Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineEngelsblut6
Wizards Apprentice

Loc: Keta-Kosmos
Incubation Techniques
    #10414260 - 05/28/09 04:07 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

So ive read that durring incubation placing them up on a simple shelf in a warm dark spot would be ideal, but are there any techniques, methods, certain spots that anyone can share that have shown them fast health mycelia growth? I get worried about sterilization, although ive also heard not to worry about it to much.

Is there any certain air conditions they need as far as like an air exchange or sumthing of that sort??

basically im just hoping i can get some recomendations for incubation spots and how to maintain durring the incubation process. Sorry if this sounds noob or anything.

--------------------
[[[|:.WARNING.:|]]] Nothing i say or do is real, I am simply a computer-bot, programmed to generate random responses and hypothetical questions for forum maintenance purposes only. Please refer to my owners manual or contact my programmer for further assistance. His contact information can be found by clicking HERE

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSkyHigher
The White Rabbit
Male

Loc: The Pines, the pines.
Re: Incubation Techniques [Re: Engelsblut6]
    #10414290 - 05/28/09 04:13 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

It's really as simple as putting them on a shelf. I use a tit (tub in tub incubator), cause I run the A/C in my house 24/7.

--------------------

"Total control now. Tooling along the main drag on a Saturday night in Vegas. Two good old boys in a fire-apple red convertible. Stoned. Ripped. Twisted. Good people." - Raoul Duke.

Offlinecdnshroom
Music Will Set Us Free

#10414304 - 05/28/09 04:16 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I am fairly new to growing, but i place my jars in a shoe box on my closet shelf, the room temperature is about 70, doing this my jars colonize in approx 3 to 4 weeks fully. The shoe box has a few holes in it so air go's in the box, but I'm sure just opening the shoe box once a day would be sufficient enough.

Some other people build incubator's, one of them is called the double tub tek or something along those lines, where they place the bin which the jars are kept in, into another bin partially filled with water with a fish tank heater in it, this keeps the air in the bin the jars are in at higher temp, resulting in a quick colonization period. Search it for more info.

:tongue2:

--------------------
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"
I'm a full-fledged music junkie......rehab is not an option.

OfflineSkyHigher
The White Rabbit
Male

Re: Incubation Techniques [Re: cdnshroom]
    #10414332 - 05/28/09 04:24 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Ya a TiT. Two tubs the same width, just one taller. Take the taller one fill with 5" of water. Put a fish tank heater in the bottom. I add a cap of bleach to keep the water clean. Then take the second shorter tub and set in the taller one. It should be a few inches from the water in the taller tub. Put a thermostat in the top tub and adjust until you get the temp you want. I have mine dialed into 79 degrees. Works great.

--------------------

"Total control now. Tooling along the main drag on a Saturday night in Vegas. Two good old boys in a fire-apple red convertible. Stoned. Ripped. Twisted. Good people." - Raoul Duke.

OfflineEngelsblut6
Wizards Apprentice

#10414337 - 05/28/09 04:25 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

ok cool, now what about sterilization? how careful do i have to be during incubation?

--------------------
[[[|:.WARNING.:|]]] Nothing i say or do is real, I am simply a computer-bot, programmed to generate random responses and hypothetical questions for forum maintenance purposes only. Please refer to my owners manual or contact my programmer for further assistance. His contact information can be found by clicking HERE

Offlinecdnshroom
Music Will Set Us Free

#10414392 - 05/28/09 04:34 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Well in my jars i have a pure verm layer on top which acts as a contaminant barrier. And that's it, after i pierced the micro pore tape which was over the four innoc holes, i leave it like that. I have never gotten a contam :tongue2:

--------------------

Offlinecdnshroom
Music Will Set Us Free

#10414401 - 05/28/09 04:36 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

If you dont have that verm layer, i would say just be sure to put micro pore tape over your innoc holes.

--------------------

OfflineSkyHigher
The White Rabbit
Male

#10415102 - 05/28/09 06:47 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

As long as you have the verm layer, incubating will be no problem. Once the jar is filled and PC'd. There is really no way to invite in contams. Unless you open the jar. Or you made a mistake in your substrate. Do you me inoculating? When you put the spores in the jar? If you are. Then you have to be very careful. Use a glove box and a room with no moving air. I use a clean closet. Wear a medical mask. Use rubber gloves cleaned with alcohol.

--------------------

OfflineEngelsblut6
Wizards Apprentice

Re: Incubation Techniques [Re: SkyHigher]
    #10415134 - 05/28/09 06:52 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

no no. i meant incubation. thanks tho. Should i give them some sort of fresh air every once in awhile?

--------------------

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
    #10415155 - 05/28/09 06:57 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Here's my current incubation setup.

(left side | right side)

Couldn't get the whole wall in 1 frame.

Temp is varies 65-75.  Being a bit on the cool side adds a few days to colonization time, but doesn't hurt anything.

--------------------
Spongiform's Plastic Tek - An Alternative to Glass
Spongi's PF Block Tek & Automated Shotgun Project.

OfflineSkyHigher
The White Rabbit
Male

#10415180 - 05/28/09 07:00 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Cool. Just make sure you remove the foil and you'll be golden.

--------------------

OfflineSkyHigher
The White Rabbit
Male

Re: Incubation Techniques [Re: Spongiform]
    #10415196 - 05/28/09 07:02 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I hate you spongiform. LOL, that setup is sweet my friend. :wink:

--------------------

Invisiblemister
Nature nut
 User Gallery

Re: Incubation Techniques [Re: SkyHigher]
    #10415222 - 05/28/09 07:04 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

If you do a tub in tub incubator, just go to wal-mart and get the fish tank heater that is preset to 79 degrees. no guess work. they are likr 20 bucks

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Incubation Techniques [Re: mister]
    #10415298 - 05/28/09 07:12 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I always put mine in the water heater closet.

- No fancy incubation chamber. No extra money spent. Just "free" energy radiated from my water heater. I have got contamination's up there, but its hard to say if it was my substrate, spore syringe injection, or the environment of the water heater closet itself.

There's a shelf built right above my water heater that makes it perfect for putting jars up there. And after weeks of monitoring with my digital thermometer, the temperature stayed at a near-constant 85F, which according to the rules of fungus growth, is near optimum for maximum mycelium growth. But now that its almost summer and the fact its getting hot-as-hell around here, it gets a little *too* hot in there at 87F, which is still not that hot.

Remember, mycelium death occurs at 100F! Don't get near it, i would recomend just below 90F (like my current 87F temp).

Hopefully your water heater is conveniently located inside a closet instead of outside the house (like some houses do).

Good luck and may the grower thrive within YOU!

Finding the Warm, Its-All-G Spot,
~ LogicaL Chaos ~

--------------------
"What you must understand is that your physical dimension affects everyone in the higher dimensions as well. All things are interconnected. All things are One. Therefore, if one dimension is broken or out of balance, then all other dimensions will experience repercussions." - Pleiadian Prophecy 2020 The New Golden Age by James Carwin

PROJECT BLUE BOOK ANALYSIS! (312 pages!) | Psychedelics & UFOs | Ready to Contact UFOs? | The Source on Mushrooms:shroomeryhead:| Trippy Gematrix | Dj TeknoLogical | Fentanyl Test Kits R.I.P. Big Worm :tombstone: || The Start of the Ascension Process was 2020. Welcome to the Next Great Era of Earth 🌎🌍🌏                                                         
:sunny::bliss::mushroom2: Oregon Eclipse Festival 2017 :: Aug 19th - 21st :: Pure Paradise :mushroom2::bliss::sunny: :rainbowdrink: Very Effective LSA Extraction Tek :rainbowdrink: | 💧 Advanced Cold Water LSA Extraction Method 💧 | :cacti::bongload: Mescajuana - Mescaline with Marijuana | DMT Dab Bongs | UFO Technology! :shpongle:Shpongle:shpongle:   

OfflineSkyHigher
The White Rabbit
Male

Re: Incubation Techniques [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #10415338 - 05/28/09 07:16 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

IMO and many others 85 is way too high. The jar could be up to 5 degrees higher on the inside, but to each his own.

--------------------

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #10415342 - 05/28/09 07:17 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

87 is a bit high, as mycelium growth drops off sharply above 83f and the jars will be a little bit warmer then the surrounding air.

Here's an RR quote on the subject:

Quote:

And I've been trying to correct that disinformation for years. It's all based on a chart somebody mailed to stamets many years ago showing 86F to be the peak temperature for growth of cubensis on a petri dish, and everybody just accepts it as though Moses carried it down from the mountain on a tablet of stone. However, every single experiment I did to try to duplicate that with extremely accurate temperature monitoring was unable to verify that bogus 86F figure. What I have repeatedly found regardless of strain is that cubensis colonization remains rather flat from about 75F through 81F. Beginning at 83F, the rate of growth falls off sharply. By 86F, growth has slowed down nearly 50% what it was between 75f and 81F. These experiments were conducted on petri dishes that produce little to no heat because of the very thin layer of mycelium. In jars, up to several degrees of heat is produced by the colonizing mycelium; so definitely don't go over 80F to 81F if you're looking for maximum rate of growth. Furthermore, bacteria and thermophilic molds such as Mucor, the black pin mold are stimulated by higher temperatures. Therefore using an incubator set to 86F is certainly favoring bacteria and molds, while slowing down mushroom mycelium growth. Below is a picture of one of my colonization shelves. It sits in my bedroom at normal room temperature and quart jars of rye berries colonize fully in ten days, and pf jars colonize fully in 14 to 21 days, but usually closer to 14. How often do we see posts where people have incubators set at 86F, and they're asking why their jars aren't colonized after four to five weeks, and they have large spots of yellow liquid forming? The liquid is metabolites that the mycelium secretes in response to stress, usually from competitor molds and/or bacteria. What has happened, is they've slowed down the mycelium while stimulating the competitors.

There's a ton of info here.

That thread is probably one of the best reads on this forum.

--------------------

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #10415420 - 05/28/09 07:25 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Uh-oh! I've been using Stamets cultivation parameters this whole time!

Looks like I F**cked up big time! So 85F is even too high, because Mycelium inside actaully produce their own heat (something I didn't consider).
Plus, the recently-discovered fact that "After 83F, colonization rates quickly drop."

Looks like I need to find a NEW place to put my jars. I guess my bedroom closet sounds good.

Thanks fellow ShrooMembers for providing me with up-to-date information on incubation.

Learning IS Fun! I'll have to spread the word (just in case other ShrooMembers are not aware of this critical information!).

Accidentally found the wrong G-Spot,
~ LogicaL Chaos ~

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #10415452 - 05/28/09 07:29 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

No sweat, I ruined my first couple jars by using a TiT set at 86.  I got lots of fun bacterial sludge though!

Anywhere in the 65-80 range will work fine for jars.  For bags I'd keep it 75 at the maximum.  The bigger the container the more heat it'll produce.

--------------------

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #10415554 - 05/28/09 07:41 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks dude!

I *just* moved my jars to an empty cabinet in my kitchen near my sink, and the digital thermometer is reading "77F", is that good enough? Is being near the sink a bad thing, because of possible contaminations?

Thanks in Advance Spongie,
~ LogicaL Chaos ~

OfflineEngelsblut6
Wizards Apprentice

#10416012 - 05/28/09 08:40 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Maybe, from the flow of dishes and food particles and water and such...

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract