Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineprotestsong
City Fox
Female User Gallery

Loc: north of the 49th
how much longer should i wait? *pics*
    #10387640 - 05/23/09 06:29 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

how much longer should  i let this boy colonize before doing a g2g transfer? i know you're supposed to wait up to a week after no more grains are visible... what do you guys think?

thanks! :sun:

--------------------
"Everything you can imagine is real." - Pablo Picasso

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one" - Albert Einstein     

"He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it." - Douglas Adams

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
Re: how much longer should i wait? *pics* [Re: protestsong]
    #10387675 - 05/23/09 06:36 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Sometimes you get little spots like that, that just won't colonize.  Not really sure why.  If you haven't seen any noticeable growth then they're ready to go I believe.

If you're not sure, use a magic marker to mark it's outline then give it 2-3 days and see if it moved.

--------------------
Spongiform's Plastic Tek - An Alternative to Glass
Spongi's PF Block Tek & Automated Shotgun Project.

OfflineOogieBoogie
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Shadow On The Moon
    #10387676 - 05/23/09 06:36 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

its almost there give it a day or 2 ! :super:

Offlineshroomathan
shroomer
Male

Loc: Center of Europe
    #10388214 - 05/23/09 08:33 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

give em two or three more day. don't worry about singel grains which werent colinized: its because theres no space between grains and the glass

--------------------
Ich kann tun was ich will, wenn ich will, aber ich vermag nicht es zu wollen, weil die entgegenstehenden Motive zu viel Gewalt über mich haben, als dass ich es könnte!
  means
I can do what I will, if I will, but I cannot will this, because the opposing motives have too much power over me to be able to will it!

InvisibleHorusTh3Chrous

Re: how much longer should i wait? *pics* [Re: shroomathan]
    #10388353 - 05/23/09 09:03 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

thats probably where a bit pf water pooled, i get that at the bottom sometimes..

id dunk and roll it already geezzzz, some would say wait a week but i say go for it

InvisibleCH HELL
Brain Sturgeon
Male User Gallery

Loc: mars Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: how much longer should i wait? *pics* [Re: shroomathan]
    #10388373 - 05/23/09 09:07 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Is that the inoculation date 3/29?  WOW almost 2 months that is possibly contam in that spot and that is why it wont colonize,  so g2g is a bad idea.  You could try to transfer only grain that is away from that spot.
CH

Edited by CH HELL (05/23/09 09:08 PM)

Offlinecapt cap
art of revolution
Male User Gallery

Loc: VA
Re: how much longer should i wait? *pics* [Re: CH HELL]
    #10391487 - 05/24/09 02:58 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

...i'd try it in a casing for sure. Why not?

:coleman:

--------------------

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
Re: how much longer should i wait? *pics* [Re: CH HELL]
    #10391539 - 05/24/09 03:14 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

CH HELL said:
Is that the inoculation date 3/29?  WOW almost 2 months that is possibly contam in that spot and that is why it wont colonize,  so g2g is a bad idea.  You could try to transfer only grain that is away from that spot.
CH

Good eye.

If those jars have taken almost two months to colonize, they're probably contaminated with bacteria - rendering them useless for a G2G transfer. Does the jar stink like garbage or rotting fruit?

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: how much longer should i wait? *pics* [Re: Brennus]
    #10391669 - 05/24/09 03:41 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I noticed that too, that's why i said sometimes you get small patches that just refuse to colonize without any obvious signs of contams and I don't know why.  I usually just go ahead and use them.

--------------------

Offlineprotestsong
City Fox
Female User Gallery

Re: how much longer should i wait? *pics* [Re: Brennus]
    #10391744 - 05/24/09 04:01 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

thanks guys. yeah that is the inoculation date. to start off with, i was keeping the jars in a really bad incubating environment, so it took ages for any growth to show up. but once i made some changes, the myc took off and seems really healthy.

i've asked over and over again about contamination of this jar, and several people assured me it should be fine. (i still haven't gotten an opinion from a trusted cultivator though...) it doesn't smell like anything. and the myc hasn't stalled. i expect those last few patches of grain will be covered in no time.

i was just wondering how long i should wait once i see no more grain, to make sure the middle of the jar is fully colonized?

thanks!

--------------------

"He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it." - Douglas Adams

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy

Edited by protestsong (05/24/09 04:16 PM)

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #10391833 - 05/24/09 04:22 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Provided it's still colonizing, once it's covered everything, I'd give it 3 days to thicken up a little then go ahead and use them.

--------------------

OfflineAnastrophy
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: how much longer should i wait? *pics* [Re: Spongiform]
    #10391933 - 05/24/09 04:39 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

That's most likely bacillus aka wet spot in that area.

Although the myc is the majority, it should keep it in check.

2 months? I don't care if that myc is learning disabled, that's long enough for any late bloomer

You're spawning the grains I assume, coir is a good choice with 1quart verm and 1 quart spent coffee grounds to 1 brick of coir.

Its yellowing, the myc is letting off metabolites. That happens when
A. A contam its fighting off
B. Unfavorable incubation conditions
C. The myc is actually aging. Naturally at that stage it would have continued its life cycle but you have kept it away from fresh air and nutes and personally I see it yellow when the myc is done incubating

Spawn now, even if bacillus, and even if it gets in your sub, when the shrooms to fruit dry out before u eat it, the bacteria dies.

Make ur substrate with a little h202/peroxide, then when you spawn it to your sub, lightly mist with a spray bottle with a little h202, cover your tray(preferred) or tub with foil, leave in dark, oust up that room, and check it 3 days later.

When your sub colonizes completely, you'll have a nice white tray, and if its contamed, you'll know cuz its like a sour foul odor.

Let it fruit from there and see what happens. You have plenty of examples of fresh mushies to compare it to.

In all honesty, if that were in my closet, id do that, now, asap.

Invisiblecyb3rtr0n
searching for truth
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: how much longer should i wait? *pics* [Re: Anastrophy]
    #10392260 - 05/24/09 05:56 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

In your pictures it looks like the lid is off. Isn't releasing that much co2 a trigger to pin?

--------------------
LAGM v.2.024 Grow log

OfflineAnastrophy
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: how much longer should i wait? *pics* [Re: cyb3rtr0n]
    #10392421 - 05/24/09 06:27 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

A buildup of co2 is one of they ways the myc still knows its underground and therefore still continues to colonize

True as it reaches the surface it reaches oxygen and thus knows to pin, but light is also needed

I hope protestsong already has that myc spawned or is in the process of doing so.

Now that you opened it up to fresh air you also opened it up to all those contams outside of the jar so you're working with a ticking clock.

Offlineprotestsong
City Fox
Female User Gallery

#10393495 - 05/24/09 10:34 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

i did not open the jars.... but now that i look at the pictures again, it does look like i did!!

so i shouldn't risk doing a g2g? the myc doesn't look yellow at all in person. it's pure white. but if taking this long to colonize is a sure sign of bacteria, i guess i'll be spawning to coir/coffee/verm in the next few days, à la monotub.

so i should add some peroxide to the water i use to hydrate my bulk sub? what sort of ratio are we talking? 1:10 like for bleach solution?

thanks!

--------------------

OfflineAnastrophy
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #10393883 - 05/25/09 12:16 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

make the substrate. has to be pasteurized and cooled, just have a spray bottle with 3 cap fulls of peroxide. (the cap on the peroxide bottle to be clear)

when you lay the substrate in the tub spray it down then layer ur myc and cover it and spray that layer down. not too wet of course, just so that it looks nice and moist and spungy.

fruit that. pick the biggest or quickest shroom, or pick both. make a liquid culture from the stems.

hell, have a jar that says z strain liquid culture "large" 05/24/09 as the label for the largest shroom (which you would take this one for its genetics of being the largest) and have a liquid culture with the same label but instead of large you would put "fast" from the fastest growing shroom and then spore print the caps of each.

that way, you have 4 trays or tubs of the same strain, isolates, to see lc (liquid culture) vs another multispore inoculation (from the spore prints you take) and you would have 2 "large" tubs and 2 "fast" tubs.  (2 of each cuz 1 tub of the multispore from the prints and 1 for the lc and see what does better)

an lc is reusable, faster than MS but then you could have some fun and isolate some traits and make some nice ones to print for the microscope :-)

Offlineprotestsong
City Fox
Female User Gallery

#10399780 - 05/26/09 12:42 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

thanks a lot!

i'm going to spawn as soon as i can.

when layering your sub, how do you prefer to do it? first a layer of coir mixture (with verm/coffee/whatever else,) mist it down with water/h2o2, then a layer of spawn, then coir/mist, and so on, and finish up with a thin layer of coir on top? i've heard that making a "frosting layer" is actually detrimental... what do you think Anastrophy?

and should i continue misting with the water/h202 right up until pins appear? Are you even supposed to mist during colonization of a bulk sub?

or should i just spawn and leave it alone?

--------------------

Edited by protestsong (05/26/09 12:44 AM)

OfflineAnastrophy
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #10404353 - 05/26/09 09:06 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

layer like you described

spawn and leave the foil on in the dark. i dont even poke holes in the foil covering it. i take that and place it in a bin spray some oust and then close and drape a blanket over it.

check every 3 days or so and when you see nothing but white on the surface, wait 1 day then fruit.

i do it uncased cuz most the pics ive seen uncased yielded more. makes it easier

just make sure you got
sterility
fresh air exchange
humidity 95%+

in that order

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds