Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekablamo
the Brave

Loc: Japan
IDEA! Has this been done yet? Pearlite in Panty hose!
    #10417992 - 05/29/09 05:56 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Well, I'm wrangling with the problem of having a smallish shotgun FC.  I have MANY holes, about four inches of pearlite, and only about 8 inches from the pearlite to the lid in my FC.  I was wondering how I could get more pearlite in the FC without taking space away from my cakes. I can't pile it up, because It will inevitably fall down getting all over my cakes, so here's what I came up with.

How about making a little bag out of a panty hose foot and filling it with pearlite.  That way, you can take it out and resoak it if the pearlite dries out, and also this might keep pearlite from getting on the cakes.  What if you could have like 30 of these?  I was just thinking of adding five or ten of these bags to my FC.

Roger Rabbit, what's your take on the matter?

Off topic,
I used to be pretty active on saltwaterfish.com's message board when I lived in the states because I had a 200 gallon Saltwater tank, and there was a guy on that board named "Bang Guy" and he was basically that board's Roger Rabbit, HAHA! Everyone asked questions of him specifically, and he always had an answer.  It's funny how similar the situation is.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: IDEA! Has this been done yet? Pearlite in Panty hose! [Re: kablamo]
    #10418045 - 05/29/09 06:21 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Theres not really any way of packing more perlite into a tub to make more room, you need the perlite to be light and airy to be effective, ifyou pack it up tightly you reduce the area exposed to air and it will be harder for air to filter trhough it also.

Ive also heard RR recomend not using tubs that small, cant remember the reason maybe because it drieds out quickly.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlinekablamo
the Brave

Re: IDEA! Has this been done yet? Pearlite in Panty hose! [Re: veda_sticks]
    #10418123 - 05/29/09 07:01 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I don't mean packing more into the tub, just putting mesh bags of pearlite into the tub stacking them up the side or something.  It's not packing, it's just less free air space, which, if I have enough FAE, then it doesn't really make a difference.

Hell, I could even tie them to the lid! HA!

OfflineDudester67
eat a dick win a pony
    #10418134 - 05/29/09 07:07 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Is there any real reason to do this?  4 inches of perlite in small FC should be plenty.  It's an interesting idea, but you'd be complicating things for no apparent purpose.

Offlinekablamo
the Brave

Re: IDEA! Has this been done yet? Pearlite in Panty hose! [Re: Dudester67]
    #10418174 - 05/29/09 07:26 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Well, it's my first grow so I'm really paranoid about it because I've got no hydrometer.  I'll take a pic of my setup soon and put it on here for you all to judge.  It seems a little cake crowded at the moment. It has 7 half-pint cakes in it at the moment.  All I know is that if everything goes well, it's going to be a very crowded FC...  Might make for some good pictures!

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #10418231 - 05/29/09 07:48 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

kablamo said:
hydrometer.

Hygrometer.
I knew what you meant, I just wanted to make sure that you have the right word in case you try to buy it online. A hydrometer is used to measure the density of liquids, like for brewing. Hygrometer for humidity.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Offlinekablamo
the Brave

Re: IDEA! Has this been done yet? Pearlite in Panty hose! [Re: Doc_T]
    #10418464 - 05/29/09 08:58 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Damn it, I knew that, sorry, I have three HYDROMETERS in my closet, I use them to measure the specific gravity (in my case the salinity) of saltwater for my 200 gallon coral reef tank.  I am used to typing hydrometer... haha.

OfflineRedDevil420
Antichrist

#10419476 - 05/29/09 12:26 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I've thought this through b4.

the side chambers would just be a plastic screen.  use epoxy, its waterproof when it sets.  you could cover the holes with polyfill or screen.

if you feel like doing that little bit of work..  you could set a container in with the substrate and take it out easily when needed.

--------------------
I'm Just Making This All Up.
Grains In Glass Jars With Professional Filters FTW.
Coir Monotubs FTW.
Sterile Technique FTW.
Fan dry, Desiccant storage FTW.
Ralphster's Spores FTW.

Mushroom Cloud - Dirtball

Offlinenoggin
jiggly
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Re: IDEA! Has this been done yet? Pearlite in Panty hose! [Re: RedDevil420]
    #10419708 - 05/29/09 01:06 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Can I see a picture of your saltwater tank?  I have fish and am keen to get into saltwater.

I like your perlite stocking idea btw, very fresh!  Although I think it's probably unnecessary.  Plastic tubs are cheap!  Can't you get a bigger one?

I know keeping fish isn't a cheap hobby!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags