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Which product exactly?

http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/product/parentCategory.jhtml?pCat=HPCat100163

I use these for my monotubs:

http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/product/product.jhtml?prodId=HPProd2936118

I don't see using this setup, but replacing the vents with a shotgun terrarium setup wouldn't work.  You'd need to ensure sufficient lightning though.  A $5 6500k CFL from lowes would do the trick.

--------------------
Spongiform's Plastic Tek - An Alternative to Glass
Spongi's PF Block Tek & Automated Shotgun Project.

OfflineBigfoot
Stranger
    #10420590 - 05/29/09 03:45 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

The wholes at the bottom of the tub are just open to the outside without any kind of filter on them?  Those holes in the picture above are quite large.

So as long as there is a transparent top, I can shine the light down from above.  Just hang a light bulb above them?

OfflineDiabeetus
Day Tripper
Male User Gallery

Loc: south eastern United Stat...
    #10420638 - 05/29/09 03:54 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I soaked the perlite in a colander for a couple of minutes and just drained the excess water. If your humidity level drops you can add more water. Make sure you use distilled water and not water from the tap. I don't have any sort of filter over the holes. I didn't have a drill so I used a lighter and a screw driver ha. I just melted the side of the box and pushed it through. It worked fine.

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
    #10420660 - 05/29/09 03:59 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I'm working on re-designing my fruiting room, and here's where I'm at right now.

Picture didn't come out so well due to the bright lights.

I've got 3, 23 watt (100 watt equivelant) 6500k CFL's on the ceiling and 1 on a corded desk lamp I use as an inspection light or if I feel a tub needs some extra love.

I've got room for about 15 tubs with this setup, so it's fine for now.  Later on I'm gonna build a shelving system with it's own lighting and everything that'll be a much more efficient use of space.

(btw, only one of those tubs actually has anything in it, and it's about ready to toss out).

--------------------
Spongiform's Plastic Tek - An Alternative to Glass
Spongi's PF Block Tek & Automated Shotgun Project.

Offlinefunguystuff
Stranger
    #23155908 - 04/26/16 04:29 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

How did you incubate your substrate/rubbermaid bin?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate