Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

Loc: Flip Side
Looking for a couple answers for my next procedure
    #10361895 - 05/18/09 11:24 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I'm peicing together a full procedure for myself from all the info I've gathered from books and this forum.

1. I'm looking for a casing material that I don't have to sterilize. I want something I can just use with minimal prep time.

2. I'm also looking for a bulk substrate mixture that will be sturdy and not crack easily when moved/shook around a bit.
My available materials for said substrate mix are: Coir, Coffee, Straw, Worm Castings, Vermiculite, Gypsum, Oyster Shell.

--------------------
PAN CYAN & AZURE FOR TRADE

"If ignorance is bliss, THEN KNOCK THE SMILE OFF MY FACE!" - Zach de la Rocha

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather!" -Bill Hicks-

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Looking for a couple answers for my next procedure [Re: Lucid_Euphoria]
    #10361910 - 05/18/09 11:27 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

1- casing layers should not be sterilised, they are pasturised. 50/50+. MGMC is already prepared but it may still have to be pasturised.

2 - I dont think that the substrate used determines how storng it holds together. The substrate doesnt hold the mycelium together, the mycelium colinised the substrate eating it, and forming a network that forms a block, keeping in food and moisture and using as needed.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineAwestruck
Nerding out
 User Gallery

Loc: The U.S. of .... fuckin A
    #10361916 - 05/18/09 11:28 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

As for the casing material, I use coir straight out of the package and have had no contam problems

--------------------
Repaying my karmic debt to the Shroomery.
Looking for a Pan cambo print.

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

Re: Looking for a couple answers for my next procedure [Re: Awestruck]
    #10361952 - 05/18/09 11:37 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

As for the casing material, I use coir straight out of the package and have had no contam problems

Coir has contains nutrients and isn't optimal for casing material

Quote:

1- casing layers should not be sterilised, they are pasturised. 50/50+. MGMC is already prepared but it may still have to be pasturised.

Since you don't need nutritional value from your casing layer, then there is no point in pastuerizing it to my understanding. You merely want a clean micro environment with moisture to promote hyphal knotting/pinning I thought.

To add onto the discussion thus far, I have another question also.

3. Does anyone know where I can get the lids Agar has shown in this thread, also shown in his sig.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=30&Number=6817701&fpart=&PHPSESSID=

--------------------

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather!" -Bill Hicks-

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Looking for a couple answers for my next procedure [Re: Awestruck]
    #10361953 - 05/18/09 11:37 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Awestruck said:

i cant believe people are still using coir as a casing layer, when its a great bulk substrate. Spawn you shit to coir/coffee/gypsum and fruit it uncased.

--------------------

Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

#10362051 - 05/18/09 11:58 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

4. I also read in the Psilocybin Handbook that they would add 1/4 tsp. of calcium carbonate as well as 6mL of 3% Peroxide solution to thier grain jars prior to sterilization.

Will the calcium carbonate help balance the PH of the substrate down the road?
Will the peroxide be absorbed into the grain while being sterilized and help prevent possible contams?

I just don't see why they used these in thier grain jars. They also used gypsum which I understand is to help keep the grains from clumping.

--------------------

Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

Loc: The Valley
    #10362080 - 05/19/09 12:05 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

just use alittle bit of gypsum to your soak water.  everything else is unnecessary.

you can fruit your tubs uncased just fine.  i used to get great results fruiting uncased.

any combo's for a sub shouldn't crumble on you as long as its fully colonized.  the only subs that Ive have fall apart in my hands were ones that either werent fully colonized or they were contaminated.

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

#10362145 - 05/19/09 12:19 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for your input Blood

--------------------

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

#10365616 - 05/19/09 05:57 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Anyone else have any input on these subjects?

Or can direct me where to get those lids Agar uses or where to buy the materials needed?

--------------------

OfflineFellowGrower
Fungal Freedom Fighter
 User Gallery

#10366155 - 05/19/09 07:49 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Lucid_Euphoria said:
I'm peicing together a full procedure for myself from all the info I've gathered from books and this forum.

1. I'm looking for a casing material that I don't have to sterilize. I want something I can just use with minimal prep time.

RULE#2 (in this hobby) ...(is) DON'T TAKE SHORTCUTS!

(Rule #1 being; TELL NO ONE MAN!) :fearandloathing:

out of curiosity; why are u needing it to be "Sturdy?" What gives? just set it and forget it; don't "Move it all around" and "Play" with it:confused:

--------------------

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

Re: Looking for a couple answers for my next procedure [Re: FellowGrower]
    #10366285 - 05/19/09 08:06 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

RULE#2 (in this hobby) ...(is) DON'T TAKE SHORTCUTS!

I believe in simplicity. Minimal steps means minimal chances to go wrong. I think I'll just skip casing all together. Hows that for a shortcut? :grin:

Quote:

out of curiosity; why are u needing it to be "Sturdy?" What gives?

I want a sturdy sub so that when I'm floating it in water for re-hydration, there is less chance of it cracking a breaking apart. After reading some more last night though, I think I'll just straight add water/peroxide into the bottom and let it absorb it that way, while blocking off the surface with foil/wax to build up CO2 for pinning the second flush.

--------------------

Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

Loc: The Valley
    #10366953 - 05/19/09 09:57 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

your over complicating things man.

Offlineriosricky
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nor Cal ^
Re: Looking for a couple answers for my next procedure [Re: blood4blood]
    #10366989 - 05/19/09 10:05 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I use Peat Moss, Calcium Carbonate, gypsum and Vermiculite for my casing mix. I then pasteurize for about 90 mins at 160F.

Then I repasterize in 2 days for 60 mins. Repasterizing isn't necessary, but it helps me sleep at night. :wink:

--------------------

Edited by riosricky (05/19/09 10:06 PM)

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

Re: Looking for a couple answers for my next procedure [Re: riosricky]
    #10367025 - 05/19/09 10:13 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

your over complicating things man.

What is complicated?

Quote:

Then I repasterize in 2 days for 60 mins.

Now that is over complicating :cool:

--------------------

Offlineriosricky
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nor Cal ^
    #10367105 - 05/19/09 10:25 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Lucid_Euphoria said:

Quote:

Then I repasterize in 2 days for 60 mins.

Now that is over complicating :cool:

Repasterizing is NOT necessary, but it helps me sleep at night.  If repeating something over again is too complicated how did you have success doing that same thing first time :shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleLucid_Euphoria
Sojourner

#10367132 - 05/19/09 10:30 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Hey man, I'm not knockin ya for your method. Like you said, helps you sleep. Just poking fun man

--------------------

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10367150 - 05/19/09 10:33 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Lucid_Euphoria said:
4. I also read in the Psilocybin Handbook that they would add 1/4 tsp. of calcium carbonate as well as 6mL of 3% Peroxide solution to thier grain jars prior to sterilization.

Will the calcium carbonate help balance the PH of the substrate down the road?
Will the peroxide be absorbed into the grain while being sterilized and help prevent possible contams?

I just don't see why they used these in thier grain jars. They also used gypsum which I understand is to help keep the grains from clumping.

books are great sources of information, but you have to remember that some of these books have become quite outdated, also books arnt always accurate. For example, i just recently found out that paul stamets book that explains overlay and has a picture of a healthy normal casing layer (possible publisher error)

spawn doesnt need to be ph balanced, h202 isnt going to have any benifit either. Correct grain prep, sterilisation and sterile procedures will ensure you jars remain contaminant free.

Gypsum is a good additivek it helps prevent clumping of grain and also provides calcium and sulphuer, which is benifitical for fruits

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder