Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLucienne
Stranger
 User Gallery

Blundering Noob, glad to find shroomery
    #10354113 - 05/17/09 03:57 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Warning: this thread is not for anyone who is irritated by noobs and the mistakes they make, but for those who can relate or empathize and like a good chuckle.lol

So after watching videos on YouTube and Instructables I decided that I could grow mushrooms at home. The videos made it all look so easy! So I went to a site one of the videos recommended for buying mushroom growing equipment. (I don't think the site was a sponsor) I saw the equipment they were selling, overpriced I might add, and decided I could easily build my own set-up way cheaper. That was my first, of three good decisions (IMHO), that I made.

Unfortunately, my decision making skills faltered with the next decision I made.....I went to the spore site that the overpriced equipment peddler recommended and ordered four syringes. The spore site said it would take a week to get my spores. I thought, great, gives me time to build my set-up. So I made a Rubbermaid tote incubator (which I now find out I most likely wont need), I also make a real cool humidity and air control unit using a Tupperware container, an air stone, aquarium air pump, and a ultrasonic mister. Luckily I had all these things laying around the house, as I now find out I really wont need it, at least for my mushrooms.

I also had laying around an old modular closet, like a martha, but I couldn't find the plastic that went with it. I set the closet up and made a plastic cover with paint drop clothes and duct tape, not real pretty, but it works. Well needless to say, I probably wont be using that for my mushroom growing either. I have built all these thing and got them set up, I got my materials, except vermiculite, couldn't find it anywhere!

I initially decided that because I bought the spores on line I didn't want to buy any growing paraphernalia on-line, so I didn't order the verm. Two weeks later and I still didn't get my spores! I had decided that the next day when I got home from work I was going to get a hold of someone at the spore company and find out why. When I got home my spores were on the porch. Now I had everything I needed for the BRF tek, except vermiculite. So like a noob, instead of just ordering it and waiting for it, I started to look up alternative methods. Big mistake, <loud laughing and finger pointing here>.

So what I ended up with was 12 jars of long grain brown rice and polyfill lids. About three days after I inoculated the jars my whole bathroom smelled strongly of this rice,milk and honey gruel I used to eat for breakfast as a kid. It didn't smell bad, just real sweet.

Day four, I had a feeling in my gut that something wasn't right, so I looked up on the internet about contams. This finally brought me to the shroomery site! (Yea, Hooray, Woot Woot) Then I found out that all my jars had bacterial infections.

I also saw that many people suspected that they have received contaminated syringes from the spore supplier I used (not a sponsor). I dumped all 12 jars and washed them out and decided to try again with the syringes. I wasn't sure why I had the bacterial infection, but I suspect that it was the way I pressure cooked the rice (not long enough), and I didn't soak it before hand.

I still didn't have vermiculite, so like a stubborn noob, I found a tek using popcorn and polyfill or tyvek lids. I soaked the popcorn and some rice over night. I simmered both and drained. I allowed them both to drain in the strainer for 30 mins. I made 8 jars with the popcorn and 4 jars with the long grain brown rice.

A week later and I did finally order vermiculite! (32 quarts of it, good decision number 2) I think the rice jars are infected again with the same bacteria, the jars look wet, slimy and slightly sweet smelling, not as bad as the first ones. The eight popcorn jars may be ok. Three of them have what I believe is mycelium growing on them. I don't have the rice jars near the popcorn jars and I will probably boil them and dump them tomorrow night(didn't boil the first batch I dumped, and it may not be related, but the night I dumped the first jars into the garbage I woke up in the middle of the night with diarrhea, for no apparent reason).

I don't really think that the syringes were infected, more likely is that I had too much moisture in the jars to begin with, and I know that I was keeping the room too warm to start with (85*F in the room)as well. I still had two ccs left in one of the syringes, and because I finally had the verm, I decided to make up two of the brf jars exactly the way that they are on the RR video. (the third good decision I made).

So I must have made every mistake that a noob could, but now I have read through the teks and watched the videos about 100 times and I know that I am going to stick with the BRF tek until I get a few batches under my belt! I also know that I am going to stick with this forum, as I have found the best information here compared to any of the other places I have been.

Oh yea, and all the cool equipment that I built will not go to waste, I have decided to use the martha and the cool humidity control unit to start an ethnobotanical garden, and the incubator that I made seems like it would work pretty good for a cloner.

I hope I was able to get a few chuckles from some people who may have gotten their start the same way, what is life if we cant live,learn and laugh? lol

Edited by Lucienne (05/17/09 04:46 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineXaffect
Stranger
Male

Re: Blundering Noob, glad to find shroomery [Re: Lucienne]
    #10354131 - 05/17/09 04:01 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Use the enter button next time please  :bye:

Edit: thanks for fixing it! Now I will actually read it lol.

Edited by Xaffect (05/18/09 07:20 AM)

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Blundering Noob, glad to find shroomery [Re: Xaffect]
    #10356861 - 05/18/09 03:07 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Xaffect said:
Use the enter button next time please  :bye:

:lol:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

OfflineMindbender_ZP
Stranger
Male
Loc: Germany
Re: Blundering Noob, glad to find shroomery [Re: george castanza]
    #10356959 - 05/18/09 03:47 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

:smile: Good luck to you Lucienne. Hope this try with your BRF-Cakes will work. I think everybody who starts make some mistakes (me too :frown: ) but its OK, especially if you learned from them.
MFG Mindbender

Invisiblebob5

Re: Blundering Noob, glad to find shroomery [Re: Mindbender_ZP]
    #10357158 - 05/18/09 05:20 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

yeh .. hope all goes swell mate...!!

i currently have spent (wasted)    £70 pound on useless add-onns that i have now categorized as "useless"..

including 3 very large boxes ..  which now have holes in them and are unusable for anything...
two digital hygrometers.. saturated beyond the point of return  -  (£12 each)
two pricy aquarium heaters... (£20 each)    -  which are now gathering dust..

and two square eyes from .. worrying too much.. and being on the internet trying to qualm my paranoia...

'whatcha gonna do?

b

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Cultivation Supplies