Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Valleys of Willamette Flag
Morel Cream sauces?
    #10358255 - 05/18/09 12:14 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

So I've got myself about a quarter pound of fresh morels, and I wanted to make something like a cream sauce with them.  Or should I make something different?  Hmm.  If I make a cream sauce, how should I make it and with what?

Should I make something else?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineeastuvdariver
Stranger thanwho?

Loc: birdhouse in your soul
Re: Morel Cream sauces? [Re: Maverick]
    #10359324 - 05/18/09 03:51 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

i find them very tasty in a light cream sauce with other wild spring edibles. if you have access to ramps(if not you can use spring onions or scallions) they offer a nice complement.

perhaps a nice ragout(not a ragu) of morels, english peas(fava beans are nice too but more work), spring onion, and greens(arugula or spinach). though i recommend blanching the greens seperately so as not to turn your sauce green.

i've also made soup with morels, escarole, cannelini beans(white beans,great northerns/michigans will do just fine as well). ad a little ditalini or acini de pepe(pasta) if you'd like a little more substance.

do you like lobster or crab? if you want to be fancy you could puree cooked lobster/crab with english peas or favas, and then pipe that mixture into the hollow of the morel, then roast them. for that matter you could stuff them with quite a few things.

if you have some that are kind of beat up, you could chop them, then sweat them with a little onion or shallot, then mix them with ricotta cheese and stuff manicotti or cannelloni or tortellini(oni) with it.

just a few ideas for you, the options really are endless.

--------------------
DISCLAIMER: anything posted by ME are strictly the opinions of ME and does not reflect the opinions of friends,family,affiliates,etc. of ME. the opinions of ME may not apply to you, it may not apply to ME next week or tommorow as the opinions of ME reserve the right to be changed at anytime.

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #10359503 - 05/18/09 04:20 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

you can simply saute the shrooms in butter then add some cream once they are nicely sweated, reduce, blend, strain then reduce again until desired consistency/flavor.

The way I would do it is to use some dried morels and reconstitiute them in hot cream (preferably overnight) boil, blend, strain then reduce. while your reducing you can add herbs, garlic, shallots,etc.

I like a little nutmeg and a touch of soy, instead of salt at the end.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Morel Cream sauces? [Re: soochi]
    #10359630 - 05/18/09 04:39 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Wow thank you for the ideas!  I'm going to try soochi's quick method because I usually fry and sautee garlic that way before adding cream, then I really want to try Eastuvdariver's stuffed morel idea!  Stuffed morels sound delicious.  I love lobster and crab too.  I also like seabass, and salmon and tilapia and all sorts of fish.  Flounder might be good to stuff in a morel.

Edited by DRTMaverick (05/18/09 04:42 PM)

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10370099 - 05/20/09 02:38 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I made a delicious cream sauce but didn't measure anything out really but I fried a quarter pound of morels in some butter that I had browner a crushed clove of garlic and a little basil, I then deglazed the fried morels with some brandy and then put in around a cup of cream (heavy whipping) then cracked some fresh pepper and added salt for taste.

Posted from the iPhone sorry about the large image size.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures