Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinePlatinum
Psychonautical Engineer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: New York Flag
Merging Internet Persona with Daily Persona
    #10379105 - 05/21/09 10:25 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I'm posting this here because I want more serious discussion on this topic.

I'm sitting here and turn on True Life: Some Shit About Online Personas

Now, this one woman I'm watching right now just has no real social skills. They exaggerate about themselves, make themselves out to be different sometimes, all different unreal things about them. "The guys on here don't get the real me, they get a sex object" this one woman just said.

Me, my online persona is different. I don't hold back here, I say things that are on my mind without hesitation most of the time. I'm much more true to myself I feel. And as time goes on, and I spend so much time as this "real" me online, I start to assimilate my online persona into my persona I present to everyone in my daily life. Sitting here thinking about this seriously for the first time I'm coming to realize that I've changed as a result of just being online, but also and more so because of this site.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePlatinum
Psychonautical Engineer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Merging Internet Persona with Daily Persona [Re: Platinum]
    #10380932 - 05/22/09 08:51 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Nothing? Really?

Offline5HTSynaptrip
Dopamine Enthusiast
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: USA Flag
    #10381108 - 05/22/09 09:18 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Depending on how long people spend online, I think what you encounter on the internet (on a regular basis) probably shapes you more.  Growing up in the internet boom I can already say that the overall feel of things is much different than it was 10 years ago.  I've regularly played MMO's since first getting the internet and back then it was mostly adults and things seemed to have a much different social environment.  Today a lot of children play video games and as such the social environment devolved a lot and this isn't just in video games but chat/forums/etc. 

People who haven't been forced to develop socially in the real world, as in you'd never spout off half the shit you say on forums to a person's face IRL, seem to have much different personas.  Being one type of person in everyday life and then being something else in internetz land.  Who's to say if this is good or bad?  I know for a fact that most parents who haven't evolved with this online generation have little idea as to how much children learn and are shaped by all of these experiences but surely it has a severe impact. 

All of that said, no, I act pretty much the same IRL as I do on the internet.  Whenever I've deviated from that I find I second-guess myself.  Not only that but to me it seems immature and reeks of cowardice.

--------------------

Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge. - My hero, who will be forever remembered, Carl Sagan.

Edited by 5HTSynaptrip (05/22/09 09:18 AM)

OfflinePlatinum
Psychonautical Engineer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Merging Internet Persona with Daily Persona [Re: 5HTSynaptrip]
    #10381248 - 05/22/09 09:56 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

5HTSynaptrip said:
All of that said, no, I act pretty much the same IRL as I do on the internet.  Whenever I've deviated from that I find I second-guess myself.  Not only that but to me it seems immature and reeks of cowardice.

This comment makes me think you misunderstood me a bit. I act the same IRL as I do on the internet, or at least, that's how it's become. I can be more myself online because theres no backlash. As a result, I have been incorporating that into my everyday life without realizing it. I am being myself more in real life. This isn't mature or cowardice. This is just personal growth. I'm 21 years old, I'm still finding out who I really am, you know? And having the internet as 1 outlet where I can actually be whoever I want (in this case, I am myself. Not some other person like so many people do nowadays) definitely helps with personal growth if you're being true to yourself like I am.

Maybe that makes a bit more sense?

Offline5HTSynaptrip
Dopamine Enthusiast
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: USA Flag
    #10381277 - 05/22/09 10:05 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

No, I got what you're saying, I was probably being a bit confusing as I saw no question so just said my opinion.  Basically I was just trying to say that for younger generations now, yes the internet helps shape their personality as you said.  It just seems that so many people don't grow from it or assimilate the good sides (or bad), they just act like stupid assholes online because there are no consequences when in fact they're cowards in everyday life.

Good for you though man, realizing the change and choosing the better parts for your all-around self would be advancement in my eyes.  There is nothing wrong with being honest as long as you aren't some ignorant/biased douche.

--------------------

Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge. - My hero, who will be forever remembered, Carl Sagan.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #10382355 - 05/22/09 02:23 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Sitting here thinking about this seriously for the first time I'm coming to realize that I've changed as a result of just being online, but also and more so because of this site.

You're welcome.:satansmoking:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Invisiblesterbeklang
w/e
Male

Loc: Filthy Rock
    #10382399 - 05/22/09 02:34 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

A lot of people see the internet as a place where they can portray whatever image they want and therefore become completely dishonest in order to save face.  I can't say I haven't fallen into that trap at some point since I started using the net in 1992... but I think it's much more liberating to retain your anonymity on the internet and use it to be totally and completely honest with others about what a loser you are.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals