Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineUserNameTaken
Stranger
 User Gallery

Southeast Nebraska ID
    #10355931 - 05/17/09 10:20 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I found these in the front yard in a mulch bed.(Southeast Nebraska) They were growing in the decaying mulch. I'm still a newbie but I believe the two examples might be the same, just that one was an older specimen. I'm assuming they're not edible or active, just curious. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Specimen (1)

Habitat:
Like I said found growing out of decaying mulch bed in front yard of southeast Nebraska home. Rained all morning long and found these about 1:00pm.

Gills:
Whitish colored gills, attached. After drying gills turned a very dark gray, almost black color.

Stem:
The stems were all about an inch and a half to two inches. Very meaty and whole, not hollow.

Cap:
Silver dollar sized on the largest, and just a wee bit smaller on others. Opaque colored, and starting to turn upward. I believe due to age.

Spore print color:
Did not take a spore print. However after letting these mushies dry, the ones that were not sitting on their top threw jet black spores on to the place where they were sitting.

Bruising:
Mushrooms did not bruise at all. I tried to on the stems but nothing happened.

Specimen (2)

Habitat:
Also found in decaying mulch bed.

Gills:
Very bright white. Attached.

Stem:
About an inch to an inch and a half. Rather Thick and meaty, not hollow. White.

Cap:
A brownish red color when picked. Turning more brown throughout drying process. Quarter sized being the smallest and half dollar size largest.

Spore print color:
Again I did not take a spore print. However some were laying on their side and threw jet black spores onto the surface that they laid on.

Bruising:
Mushrooms showed no sign of bruising on stems or caps.

That's it for this front yard adventure. Like I said above any help is appreciated. Would it be a good Idea to post pics of the dried specimens once their done drying?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: Southeast Nebraska ID [Re: UserNameTaken]
    #10356752 - 05/18/09 02:32 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

You are right about them being the same species at different stages of maturity.

They are Stropharia rugosoannulata, an edible species.

--------------------

OfflineUserNameTaken
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Southeast Nebraska ID [Re: CureCat]
    #10357383 - 05/18/09 07:13 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Thank you! I'll have to wait until it rains to gather more of these for a nice stir fry or something.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: Southeast Nebraska ID [Re: UserNameTaken]
    #10359290 - 05/18/09 03:41 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I've never tried them, but they look tasty.

Enjoy!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract