Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePsomni
Opiophile
 User Gallery

Loc: United States
Hydrogen Peroxide and Plants (Final Answers)
    #10402613 - 05/26/09 03:27 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

There are plenty of posts here about hydrogen peroxide and how it can be useful to growing plants. I've considered using it to make my plant roots healthier and to kill fungus, mold, etc... I stumbled across a useful article on the subject in a hydroponics magazine of mine:

"Many companies sell H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) with the claim of miraculous effects, from improving the oxygen level in the nutrient solution to killing all pathogen on site. There is truth to this, but the presentation can be misleading.

It is true that when H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) is dissolved in water it rapidly loses an oxygen atom that becomes a free radical. Free radicals are extremely reactive oxygen ions. They have an electric charge and they attach themselves very easily to any other particle with an opposite charge. "Attach" in that case means "oxidize" or, in other words, "kill". It is the same process that transforms iron into rust. Obviously, hydrogen peroxide is not something to mess around with.

All micro-organisms, as well as every living cell, have an electrical activity, and thus are susceptible to attracting a free oxygen ion, which will kill them. The free radical does not have a selection of mechanisms that makes it target the "bad guys". It will oxidize indiscriminately spores and pathogens, but also root cells. So, at the same time that it is cleaning, it is also weakening the plant. The quantity of hydrogen peroxide that you would need to add to your solution to kill all pathogens will also damage root cells.If you fail to wipe out all the pathogens with an application of hydrogen peroxide they will rapidly return in greater numbers to attack your weakened plants. Doing something that weakens your plants when they are already attacked by pathogens does not strike me as the brightest of ideas. Also, the claim of extra oxygenation is greatly exaggerated. You must realize that this ionic form of oxygen is not the one that the plant can use. Plants absorb O2, the gaseous oxygen that is in the air, the reunion of two oxygen atoms.

The oxygen ion released from H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) after being dissolved into water will not live long or travel very far because it is so reactive. It will, most likely, encounter something to attach itself to very quickly. It will then precipitate out of solution with whatever it has attached to. Once again, this could be a cell, beneficial as well as harmful bacteria, and also a metallic ion such as iron. If some of those ions, obviously a small portion, manage to turn into gaseous oxygen they will simply leave the solution, at least for the larger part. The reason is simple: there is a maximum level of dissolved oxygen that you can have in water. This maximum varies mostly in relation to temperature. Once that saturation in oxygen is attained, any extra would simply "bubble through" and dissipate in the air. Granted, a minute fraction might be absorbed by the plant, but cerainly not enough to make any difference.

Don't get me wrong, hydrogen peroxide is a very good product. There is nothing more efficient to rid a system (referring to hydroponics),or plant grown in soil, of pathogens between crops. I highly recommend the use of hydrogen peroxide, especially if you experienced root problems in your previous crop. The use of a strongly acidic solution to dissolve the salts that might accumulate in a hydroponic system's line, as well as using a strong solution of hydrogen peroxide to get rid of pathogens, should be routine practice between crops. Just be careful when, or abstain completely from, using hydrogen peroxide on plants already growing in a system/soil."

This article cleared up the debate on using hydrogen peroxide or not for me, I hope it helps you guys too.

--------------------
"Fear the wounded, for they walk the Earth stronger..." -The Acacia Strain

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineProf. Astro
acirebma

Re: Hydrogen Peroxide and Plants (Final Answers) [Re: Psomni]
    #10402646 - 05/26/09 03:35 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Once a month or every other month I use about two tablespoons to a gallon of water, sometimes more.

I don't have the other chart.

--------------------
:hanky:

OfflinePsomni
Opiophile
 User Gallery

Re: Hydrogen Peroxide and Plants (Final Answers) [Re: Prof. Astro]
    #10402662 - 05/26/09 03:40 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the chart Amber, very helpful!  :smile2:

--------------------

OfflineProf. Astro
acirebma

#10402673 - 05/26/09 03:43 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Is the other chart.

--------------------
:hanky:

OfflinePsomni
Opiophile
 User Gallery

Re: Hydrogen Peroxide and Plants (Final Answers) [Re: Prof. Astro]
    #10402698 - 05/26/09 03:48 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Has anyone had good (or bad) results with hydrogen peroxide?

--------------------

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
    #10402707 - 05/26/09 03:51 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Peroxide works great, it stops root rot in hydro and keeps the roots looking white and healthy. You don't want to use too much but if you use the right amount you will be happy with it. I put in about 1/2 ml per gallon every few days. More if there are signs of root rot.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Offlinesatyr
אתה בעצמך יודע

Loc: Alpha Canis Majoris
Re: Hydrogen Peroxide and Plants (Final Answers) [Re: Stonehenge]
    #10403015 - 05/26/09 04:53 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I use about two tablespoons per gallon of water and water my indoor plants with this everyday.
The soil remains free of any sort of bacterial growth, and my plants in turn grow faster and healthier than those not watered with h2o2.

--------------------
Looking for Astrophytum asterias specimens; have cacti for trade :pm:

Invisibletrees
 User Gallery

Re: Hydrogen Peroxide and Plants (Final Answers) [Re: satyr]
    #10403805 - 05/26/09 07:27 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

i use that same chart.  2 table spoons to 1 quart. it seems to be working fine but i dont get 100 percent germination rate with cacti seedlings. i use it when i see the white fluffy mold growing in my germination containers. am i doing something wrong?

--------------------
Trees is dead, this is his mum posting

Offlinesatyr
אתה בעצמך יודע

Loc: Alpha Canis Majoris
Re: Hydrogen Peroxide and Plants (Final Answers) [Re: trees]
    #10403827 - 05/26/09 07:31 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Nah, mold is common with moist soil. Just don't let it get out of hand.

--------------------
Looking for Astrophytum asterias specimens; have cacti for trade :pm:

OfflinePsomni
Opiophile
 User Gallery

Re: Hydrogen Peroxide and Plants (Final Answers) [Re: satyr]
    #10412713 - 05/28/09 10:09 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Sometimes my friend's poppy sprouts (grown indoors in potted soil) get this weird grayish dust/mold on them around the base of the sprouts. Is this a mold or is it just dust? And if it is mold, could he use H2O2 to get rid of it? OR, is it harmless? Also, can H2O2 help with stem rot? I figure not.

:bouncey:

--------------------

Offline5HTSynaptrip
Dopamine Enthusiast
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: USA Flag
    #10413145 - 05/28/09 12:06 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I always added H2O2 to all the plants I had going in deep water culture.  For rockwool, drip systems, and soil I would just use hygrozyme.  The shit seriously works miracles.

If any of you want to get away from an oxidizer then give it a shot, it's a bit pricey but def worth it.

--------------------

Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge. - My hero, who will be forever remembered, Carl Sagan.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies