Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Rye grain, PF style. * 1
    #1035536 - 11/08/02 08:58 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I'm thinking about simmering some rye grain, spooning it into half pint jars, putting vermiculite on top ala the PF tek, and PC'ing for 45 minutes. Then innoculate and later fruit on perlite, PF style. Essentially, the PF tek, replacing BRF and verm with rye grain. Would this work? Will i get a higher yeild or more flushes or something? What considerations should I take into mind?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineInMyVersion
Stranger

Loc: NE USA
Re: Rye grain, PF style. [Re: ]
    #1035622 - 11/08/02 09:37 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

You got the right idea, but here's what I do that I think works much better:

1. Pint Jar
2. Poke 1 hole in center of lid
3. Cut two or three pieces of tape, I use the sterile medical tape type stuff, but any non-shrinking tape should work fine.
4. Put all two or three pieces of tape over the hole in the middle of the lid. You don't have to flip the lid upside down. Use the metal side up.
5. Scoop your wet rye grain into the jar.
6. Cover it with the jar lid, tighten the lid to about 95%.
7. Pressure cook at 15psi for about 1.5 hours.
8. Remove jars from cooker, tighten lid hard, allow to cool.
9. Cut more squares of tape, same size as before, cut as many squares as you have jars.
10. In a sterile environment, oven door works well with oven on low bake, wipe your needle and top of the jars where the tape is with alcohol. Also, it's a good idea to have your spare squares of tape stuck to the top of the oven for easy access.
11. Stick your syringe in through the tape and into the hole in the lid, squirt 1 CC spore solution all over the top of the substrate.
12. Remove syringe, grab a square of tape and cover the hole.
13. Incubate.

You should get better yields since 2/3 of the substrate that would've been vermiculite is now rye. This method works very well for me, and it's pretty much all I use anymore. I've also noted this method cuts my colonization times down significantly.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: Rye grain, PF style. [Re: InMyVersion]
    #1035947 - 11/08/02 11:37 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

so do you just leave it as a cake from the 1 pint jar or do you case?

--------------------
What?

Anonymous

Re: Rye grain, PF style. [Re: ]
    #1036092 - 11/08/02 12:17 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

The reason people started using rye grain is because of it's ability to break apart into individually colonized kernels, therefor speeding up colonization of bulk substrates such as straw or manure/compost.

Kind of a waste to make a pf cake of it, it would go so much further if used to innoculate bulk. You can also easily spoon a bit into fresh grain jars to keep it going.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract